Brewer's Yeast vs. Nutritional Yeast - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast: which is better nutritionally? I know a version of this question has been asked before, and I've read over some of the posts. With what I've read while searching online and here I still don't have a clear answer, though. 

I've read that nutritional yeast has more b vitamins, but then somewhere else I read that they are synthetic or added in. I read one place NY has more chromium then BY has more somewhere else. Almost everything I read conflicts with something else. 

I have low blood sugar and a fast metabolism (self diagnosed though) and add nutritional yeast in my breads, snacks, yogurt, etc. and I notice a difference in how long food stays with me. It seems that I can go longer without being hungry or feeling weak. Recently though a friend asked about the difference between the two for helping milk supply and after trying to study more about them, I'm wondering if brewer's yeast would be more beneficial. 

Does anyone have information with sources about nutritional yeast and brewer's yeast they'd like to share? 

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've read most nutritional yeast is a glutamate so is essentially MSG. I believe I've read brewer's yeast is good for a milk supply.

Here is a recipe for lactation cookies: http://leakyboob.blogspot.com/2010/04/lactation-cookies-recipe.html

This is what I used (in addition to domperidone) when I was adoptive nursing: http://www.amazon.com/More-Special-Blend-Alcohol-Motherlove/dp/B000K6NLB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363414057&sr=8-1&keywords=more+milk+special+blend+alcohol+free

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 5 Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 AM

free glutamate is an issue with every processed yeast and might be a problem for people who are sensitive to MSG. if you decide to have yeast as a supplement, at least try to find a brand that processes it in low temperatures. Also if you are on gluten free diet, it is important to know that usually it contains gluten.

#4 of 5 Old 03-16-2013, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info on nutritional yeast being a glutamate SundayCrepes, I'll have to look into it more. :)

MightyMama, I was aware that nutritional yeast contains gluten, but I'm not concerned about that right now. I have thought about going gluten free to see how my body reacts but right now there is too much going on in my life to add that. Thanks for sharing though. :)

#5 of 5 Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I just googled nutritional yeast and msg and found more conflicting info :(  

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page