easter eggs and dye - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Hello,

Question...  We dye easter eggs naturally and with the box set for easter.  Easter is at my moms with LOTS of family... who would not let go of the artificial dyes. 

How do you explain to a 7 year old that the naturally dyed eggs are the ones to eat without villifying the artificially dyed ones?  (he's VERY blunt, and he'll parrot whatever I tell him to the whole table... so I want him to know the naturally dyed ones are better, but not offend anyone else there).

Or, would you just let it go?  (left to his own devices ...of COURSE he'll choose to eat the artificially dyed ones... and til now, I didn't see a problem with it... but there is always color on the eggs so he'd be eating some of it, not just the shell...)

thanks!

:)

(I'm the "weird" one in the family, who's always saying no)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

When we visit my parents 125 miles away, my son is allowed to eat one box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese the entire time we are there. He can also have up to 1 slice of american cheese a day. He already is allowed one sugary "dessert" each day and that is the same when we visit there (though my deserts are made out of almond flour and other healthier ingredients, their are not.)

It's really hard for me to allow that, but I can't say no to everything and I fear the backlash if I don't allow any ick "food" as he gets older will be greater than any harm from the chemicals he is ingesting now.

You may want to tell him that the commercial dyes have chemicals in them that make them so bold and pretty but they're just not very healthy where yours come from...whatever source you use. Then drop it. He will be making up his own mind about these issues in just a few years (and may already be doing so behind your back.) The less he has to resist the more he may be able to hear.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

I grew up 4 hours away from the extended family, and I have great memories of being spoiled by the grandparents... ;)

The problem is my parents live 10 minutes away, we see them at least 3-4 times a week and they want to assume the same role of "spoilers"  AND they see NOTHING wrong with any of it.Sigh. 

I already tell them that the healthiest food is the stuff you can see/know where it came from.  So, maybe I'll just take the same line... look, this pink came from the beets we boiled.  This pink came from a tab of who knows what. Which do you think is better for our bodies?  ...then, if he parrots any of that back at the breakfast table... no one can really be too offended right?

(My mother got highly offended when I told my child that the dessert she served was not healthy....  ummm, who in their right mind thinks white flour, sugar, chocolate, etc. is HEALTHY?  I didnt say he couldn't have it, I didnt say it wasn't yummy... but my child, who thinks healthy food=free pass to eat as much as you want (which is true), will not hear that chocolate cake is healthy from ME!  (sorry, hit a nerve with that story)

ps - we haven't tried this yet, but if you're doing natural dyes...try boiling them in 1/2 red and 1/2 white wine.  Its supposed to make them mottled and crystal-y.  I'd never heard of that before, but I can't wait to try it out this year...

Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That's hard with your folks. Maybe share recipes that you find acceptable. I haven't tried all the following recipes, but I've tried most and they are beyond yummy. The latest is that dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you. She has plenty of recipes that don't contain chocolate, but since you mentioned chocolate...

Would you consider any of THESE chocolate desserts healthy? (I'd use macadamia oil instead of grapeseed and honey instead of agave)

http://www.elanaspantry.com/brownies/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cake-coconut-flour-continued/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-walnut-torte/

http://www.elanaspantry.com/double-chocolate-orange-torte/

This one is quite good, but you need to make it a day ahead. If you make it and eat it the same day the chocolate will whack you in the head. Not sure why it's less intense the next day, but it is:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/chocolate-cream-pie/

Love this mousse. So do my guests:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/dairy-free-chocolate-mousse/

This isn't chocolate, it's orange, but we serve it with chocolate. You don't even need the chocolate. This is the moistest cake I've ever had and it is SOOOOO HEALTHY (except possibly for the honey.)

http://www.elanaspantry.com/orange-cake/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

i love elenaspantry!  i was gluten free for a while (dc#3 couldnt handle it s a baby) and i was addicted to her chocolate chip cookies :)

I've managed to sneak a few healthier desserts over there, but they're really not interested in changing...  which leaves me walking a fine line between teaching my kids what i think is right about food and offending the rest of my family...

have you checked out chocolatecoveredkatie.com?  my current addiction is her deep dish cookie pie (although i dont really like that it has brown sugar in it so not completely guilt free, but its dessert)

:)

Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Straight from the bottle? Probably not a good idea to eat it in high concentrations.
In an egg (so it would be diluted)? Probably not a problem.
If in doubt, check the label on the box and see if it says that it's toxic.

Cheap TRX

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List