Sugar-Free Mamas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So after finding out months ago our son had a intolerance for reduced fat milk products, I have once again delved into the Elimination Diet to eliminate gluten, and sugar, to find out WHAT is causing our son's aggressiveness. After a short period of neither, he stopped crying in frustration, and stopped hitting us, and the cats, when he was angry. It was like...a miracle. It's been difficult, though, because these past couple months, and next couple, are filled with birthdays.

..So, for those who have a sugar free household, what do you do for birthdays? I'm talking, no cakes or cupcakes or anything like that. I made coconut milk ice cream for my son's birthday this past March, which, he isn't too fond of but I love it, lol... I'm just wondering, what do you guys make for your kids birthdays without the heaping amounts of sugar?

#2 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We took gluten and cow's milk (but not cheese) out of our son's diet and his behavior change was amazing. He got gluten twice and it was awful. He has not had cow's milk in several months so I don't know if it was a culprit.

You could try these cookies and use gluten free oats.

Healthy Banana Oatmeal Sponge Cookies for Kids Recipe #97312

I will warn you, most adults will not like these cookies because of the finished texture, which is spongy, but if you are looking for something super healthy for younger kids, this is the recipe for you. You can't get much healthier than these, and the young ones will eat them up!

by ludeluh

12-18

cookies

time to make 25 min 10 min prep

1          cup mashed ripe bananas

2          cups oatmeal

1/2       teaspoon vanilla

1/4       cup applesauce

1/3       cup raisins

1/2       teaspoon cinnamon

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Mix all ingredients until moist.

3. (I use old-fashioned rolled oats, but imagine you could use quick-cook oats instead).

4. Mixture will be gooey and sticky.

5. That is normal.

6. Drop by tablespoonful onto ungreased baking sheet.

7. Flatten to desired thickness and shape, as cookies WILL NOT spread on baking.

8. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

9. Remove to wire rack to cool.

© 2007 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm a fan of the Paleo diet, so I'm well aware that gluten, as well as sugar/food coloring/preservatives can cause issues. But unfortunately, we are living with my in-laws, and money is tight, so we don't have many options right now. He had half of a chocolate cupcake from my dad's birthday yesterday, and now today he's being easily frustrated, and crying, and hitting.. The few days he was off of both he was just....so chill. I've been unable to pinpoint which is causing his aggression, as I said, due to the months of birthdays.... So he's had both sugar and gluten..but I know both can be equally traumatic for their little bodies.

I also read something about using sweet potatoes. So there may be only a few options, but at least there are *some*! I don't believe birthdays go hand in hand with birthday cakes, anyway.

I mean.. I did some research into sugar, and no one's been able to pinpoint sugar causing aggression(or at least nothing I've found), but they've certainly been able to pinpoint food additives and food colorings causing aggression, so.... it's a long process. @__@ I never wanted him to have sugar, anyway.. but then he got older...and Halloween came up...and then his grand-daddy was all, "OMGZ he looks so adorable eating candy, must feed him more!!!" Sooo... it got all out of control.

#4 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Why must there be a sweet or sweet alternative for a birthday? Instead, plan a trip or give a gift of a lawn game or something interactive.

I also dealt with Halloween by having my daughter stay home and give out crayons instead of going out herself. She saw all her friends in their fun costumes as they came by.

#5 of 9 Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBearclan View Post

Why must there be a sweet or sweet alternative for a birthday? Instead, plan a trip or give a gift of a lawn game or something interactive.

I also dealt with Halloween by having my daughter stay home and give out crayons instead of going out herself. She saw all her friends in their fun costumes as they came by.

We didn't serve cake at our kids' birthdays until they started getting older and were aware of what happened at other people's parties. It's a fact that celebrations in this country (and many others) have a sweet food as a centerpiece. If you are hosting a party you do not need to serve this, though as your kids get older and experienced with their friends' parties they will likely be embarrassed or disappointed that they cannot be like everyone else. If you are going to a party where something sweet is being served as a centerpiece, your child will be hugely disappointed, even if they learn it's the reality of their life.

Our daughter cannot eat gluten, dairy, or cane sugar. I have learned how to make many yummy things without those ingredients. Actually, almond flour is a huge part of our dessert repertoire. I always take a trayful of whatever I've made her for any party we are attending and put it out to share. We went to a big, blow out party one time with a ghastly awful cake as the centerpiece. I had taken almond flour and honey cupcakes. Turns out a lot of kids at that party could not eat the birthday cake. Their moms had all stopped at Whole Foods and gotten them a clamshell with a slice of cake or banana bread or something. Every one of those kids ignored what their mom brought and ate my cupcakes (since the ingredients worked for them.) They wanted to be part of the group. Eating something other people were eating was really important to them. We are a social species and food is part of our sociality. We don't do sugary foods at Halloween or Easter or any other holiday, but at birthdays we do because our kids have learned that's what their friends do and they want to be like their friends. So I put out the effort to help them achieve that social norm.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 AM

I've found great recipe for refined-sugar free and grain-free cupcakes, cakes, frostings on blogs like:

http://mommypotamus.com/

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/

www.thespunkycoconut.com

I started a pinterest folder just for those types of sweets that we've tried or want to try so I won't forget about them!

http://pinterest.com/rootchildren/celebrate/

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#7 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBearclan View Post

My gift to my son is baking him something for his birthday.

As for Halloween... that's a huge deal for me, personally, because it's a day of connectedness with neighbors. I'm undecided as far as that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

We didn't serve cake at our kids' birthdays until they started getting older and were aware of what happened at other people's parties. It's a fact that celebrations in this country (and many others) have a sweet food as a centerpiece. If you are hosting a party you do not need to serve this, though as your kids get older and experienced with their friends' parties they will likely be embarrassed or disappointed that they cannot be like everyone else. If you are going to a party where something sweet is being served as a centerpiece, your child will be hugely disappointed, even if they learn it's the reality of their life.

Our daughter cannot eat gluten, dairy, or cane sugar. I have learned how to make many yummy things without those ingredients. Actually, almond flour is a huge part of our dessert repertoire. I always take a trayful of whatever I've made her for any party we are attending and put it out to share. We went to a big, blow out party one time with a ghastly awful cake as the centerpiece. I had taken almond flour and honey cupcakes. Turns out a lot of kids at that party could not eat the birthday cake. Their moms had all stopped at Whole Foods and gotten them a clamshell with a slice of cake or banana bread or something. Every one of those kids ignored what their mom brought and ate my cupcakes (since the ingredients worked for them.) They wanted to be part of the group. Eating something other people were eating was really important to them. We are a social species and food is part of our sociality. We don't do sugary foods at Halloween or Easter or any other holiday, but at birthdays we do because our kids have learned that's what their friends do and they want to be like their friends. So I put out the effort to help them achieve that social norm.

That's a great stoy! I made him an orange almond cake last year for his birthday. It was pretty good. This year I wasn't in a good mindset to do it... so I just caved to what was easy =\ Unfortunately, it is looking an awful lot like gluten is the culprit... he appears to handle oatmeal just fine, but wheat? Nuh uh. I'd also like to stay away from sugar just because I never really wanted him to have it to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

I've found great recipe for refined-sugar free and grain-free cupcakes, cakes, frostings on blogs like:

http://mommypotamus.com/

http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/

www.thespunkycoconut.com

I started a pinterest folder just for those types of sweets that we've tried or want to try so I won't forget about them!

http://pinterest.com/rootchildren/celebrate/

Did you find working with coconut flour difficult? I read it's moisture-hungry and you have to slowly add in coconut flour to a recipe. I fiddled with using coconut flour for my son's birthday..but as  I said, wasn't in a good mind set and got turned off to it when I read it was difficult to work with.

#8 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Nope, I haven't found it difficult at all!  I am only using recipes specifically tailored for coconut flour though - so those folks have already tinkered with it enough to make it easy for me ;)

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-19-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post

Nope, I haven't found it difficult at all!  I am only using recipes specifically tailored for coconut flour though - so those folks have already tinkered with it enough to make it easy for me ;)

Agree. Just use an established recipe. You need eggs. Lots of eggs.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page