Allergies/Intolerances - ADVICE? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just had my daughter tested for food intolerances due to severe tummy aches, head aches, and eczema.

Apparently she can't have dairy, grains (and gluten), or eggs.

I'm having a hard time affording the foods for her new diet as I'm a single mom and part time student.

Recipe suggestions? I'm afraid her diet lacks variety too................ greensad.gif I'm also afraid she's getting too much meat now - UGH!

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#2 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Is she allowed to have non-cereal grains, like buckwheat and quinoa?

We eat a lot of beans and potatoes.... and yes, more meat than I normally would prefer.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, we've had rice puffs and corn flakes (non-GMO) 

I suppose I'll have to quit buying organic in order to afford it

#4 of 10 Old 04-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We are vegetarians. Our daughter can't have gluten, dairy, or cane sugar. It's the cane sugar that's the hard one though I'd rather have that than egg sensitivity so I really feel for you.

So many of the foods we eat have eggs in them so I'm not sure where to start.

Actually, here: http://realsustenance.com/

Try her cauliflower pizza crust. My 7 year old didn't know it had cauliflower in it. He ate three slices http://realsustenance.com/revamped-better-than-ever-cauliflower-pizza-crust-graingluteneggdairysoy-free/#comment-64240

You could make it with Daiya cheese. That stuff is expensive. If you have a Sprouts near you it is currently on sale for about $3.40 a bag. I stock up and freeze it when it's on sale. It has no nutritional value, but it gives my daughter some options.

Expense is the hard part. I stopped buying organic long ago. I use a lot of blanched almond flour, but so many of those recipes call for eggs. Blanched almond flour is expensive and I need to buy it online. Until Tuesday 4/9/13 you can get 20% off at http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/search.aspx?find=almond+flour#.UWOlRpNwp14

I bought 25 pounds of almond flour and will store it in the freezer.

Check out the recipes at www.elanaspantry.com. She has a lot of almond flour recipes. She also uses coconut flour, but that typically requires a lot of eggs.

You can also try http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

I make tortillas out of mung beans. Here's where i learned how: http://spiceandmore.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/an-exciting-discovery/

Also google gluten free or grain free vegan. You're not vegan, but they'll have a lot of recipes you can use.

I was overwhelmed when I learned about my daughter's dietary needs. However, with a lot of posts like yours and lots of google time I figured it out. I now like this diet because it's healthier and more interesting than the one we used to have.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 AM

You said she can't have any grains but then you mentioned that she can have rice puffs (which are a grain product). Anyway potatoes are very inexpensive and extremely nutritious. If she can have rice then brown rice is inexpensive and very nutritious as well. Personally I don't think variety is a huge deal as long as she is getting what she needs. A diet based on potatoes and other starchy food with fruits and veg (frozen if you like, as it's cheaper and just as healthy) added is inexpensive and very healthy. HTH!

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#6 of 10 Old 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Here's an article about arsenic in rice: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesiesGirl View Post

You said she can't have any grains but then you mentioned that she can have rice puffs (which are a grain product). Anyway potatoes are very inexpensive and extremely nutritious. If she can have rice then brown rice is inexpensive and very nutritious as well. Personally I don't think variety is a huge deal as long as she is getting what she needs. A diet based on potatoes and other starchy food with fruits and veg (frozen if you like, as it's cheaper and just as healthy) added is inexpensive and very healthy. HTH!

Her doc said she can have rice and quinoa. Otherwise- grains are out. (is quinoa even considered a grain? a seed?) Thanks for the advice!

#8 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 01:49 AM

Quinoa is botanically a seed, but from a macronutrient perspective it's a grain. It's lucky she can have rice and quinoa, they are both versatile and highly nutritious options! I think you can even get brown rice pasta.

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#9 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Botanically, a grain is a fruit of the grass family, and all share a specific structure.  Wheat, rye, teff, sorghum are all grains.  Grains and seeds are specific types of "fruits"-- not the popular definition, but the botanical definition.  Botanically, quinoa's fruit is a just a seed.  

But you can't put much store in botanical definitions-- according to botanists, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries are not berries at all, but grapes, eggplants, even bananas and pumpkins all are.  Pretty useless-- no one goes "compound-druping", we go "berrying".  Screw the botanists. orngtongue.gif

However, it's enough of a difference that it is good to clarify with allergists just what is meant when they instruct "no grains".  Buckwheat and amaranth are also grain-like seeds that would be nice to add to a slim diet.  One can be allergic to them as well, which is why your allergist might have specified "rice and quinoa".  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#10 of 10 Old 04-11-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Ye
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

Botanically, a grain is a fruit of the grass family, and all share a specific structure.  Wheat, rye, teff, sorghum are all grains.  Grains and seeds are specific types of "fruits"-- not the popular definition, but the botanical definition.  Botanically, quinoa's fruit is a just a seed.  

But you can't put much store in botanical definitions-- according to botanists, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries are not berries at all, but grapes, eggplants, even bananas and pumpkins all are.  Pretty useless-- no one goes "compound-druping", we go "berrying".  Screw the botanists. orngtongue.gif

However, it's enough of a difference that it is good to clarify with allergists just what is meant when they instruct "no grains".  Buckwheat and amaranth are also grain-like seeds that would be nice to add to a slim diet.  One can be allergic to them as well, which is why your allergist might have specified "rice and quinoa".  

Yes! He gave a list and it included rye, buckwheat, and more- she's not to have any of it.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page