need ideas: no-cook, high-power, easy / simple lunch ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I will be doing a training / retreat next month where I have to bring my own food for lunch and snacks, in advance (meaning I arrive on the first day and need it all there with me ahead of time for the full seven days, no chance to go shopping during the training). This training is very physically demanding and my lunch will need to be foods that give me a sustained energy boost. I'm not sure but I don't think I'll have a microwave available and certainly not a stove or oven, but definitely a fridge and cabinet space. I need ideas that I can assemble easily, and perhaps also some pre-made stuff. Ideas I have so far:

hummus and raw veg for dipping

make wraps or sandwiches with cheese/ cottage cheese, veg, nori flakes, seeds and nuts

good old peanut butter and jelly

dried fruit / nuts/ trail mix

power bars ,etc

olives

hard-boiled eggs

smoked tofu

soup cups (we'll have a water boiler)

Any other ideas? I have a very fast metabolism and I would normally eat a huge, warm meal midday to keep me going....but unfortunately we only have warm meals for dinner during the retreat. I'm a bit worried I won't be able to eat a big enough lunch to really fill me up and keep me going. Also are there any teas or other drinks I could drink to this end (we can't use caffeine during the retreat though)?

TIA!  broc1.gifeat.gif carrot.gif

ETA: I'm not sure if this would fare better in the meal planning and/or vegetarian forum, so mods feel free to move it.

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

BRUTAL!!!!!

If you have a water boiler can you make yourself couscous? Throw in nuts/dried fruit/and some pre-diced veggies? Things like peppers/cuke/radish that you could also throw into a wrap

Also if you can boil water what about miso to sip on? Lots of protein. Throw in some dried seaweed and tofu.

I'd make sure to bring a few avocados and TONS of nuts and seeds.

Make some homemade granola bars or load up on luna bars before you go.

If you do dairy-granola and yogurt...or soy yogurt

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Definitely stock up on Lara Bars--dates and nuts and maybe some random fruit, depending on the flavor.

Yes, avocados. Get them in varying degrees of hardness.

This are high calorie, yummy and easy to make. You could make in advance (they'd need refrigeration) or take the ingredients with you (no refrigeration necessary until you make them.) I tried making them without the cocoa but people didn't like them so well.

Raw Chocolate Macaroons

2 1/2 c. dried, shredded coconut
1/8 t. sea salt
½ cup cocoa
3/4 c. coconut oil, melted
¼ cup raw honey

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.
Form into small mounds and place in freezer for 30 minutes before serving.
Store in fridge.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas so far.

I found out today I won't even have any fridge space. bigeyes.gif  I could possibly put a few very small things in there but basically I have to bring mostly non-perishable non-refrigerated food. Yipes! Looks like I'm gonna be living off pb&j for that week.

So does anyone have a recipe for energy balls that doesn't need refrigeration?

Mama since 2010
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 AM

Have u heard of those cookies called "no bakes" that are rolled/Quaker oats with peanut butter and cocoa powder I think? They are super filling. U roll em and put in fridge and they harden. Larabars are good. I like sliced cheese in baggies. You could also do mayo based "salads" with a fork, like potato salad or egg salad. And mix in good veggies So they dont seem so 1960s. Those are all ideas for those who need lots of calories.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Bummer there's no fridge space!  I was going to suggest kiefer (sp?) to drink during the day for something filling and high in nutrition.  Coconut water *might* be satisfying otherwise?  Ginseng tea might help somewhat for energy - the instant miso soups are good for that too.

You can get non-refrigerated individual hummus and bean dips (a canned/jarred bean dip would probably last overnight without refrigeration - spread it all over tortillas and roll up).  

There are also mini cans of garbanzo beans and beets you can get (toss either with some salad dressing - not too bad, newman's olive oil dressing doesn't need refrigeration).  

Canned 3 bean salads are usually okay too - have it with some crackers or bread (or in a pita pocket).    

Instant couscous or tabouleh is decent (both just need the hot water added).  You can soak plain bulgur wheat in hot water and juice and add canned fruit for a filling fruit salad.  Bagels with nut butter or honey would be filling too.  I used to often have granola (get some kind with extra nuts for added fats/protein) and applesauce (individual cups would keep unrefrigerated).     

Old 04-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Nuts are definitely good and couscous is awesomely easy, add boiling water and cover 5 minutes- so good with veggies. Beef jerky
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM

How about individually packaged nut butters, coconut oil/butter, and cocoa bliss?

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chocolate-Coconut-Butter-Packets/dp/B004ULUTF6/ref=pd_sim_gro_2

http://www.amazon.com/Artisana-Raw-Organic-Cashew-Butter/dp/B004VELBWC/ref=sr_1_9?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1365793478&sr=1-9&keywords=artisana

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the great ideas!

So yesterday I started experimenting with energy ball recipes and made some really yummy ones. I am keeping half of them unrefrigerated to see how they hold up but looks good so far!

I had also thought of the jarred hummus, which I could consume in two meals before it went bad after opening. And since I'll be missing fresh fruit and veg (well I can bring some but none of it will last the whole week, except maybe apples and hard avocados which will ripen) canned is the next best thing!

Mama since 2010

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List