Canning Supplies... what would you recommend? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm new to canning and am looking to buy the necessary equipment to start preserving, fermenting, etc.  I'm thinking a preserve cooking pot, a boiling water bath pot, jar tongs, a wide mouth funnel, and a thermometer.  I've been reading books and reviews on Amazon and would love some input from those that have been doing it for a while.  What products do you find necessary, especially helpful, high quality, etc. to get going with boiling water canning?  What brands and sizes and materials are great?

Please enlighten me!   TIA!

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Bumping this up...anyone have recommendations to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

I can not live without this! - http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Import-43605-Canning-Magnetic/dp/B002PX54XS

great for getting up lids, there are several types out there

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 12-29-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the suggestion!  What about pots?  I got a 20 qt porcelain enamel stock pot at the store today with a jar rack included for $40.  But then I saw the Granite Ware 21.5 qt. pot with rack for less than $20 on Amazon.  Any reason I shouldn't go for the cheaper one?

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
 What about pots?

I went with one that given to me years ago (20 qt porcelain enamel stock pot) - I hate it! but there is really not one out there that does not have the same issue why I hate it-----it's heavy to lift and dump, the racks seem to come in one size and it is meant for what it is designed for, I also do not do a lot in large jar but some so it make sense to keep it (I store lids and rings in it in the off season)

I don't do pressure canning - I only can certain things and freeze a lot.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List