Coconut milk, hemp milk for an almost 10 month old ok? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi just getting more opinions on giving my baby girl coconut milk. She's almost 10 months and I leave her at sitter for 4 hours with food and 1 bottle of breastmilk.Want to stop pumping. At this age the amount of times I nurse her should be enough for her as I only work party-time.

Just exploring what type of milk to give her.

Cow's milk not an option. Both my other children and myself have dairy allergies.

joy.gifbfinfant.gifh20homebirth.gifcrochetsmilie.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

8YO Boy, 4YO Girl, 10MO Baby Girl

#2 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I would think that at that age if she's eating solids and it's only 4 hours you might be able to get away with no milk at all.

I don't know enough about the different options to give an opinion on any of them but I'm sure someone else will have useful info for you.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 12 Old 02-19-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks...She doesnt need it nutritionally since I nurse her when with her and she's on solids. Its more of a comfort thing with the bottle and milk when I'm away..

thanks for the input.

#4 of 12 Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 AM

I BF'd and then switched my son over to coconut milk at about 10months. He didn't have any problems with it! I would say go for it. :) GOOD LUCK!

married to my love, Keith (5.22.08)

mother to Declan (4.25.10) and Cullen (12.21.11)

Baby Boy #3 due January 8, 2014

#5 of 12 Old 02-20-2013, 12:39 PM

I saw a chart online, and I will try to go back and find it, that showed hemp milk to be the best dairy free milk for littles, for what it's worth.  My DD is almost 13 months and still nurses like a fiend but when I drop her with my MIL I leave her with a sippy of water and a sippy of hemp milk.  She drinks neither, lol!

Happy Wife Since '05 and NEW MOM! in '12

Om'ing to Peace

Blogging Now Too! Visit my Blog

#6 of 12 Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM

There is no substitute milk that is adequately nutritious to replace breastmilk. If you are going to offer other "milks" for a comfort or nap time bottle don't view it as nutrition and definitely DON'T replace 4 ounces of breastmilk with 4 ounces of coconut/hemp/almond/soy or anything else. ALL fake milks carry a warning about not being used as infant formulas because nutritionally they are not meant to replace breastmilk or even formula. We don't do processed foods & we don't do dairy either (due to allergy). We don't drink non-dairy milks. We might occasionally use some in a smoothie or a recipe, but unless they're homemade they're really not a nutritious drink. Read the ingredients of most non-dairy milks, it can be disturbing. The additives in most of them make them no longer a healthy option.

So I know pumping is horrible, but I actually would strongly encourage you to keep at it for as long as you're able if you still want her to get a bottle. Maybe just try to pump more on the weekends or in the morning if you can't manage it while you're at work. Maybe try to slowly start cutting back on how much you're sending with her too. Or start trying to phase out the bottle all together. Otherwise, you might think about what other nutritious fluids you could offer instead. I have left my older baby with an ounce of nettle tea or homemade bone broth in a cup. She might even be content with water in the bottle if it's just the sucking that she needs.

Hope that is helpful. No judgement whatsoever, just want to make sure you have enough info to make an informed choice. I'm sure you already know this, but nutritionally nothing can touch breastmilk!
#7 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM

Hi we found multiple home made formulas on the net . We liked one approved by a natural health doctor. We ended up just doing a simple one for an older baby of 16:19 oz of goat milk and filtered water and then add backstap mollassas (1 Tbsp) for iron and sweet taste. Goat milk i naturally homoganized so it's less processed. My child loved it when I couldn't produce enough. I exclusively pumped for 14 months and he did well on the combo. It looks like a light coffee but my son enjoyed it , maybe your child will too.

#8 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, getting sugars, others than those in breast milk, through a bottle, can be harmful to baby's teeth. I would not give anything other than water if you can't pump, in a bottle.
#9 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 04:21 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

why do you have to even give her any milk replacement. she will be fine with water and other solid foods. i am sure she will nurse like a champ. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#10 of 12 Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

why do you have to even give her any milk replacement. she will be fine with water and other solid foods. i am sure she will nurse like a champ. 

I agree.  If you think she is fine to go 4 hours without breastfeeding (which I would think she can now or soon), then just offer water and solid foods.  If she absolutely needs a bottle for comfort, maybe you could start diluting the milk in the bottle gradually until it's just water.  Nothing wrong with a 10 month old drinking water for a few hours and breastfeeding the rest of the day.

#11 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adalau View Post

There is no substitute milk that is adequately nutritious to replace breastmilk. If you are going to offer other "milks" for a comfort or nap time bottle don't view it as nutrition and definitely DON'T replace 4 ounces of breastmilk with 4 ounces of coconut/hemp/almond/soy or anything else. ALL fake milks carry a warning about not being used as infant formulas because nutritionally they are not meant to replace breastmilk or even formula. We don't do processed foods & we don't do dairy either (due to allergy). We don't drink non-dairy milks. We might occasionally use some in a smoothie or a recipe, but unless they're homemade they're really not a nutritious drink. Read the ingredients of most non-dairy milks, it can be disturbing. The additives in most of them make them no longer a healthy option.

So I know pumping is horrible, but I actually would strongly encourage you to keep at it for as long as you're able if you still want her to get a bottle. Maybe just try to pump more on the weekends or in the morning if you can't manage it while you're at work. Maybe try to slowly start cutting back on how much you're sending with her too. Or start trying to phase out the bottle all together. Otherwise, you might think about what other nutritious fluids you could offer instead. I have left my older baby with an ounce of nettle tea or homemade bone broth in a cup. She might even be content with water in the bottle if it's just the sucking that she needs.

Hope that is helpful. No judgement whatsoever, just want to make sure you have enough info to make an informed choice. I'm sure you already know this, but nutritionally nothing can touch breastmilk!

I appreciate the info and already knew everything you said but i have 2 other children that each have multiple activities. I have 1 day a week that I am not drivibg tgrm around and is usually dedicated to woeking in school projects with my 3rd grader. I am still pumping but I only get about 2-3ounces to which I add 2-4 ounces of hemo milk. I also nurse her 3-5 times a day so I feel with the advice of other mamas and my own experience that I am doing what's best for my family and I'm not stressing the low milk supply when I pump anymore. Luckily my lil 10 month old today baby is a great eater and loves her homemade baby food! ;-)

Thank you all for your advice!!

#12 of 12 Old 03-04-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Just read some other comments. ...thanks again for the advice!!! Love to all you helpful mamas!!!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page