need fat and sugar subsitutes in baking that are healthy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 46 Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I use xylitol and stevia in a lot of my desserts- stevia does take some.. Getting used to or tweaking as some day there's an aftertaste, but xylitol is awesome! Used cup for cup with sugar it's a pricier option, but when sourced from birch bark its healthy and yummy (and GMO free!) my best friend has an awesome website www.healingcuisinebyelise.com and all her recipes are gluten free and sugar free.
Her brownies are spec.tac.u.lar. Does use eggs but mostly nut milk and coconut oil.
#32 of 46 Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Oh, and an awesome healthy easy dessert she told me: 3cups frozen strawberries + 1 avocado. Blend blend blend and sweeten to taste if you wish, I like plain. Yummy sorbet!! (No avocado taste!!!)
#33 of 46 Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM

H
#34 of 46 Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

oooh strawberries and avocado? i've done strawberries and onions. never avocado. sounds delish. once strawberry season is here though there's never any left to make it to the stove top. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#35 of 46 Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post

oooh strawberries and avocado? i've done strawberries and onions. never avocado. sounds delish. once strawberry season is here though there's never any left to make it to the stove top. 

No stove no stove! Blender!! You want it cold and frozen- its an icy sorbet straight out of the blender, no refreezing involved!! smile.gif you gotta try it!!!!
#36 of 46 Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherie23 View Post

No stove no stove! Blender!! You want it cold and frozen- its an icy sorbet straight out of the blender, no refreezing involved!! smile.gif you gotta try it!!!

love.gif i know. i know. but thanks for pointing it out. what i meant is fresh strawberries are so good that it never gets a chance to be cooked ever in anything. we are so lucky. if we drive 10 minutes we are at a strawberry farm in the city selling organic strawberries dirt cheap. even luckier. sometimes we get wild blueberries that they have harvested. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#37 of 46 Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh, and an awesome healthy easy dessert she told me: 3cups frozen strawberries + 1 avocado. Blend blend blend and sweeten to taste if you wish, I like plain. Yummy sorbet!! (No avocado taste!!!)

You can also do this with 1 pkg. frozen berries, 1/4 c. water and a little sweetener. Blend in a food processor until smooth and sorbet-like. I bet this would be delicious (more like ice cream?) with a little coconut milk added.

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#38 of 46 Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi! I use xylitol and stevia in a lot of my desserts- stevia does take some.. Getting used to or tweaking as some day there's an aftertaste, but xylitol is awesome! Used cup for cup with sugar it's a pricier option, but when sourced from birch bark its healthy and yummy (and GMO free!) my best friend has an awesome website www.healingcuisinebyelise.com and all her recipes are gluten free and sugar free.
Her brownies are spec.tac.u.lar. Does use eggs but mostly nut milk and coconut oil.

Although I let my daughter chew xylitol gum (she has some cavities that the dentist is watching and I want to try and prevent them from getting worse,) I have serious concerns about the safety of xylitol in food. There's a lot of info out there about the use of xylitol to prevent cavities and often it mentions that too much xylitiol causes diarrhea.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022986_xylitol_health_sugar.html

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#39 of 46 Old 04-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It definitely causes diarrhea for me! Any sugar alcohol (xylitol, maltitol, etc.) does. And stevia makes me really nauseated. So sadly, all of these no-cal / low-cal options are out for me -- and I'm afraid to give them to my DD for the same reason.

But I find that between coconut sugar or syrup (for dark-colored things) and raw honey (for light-colored things), I'm good. Honey is higher on the glycemic index, but at least it's a nutritious whole food with health benefits. I also picked up some granulated date sugar at my co-op yesterday and will be experimenting with it (date sugar is low-glycemic as well). Has anyone out there tried yacon syrup? Another low-glycemic option. Curious about that.

Thank you for the strawberry-avocado recipe and the recipe website!

asherie23 likes this.

treehugger.gif Mama to 1 lovely DD,  angel1.gif 1/12 @ 8 weeks (ectopic), angel1.gif 1/14 @ 7 weeks, many chemical pregnancies, TTC DH'S #1, my #2
#40 of 46 Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

oh boy. this all gets CRAZY!!!!!!

i have a friend with arthiritis.

so she can do very limited sweetner so xylitol is the one that i have easy access to. she can handle the alcohol. she and dd bake once in a rare while. so with her we have even fewer choices. she goes into too much pain if i dont. and since its once in a while i am ok with xylitol. 

OMG!!!! when i have friends over it can be a NIGHTMARE!!! and that's why i love it. coz i have to figure out how to make things taste good and try to keep it as healthy as i can. fresh ground spices i have discovered is the key. 

#41 of 46 Old 04-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of info out there about the use of xylitol to prevent cavities and often it mentions that too much xylitiol causes diarrhea.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022986_xylitol_health_sugar.html

Yes xylitol at first gave me an upset stomach (I binged on almond flour/xylitol brownies!) but it takes some getting used to and now I'm fine with it. I think because of its source it isn't as easily absorbed like sugar) I've learned to read labels- If you're watching for GMOs some xylitol is sourced from corn- didn't know that before.
#42 of 46 Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM

I read last night that nutritional flakes add a buttery/cheesy flavor. So this, I guess, answers my question about why Nutritional flakes were added in the futter recipe.
#43 of 46 Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I read last night that nutritional flakes add a buttery/cheesy flavor. So this, I guess, answers my question about why Nutritional flakes were added in the futter recipe.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I have read that nutritional yeast is a glutamate.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#44 of 46 Old 04-27-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I have read that nutritional yeast is a glutamate.

Not sure what the point is. Are you saying that's bad?
#45 of 46 Old 04-28-2013, 08:00 AM

The most famous glutamate is MSG. Now products are saying that they are MSG free when they are adding various "yeasts" (not baking yeast) that are essentially MSG. So, as much as I LOVE nutritional yeast I avoid it because I do not want to do the glutamate thing.

#46 of 46 Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page