FIBROIDS, what to eat, herbs to take, what to avoid to prevent & eliminate them? Can they go away? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-02-2013, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello Ladies,

What do you know about fibroids?

What should you eat, herbs, foods, drinks, what to avoid to help preventing them,

and what other things to do to get rid of them?

What are the things to do to avoid surgery?

Natural cures...

Thank you in advance.:)

#2 of 17 Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

Hello Ladies,

What should you eat, herbs, foods, drinks, what to avoid to help preventing them,

Natural cures...

Anyone out there have experience with fibroids? Thanks :)

#3 of 17 Old 03-04-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

Hello Ladies,

Natural cures...

Anyone???? Please....

#4 of 17 Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I couldn't read this and not respond. I don't have any information for you but my mother had them at a time when a hystorectomy was the "only" solution, so good for you seeking out information.

Have you tried posting on the Health & Healing board? You may have more luck there.

Best wishes!

countryangels likes this.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#5 of 17 Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

yeah i hear ya fears.

not much info out there on fibroids.

depends on where the fibroids are. 

if they are outside no problems with pregnancy

inside can be a big deal. either it affects sticky factor so you keep having miscarriages

or they continue growing with baby and so the uterus thinks its full term because of the uterus size and you have a premature baby.

there are two sides to fibroids.

the hard one includes lots of pain. lots of bleeding.

me? i was the lucky one. discovered it when i was pregnant (affectionately i called it my other child). have had them for 11 years and except for heavy bleeding (not sure due to fibroids) during perimenopause i have had no problems with them. it was near my fallopian tube so i could only get pregnant when i ovulated every alternate month. it took me 4 months to get pregnant. 

my mom's had them for 50 years. no problems. she had two kids. my friend on the other hand had 6 miscarriages before she had her 3 kids. 

if you have problems really hysterectomy is the way out. otherwise even if you take them out with surgery - they grow back. 

where are your fibroid/s?

have you been pregnant before, do you plan to have more babies?....

are you facing any problems now?

fibroids are cultural inherentence. african american and certain asians get them very commonly.

see that image of the fertility symbol with huge tummy and droopy boobs. makes me wonder if they had fibroids even then. 

the first 3 months of my pregnancy i could not eat ANY kind of super protein. not nuts, not beans. not anything with lots of protein. i found out later that due to hormone surges due to pregnancy protein really makes the fibroid grow in leaps and bounds. after that i could slowly introduce protein back into my diet (mostly vegetarian). 

now i have 3 more fibroid. hasant made a difference in my life. 

let me know if you have more questions. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#6 of 17 Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

yeah i hear ya fears.

not much info out there on fibroids.

depends on where the fibroids are. 

if they are outside no problems with pregnancy

inside can be a big deal. either it affects sticky factor so you keep having miscarriages

or they continue growing with baby and so the uterus thinks its full term because of the uterus size and you have a premature baby.

there are two sides to fibroids.

the hard one includes lots of pain. lots of bleeding.

me? i was the lucky one. discovered it when i was pregnant (affectionately i called it my other child). have had them for 11 years and except for heavy bleeding (not sure due to fibroids) during perimenopause i have had no problems with them. it was near my fallopian tube so i could only get pregnant when i ovulated every alternate month. it took me 4 months to get pregnant. 

my mom's had them for 50 years. no problems. she had two kids. my friend on the other hand had 6 miscarriages before she had her 3 kids. 

if you have problems really hysterectomy is the way out. otherwise even if you take them out with surgery - they grow back. 

where are your fibroid/s?

have you been pregnant before, do you plan to have more babies?....

are you facing any problems now?

fibroids are cultural inherentence. african american and certain asians get them very commonly.

see that image of the fertility symbol with huge tummy and droopy boobs. makes me wonder if they had fibroids even then. 

the first 3 months of my pregnancy i could not eat ANY kind of super protein. not nuts, not beans. not anything with lots of protein. i found out later that due to hormone surges due to pregnancy protein really makes the fibroid grow in leaps and bounds. after that i could slowly introduce protein back into my diet (mostly vegetarian). 

now i have 3 more fibroid. hasant made a difference in my life. 

let me know if you have more questions. 

Hi,

Thanks for the informative post. :)

I have African American blood (1 grandparent)

What is hasant? You mentioned that in the last line of your post.

I did not realize protein fed them :(  I thought hormones like in dairy fed them.....

So, if we cannot eat nuts, fish, meat, etc. then what type of protein can we eat?

I quit dairy a long time ago (that is hard, b/c I love cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc.),

I also have some meat once a month, when I feel super tired(I guess my iron levels are low)

But, I typically eat sardines, salmon, nuts, peanut butter, but not everyday...

Thanks for any input regarding what I can eat :)

I really do not want a hysterectomy, is there anything else I can do?

My mother had 6 children, and did not get a fibroid until she was in her 50's close to menopause, so I do not get it? :(

#7 of 17 Old 03-12-2013, 07:45 PM

sorry. duh hasant is a typo. it is meant to be hasn't.

now why are you worried about fibroids?

do you have them? 

are you trying to get pregnant?

if you have fibroids do you know where the location is? are they inside your uterus or outside?

no. no. no. DONT stop eating protein. dont go down that route without feeling so. intuitively my body was rejecting protein. i wasnt doing it on my own. my body was forcing me to. my dd came out normal smile.gif without protein the first 3 or so months of my pregnancy.

dont WORRY about your fibroids. unless they become a problem. 

many many women have them. and it just lives within them without causing any issues. 

i would only do anything ONLY if you are having problems. 

when i was pregnant i looked like i was carrying twins. i am not sure if the fibroids helped me have a VERY easy pregnancy. 

in my family menopause starts early so my mom and i got our fibroids in our 30s. 

please tell me what you are fearful about and WHY do you fear?

why do you want a hysterectomy? are the fibriods creating problems for you? heavy bleeding? pain?

honestly there are many ways to remove them. one is putting sand in the neck of the tumor and starving its blood supply and thus shrivelling them up. but as my then OB pointed out - what then happens to the sand? where does it go? would it create further problems in the body. 

he told me he didnt want to do anything. UNLESS it caused me problems. so since it hasnt created any problems i just ignore it.

however i dont know if there are other ways now. i am telling you info from 11 years ago. as far as i know hysterect. is the only way. i have not researched any recent methods though. however i do know that even if you have surgery to just remove the fibroids they grow back. i had one 11 years ago. 5 years later i had 3. i dont know how many i have now. i call them my children i didnt have (i wanted at least 4 to 6 kids). 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 17 Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

i had fibroids.....i had surgery(myomectomy) and when i was pregnant with my son(boy do they love estrogen) i was in pain. 18!! yep you heard me 18! and when my son was 6 months(now 24 months) i had them removed because i couldn't figure how to rid myself of them naturally. i had two the size of grapefruits..i got picturessmile.gif

but seriously, found out my mother has them and my grandmother. the kind in the uterine wall. i am also part African american.

btw my uterus looks awesome with no scar tissue at all.

are you wanting to get pregnant??

#9 of 17 Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:

dont WORRY about your fibroids. unless they become a problem. 

Find an OLDER OB and preferably not trained in the US! They tend to understand them - US older OB do not - they want to just remove them (as they did in the past) - other countries are not fibroid happy as we are here.

I had three large ones during my last pregnancy and within days of the birth, they shrunk (had only grown during the pregnancy) - it was only an issue for the US trained OB's I saw - one told me I was going to have a complete hysterectomy right after the birth and that because of them I HAD to have a c-section! That never happened. The OB I had said they are almost never an issue-ever!! They will shrink as you age and many women will have them grow during pregnancy and it's important to have a OB that understands them, sadly many do not!

NO problem do nothing!! and don't buy into "bleeding" and thinking it's all about fibroids either - most bleeding is not related but OB will use it as an excuse 

good luck!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#10 of 17 Old 04-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

also,fibroids did give me problems when i was not pregnant,you?

#11 of 17 Old 04-05-2013, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

for me?

No, didn't know I even had them - when I was pregnant they were huge - I had three, two were very long and one was round. I was told and from what I looked into it's estrogen driven that makes them grow, as the PP said. If you are having a problem is it too much estrogen production going on? D (vitamin D) is a big factor in regulating your estrogen level in some cases.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#12 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyamber View Post

yup depends on where they are. inside the uterus could create problems with pregnancy.

otherwise women do have lots of cramping coz of fibroids. 

some say bleeding.

it DID have an effect on me. when Aunt Flo DID return my length of bleeding days did increase from 7 to 10 days (yup. that's right. full ten days - 3 to 4 heavy days, 3 - 4 medium days and a couple of very light days). not sure if that was a coincidence or direct relation.  

#13 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

I think my f. is on the wall of the uterus. I am going to get another sonogram to confirm.

I appreciate all of the replies, I hope more of you will contribute, it helps us all. :)

Thanks.

#14 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 08:51 PM

countryangels - yes f. DO grow on the walls of the uterus. 

what matters is WHERE on the wall. if its outside - no problem. if its inside on the bottom i think not a problem. and on the top portion - then it might be a problem.

#15 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

countryangels - yes f. DO grow on the walls of the uterus. 

what matters is WHERE on the wall. if its outside - no problem. if its inside on the bottom i think not a problem. and on the top portion - then it might be a problem.

Thank you so much, this is truly helpful to me. I will verify where it is & if its more than 1 :(

Take care :)

#16 of 17 Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 AM

also mama no matter where the fibroid is - dont EVER forget about the possibility of  a miracle.

my f. was so big it was covering the fallopian tubes. it blocked one and almost completely blocked the other except for a v. v. v. tiny opening.

the ultrasound technician called my child the miracle baby because she usually sees IVF cases in my situation. or they take 2 to 3 years to get pregnant. it took us 4 months. which means two tries coz you release the egg alternate side.

so no matter where the f. is keep a positive attitude. 

#17 of 17 Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

subbing...

I had a couple of fibroids surgically removed before I got pregnant. They were small, but the kind that push into the interior lining of the uterus, and thus are likely to lead to m/c. I had hoped that my periods might get less heavy after they were removed, but nothing really changed on that front.

Now that I'm in my mid-40s, my periods are getting much heavier, and my cycle is getting shorter too. I'm not sure if fibroids have anything to do with that, though.

BTW, I'm not aware of having any African American or Asian heritage...but I'm adopted, so who knows?

Living in Wisconsin with my partner of 20+ years and our DDenergy.gif(Born 10/09/08 ribboncesarean.gif). Why CI Mama? Because I love contact improvisation!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page