Whole Fat Foods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My kids drink cow's milk.  Mostly homo/past whole milk.  Sometimes raw whole milk.  We eat whole fat cheeses and yogurts, etc.  No one is over weight (two slightly under but not for medical reasons- just high energy and picky eaters). 

Yesterday my children came home from school with an information sheet re healthy foods and some homework related to good sleep and eating habits.  All the dairy products listed specifically stated low fat.

Why?  Isn't it better to just eat foods in their most natural state?  Somehow I feel like this is incorrect information but every google search leads me to the standard information that low fat is better.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm guessing it's because obesity is such a problem in the US, and possibly other countries, as well. Many believe in a low fat diet, not just dairy.
#3 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 12:19 PM

We also eat/drink whole fat dairy products and we don't have weight issues. I too believe that foods closest to their natural state are generally healthier and that the body needs some fat in order to function. Kids especially need healthy fats for development. We go by eating mainly whole foods (grown by ourselves or someone in the community if possible), very little prepackaged foods, If I can make it from scratch I try to (such as breads, snacks, crackers, soups, no condensed soups or broths) and everything in moderation. We're not perfect, there are things I would like change about our eating habits, but we're working on it.

#4 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Mary enig - know your fats

Weston a price foundation

Nina planck - real food

Sally fallon - nourishing traditions

All good sources on this topic and why the low-fat theory is flawed.

lovestolearn likes this.
#5 of 10 Old 02-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Personally, I feel that sugar, and especially high frutose corn syrup, causes more health and obesity issues than healthy fats, but I believe the standard belief is the fats are the cause.
#6 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM

If you're interested in the history of the evolution of the low-fat theory, the book Good Calories, Bad Calories has a nice summary. It was the outcome of professional differences of opinion and medical politics that ended up with the official recommendation that low fat was healthier, despite ample evidence that it was far more complex than that.
gemasita and lovestolearn like this.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#7 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

When dd was in school I ended up needing to re-educate her about nutrition to counteract the total BS she was being told at school.  I used the Go Grow and Glow foods system to get her thinking about what's IN the food, and what it does for her, instead of just what ISN'T in the food. 

Bearsmom likes this.
#8 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

Yesterday my children came home from school with an information sheet re healthy foods and some homework related to good sleep and eating habits.  All the dairy products listed specifically stated low fat.

Why?  Isn't it better to just eat foods in their most natural state?  Somehow I feel like this is incorrect information but every google search leads me to the standard information that low fat is better.

I'm guessing because it is easiest to say "don't eat fat". It is wrong because it is too simplistic.

I don't agree with eating low fat versions of products generally because they usually have higher sugar or sodium added so they aren't really healthier. I will continue to use some whole fat versions of dairy products. I do agree with choosing foods that are naturally lower fat or good fats.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/low-fat-diet

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/healthyeats/2011/03/31/low-fat-foods-good-or-bad/

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#9 of 10 Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM

We eat everything whole fat and lots of it, we are all underweight a little! More so my husband and I, the kids are average weight (by world standards, not U.S.) I think people have no idea that low-fat foods, especially ones with fake man-made oils, do not digest very well. Frankly a lot of them are food-like products that in molecular form can no longer be classified as food and would be plastic with the addition of one or two more other molecules. 

We homeschool, so I'm not worried about my kids being lied to about nutrition, although I'm sure they have good intentions in school - it's not their fault. But what is the agenda behind low-fat? I don't know, higher profits because they can use the cream off of the milk to make and sell butter, sour, cream, and cream, really scamming you because all you get is dead white liquid at the end, with nearly nothing beneficial. Another thing to consider, the brain NEEDS healthy fat to function well - are we raising a low IQ generation by limiting fats? I think that is dangerous, especially for growing children!

Here is some good info on the subject: 

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/01/enjoy-saturated-fats-theyre-good-for-you.aspx

http://www.realfoodkosher.com/complete-guide-to-fats-and-oils/

http://www.westonaprice.org/making-it-practical/taking-the-fear-out-of-eating-fat

http://www.eco-babyz.com/2012/12/crumbling-baby-teeth.html

lovestolearn likes this.
#10 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)

This probably has a lot to do with the general (bad) diet advice saying to eat low-fat and the rising child obesity. Due to rising obesity rates, the AAP came out a few years ago telling doctors to recommend low fat products for kids even though so many kids need the fat and cholesterol for growing.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page