Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Good Eating (http://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/)
-   -   Question regarding organic raspberry tea left it out for several days, is it ok to drink? There is something funny at the bottom?? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/1375747-question-regarding-organic-raspberry-tea-left-out-several-days-ok-drink-there-something-funny-bottom.html)

countryangels 03-02-2013 04:40 PM

Hello,

 

 

I made some organic raspberry tea, left it outside, without any sugar in it.

There seems to be something like mold, maybe, at the bottom? Not sure...

 

If I boil the tea again, will it be safe to drink?

Will the spores go away? I have read that mold can cause cancer...

 

I also boiled some cinnamon sticks, to drink the water & also left it outside,

the same day, but that seems ok. Can I also boil it & drink that? 

 

Thanks for  your help :)


countryangels 03-03-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

Hello,

 

 

I made some organic raspberry tea, left it outside, without any sugar in it.

There seems to be something like mold, maybe, at the bottom? Not sure...

 

If I boil the tea again, will it be safe to drink?

Will the spores go away? I have read that mold can cause cancer...

 

I also boiled some cinnamon sticks, to drink the water & also left it outside,

the same day, but that seems ok. Can I also boil it & drink that? 

 

Thanks for  your help :)

 

 

Anyone??? Please...Thanks:)


Alenushka 03-03-2013 12:41 PM

It is not OK to drink after 7 days. Not even after 1 day. And definitely not if there is mold at the bottom. Whatever is organic or not has nothing to do with it.

 

Here is link to safe food handling guidelines

 

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/basics_for_handling_food_safely/


stormborn 03-03-2013 12:42 PM

Think it might be the tea leaves settling at the bottom? I think I'd toss it just in case...where I live there would be bugs in it after a few hours. Probably wouldn't taste great either.

countryangels 03-03-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

It is not OK to drink after 7 days. Not even after 1 day. And definitely not if there is mold at the bottom. Whatever is organic or not has nothing to do with it.

 

Here is link to safe food handling guidelines

 

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/basics_for_handling_food_safely/

 

What about the cinnamon water, that does NOT have any mold?

 

What I did was boil water & toss cinnamon sticks into it. And the next day I added some more hot water to it.

 

What do you think?

 

Thanks:)


countryangels 03-03-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post

Think it might be the tea leaves settling at the bottom? I think I'd toss it just in case...where I live there would be bugs in it after a few hours. Probably wouldn't taste great either.

 

 

It was a tea bag, it looks like a spore of some type.

Originally I made some tea, drank some, then boiled more water & poured it over, left it there,

boiled more water the next day, drank some & left it there....

 

Many thanks:)


sunnygir1 03-03-2013 05:43 PM

If the temperature in the house isn't too warm, I will drink tea that has been out all day or overnight.  24 hours in a cool house is probably my limit.  I wouldn't drink two day old raspberry leaf tea; I would expect it would taste off.  I seriously doubt you could see a single mold spore in your tea, and visible mold usually will float on the surface of a liquid.  If the tea was uncovered it could really be any bit of debris from the surrounding area.

 

Cinnamon has some pretty strong preservative powers, so it is probably okay if it was brewed strong enough.  It would be best to put your tea into the refrigerator as soon as it has cooled off a bit, then get it out again when you're ready to drink it.


countryangels 03-04-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post

If the temperature in the house isn't too warm, I will drink tea that has been out all day or overnight.  24 hours in a cool house is probably my limit.  I wouldn't drink two day old raspberry leaf tea; I would expect it would taste off.  I seriously doubt you could see a single mold spore in your tea, and visible mold usually will float on the surface of a liquid.  If the tea was uncovered it could really be any bit of debris from the surrounding area.

 

Cinnamon has some pretty strong preservative powers, so it is probably okay if it was brewed strong enough.  It would be best to put your tea into the refrigerator as soon as it has cooled off a bit, then get it out again when you're ready to drink it.

 

 

Thanks so much.

 

Do you happen to know anything else about cinnamon?

Because I read that drinking the water boiled with the sticks has some pretty good

benefits, I just can't remember right now....

 

ALso, if you place cinnamon sticks inside of pancake mix, will it help prevent bugs? Do you know if this is true?

Thanks so much :)


Alenushka 03-04-2013 03:42 PM

How much does a cup of tea cost? What is it Russia? When in doubt throw it out.


MountainMamaGC 03-06-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

How much does a cup of tea cost? What is it Russia? When in doubt throw it out.

 

I am with you. Its tea. Make some more. You can literally pick the leaves off someones raspberry bush, dry them and brew them and drink it for free. 

 

I have heard that bay leaves keep bugs out of cupboards. 


sunnygir1 03-10-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

 

 

Thanks so much.

 

Do you happen to know anything else about cinnamon?

Because I read that drinking the water boiled with the sticks has some pretty good

benefits, I just can't remember right now....

 

ALso, if you place cinnamon sticks inside of pancake mix, will it help prevent bugs? Do you know if this is true?

Thanks so much :)

I don't really know the benefits of cinnamon tea off the top of my head.

 

Cinnamon is used to deter ants, so it would probably help in the pancake mix.  Also, just putting it in a bug-proof container, like a glass jar works great.



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 7.14%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.