Spirulina, my nutrition inspiration - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I started to take an interest in nutrition about five years ago when I found a dietician on youtube.  On her top ten list of super foods was something called spirulina. Spirulina is farmed in India and that's where we just so happened to be as well at the time.

Spirulina is an unusual food, farmed in a very curious little flower power commune in south India named Auroville.  Very cool 60's cult hippy new age stuff that is still cool today and I am very happy to see is still thriving.  I think the makers of spirulina spend little to no money on promotion, hence you are less likely to hear about it than you will hear about acai (yawn), goji, coconut, and a whole bunch of other supplements and exotic foods. But spirulina is an amazing food.

Anyway, since my FIL was going thru cancer treatment at the time and I wanted him to get on good antioxidants going forward, I had 10 pounds of goji berries and about 5 pounds of spirulina shipped over to him.  He had a shake of that every morning mixed with fresh pomegrante juice.  He is still cancer free and while I strongly believe his nutrition had little to do with THAT, it has inspired me to avoid cancer causing foods and eat well.

Turmeric is also used very generously in Indian dishes but you will notice there is no less prevalence of cancer in India than elsewhere.

Now that I am pregnant I too eat a heaping spoonful of spirulina every day and 40 grams of hormone free whey powder in a smoothie (which helps to prevent preeclampsia and whatnot).

What is your hippest nutritional snackage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK here is a link to the Auroville website. It attracts do gooders from all over the world and just makes me proud to be human:-)

http://www.auroville.org/index.htm

http://www.auroville.org/health/food/spirulina.htm

One day I hope to visit.  It will be nice to not have to shave too treehugger.gif

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page