Looking to cut out cow's milk. As far as what's best for the kids and the adults, almond or soy milk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't deal with the thought of drinking cow's milk anymore. The hormones and pus and antibiotics and all the nasties that are in it are just too much to deal with. Plus, cow's milk makes me feel funny lately, and thinking back, it has in all my pregnancies. Soy milk doesnt' make me feel all yucky like cow's milk does. Wondering what's best, almond or soy milk. What I've read so far doesn't bode well for soy in my household. Any input would be appreciated!

femalesling.GIF  saynovax.gif cd.gif chicken3.gif bfinfant.gif This will be me in August. Wife and Mother to a boy 7, another boy 5 and a little girl, 1 and last but not least, baby number 4 due in August.  

#2 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM

I vote for almond or coconut milk.  Don't buy the coconut milk in the cartons, IMO it's a waste of money.  I buy a good quality canned coconut milk and then I thin it down for my family for drinking.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 20 Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM

I usually choose different milks for different things. Soy has protein and can be swapped for cow easily, but I relied on it too much and became allergic. So be careful with soy.

I like oat for baking. Rice is also good, especially for making an ice cream substitute, but some folks are concerned about arsenic. Both are grain milks, so not great for protein.

I've thought about making milk from other things, like millet or red lentils. I haven't tried, yet, though.

Nut milks are not my favorites. They work well in baking, IF that nutty flavor works well. Walnut milk for banana nut muffins, for example. Otherwise, I'm distracted by the unexpected nuttiness.

I gave up milk on cereal years ago, so I don't even think about that anymore.

In general, each person and family is unique. Experiment and find what works for you. Good luck!

Edited to add -- I generally make my own milks, as I prefer to know all the ingredients. With my food allergies, a change in processing can make something harmful to me, hence my desire for more control. Once I got used to it, I found it easier than buying a packaged product.
#4 of 20 Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 AM

It depends on what you need a substitute for. There's no need for adults to drink milk products at all, and a lot of people think it's a bad idea to drink animal milk or plant milks. Personally I think soy is best from a culinary perspective--it works great for baking, and it works very nicely in creamy curries and pasta sauces as well. However I would be wary of it from a nutritional perspective as it is a high fat food--about 30% of the calories come from fat! As I have an intolerance to soy my substitute of choice is homemade rice milk. I avoid nut milks because of the strong taste and because they are very high in fat. Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned about the amount of protein in a milk substitute. Plant milks should be a small part of a healthy diet and you should be getting all the protein you need from whole foods. There are a lot of ridiculous claims out there about soy. A lot of it is not based in sound science. I encourage you to do a lot of research using varied sources before deciding that soy (especially organic, non-GMO) is evil. 

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#5 of 20 Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM

We don't use a lot of milks for drinking or cooking, but to the extent we do (mostly for cereal and when the kids want something other than water to drink) we tend to switch around between different kinds of plant-based milks. We more-or-less rotate between unsweetened soy, almond, coconut, etc.

If your primary concerns are hormones/antibiotics/etc that come along with modern style dairy farming, you could also try to find a local farmer that will sell and/or trade milk from cows which aren't treated with those kinds of thing, aren't subjected to agro-business style stresses, and aren't milked when they're ill.

#6 of 20 Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesiesGirl View Post

It depends on what you need a substitute for. There's no need for adults to drink milk products at all, and a lot of people think it's a bad idea to drink animal milk or plant milks. Personally I think soy is best from a culinary perspective--it works great for baking, and it works very nicely in creamy curries and pasta sauces as well. However I would be wary of it from a nutritional perspective as it is a high fat food--about 30% of the calories come from fat! As I have an intolerance to soy my substitute of choice is homemade rice milk. I avoid nut milks because of the strong taste and because they are very high in fat. Honestly I wouldn't be too concerned about the amount of protein in a milk substitute. Plant milks should be a small part of a healthy diet and you should be getting all the protein you need from whole foods. There are a lot of ridiculous claims out there about soy. A lot of it is not based in sound science. I encourage you to do a lot of research using varied sources before deciding that soy (especially organic, non-GMO) is evil. 

Did I miss something? I don't recall anyone saying soy is evil. If you are referring to what I wrote, I simply stated that too much may trigger soy sensitivity or allergy. Otherwise, soy is a fine substitute.
#7 of 20 Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Did I miss something? I don't recall anyone saying soy is evil. If you are referring to what I wrote, I simply stated that too much may trigger soy sensitivity or allergy. Otherwise, soy is a fine substitute.

No one said that soy was evil. I was referring to the OP's comment that she had read some concerning things about soy. Sorry if what I said was misinterpreted. I tend to get defensive about this issue because I've heard a lot of ludicrous claims about soy, but I didn't need to use such strong language here.

cat.gifJonesie's best girlread.gif 

pos.gif with our first, due in November. We can't wait to:femalesling.GIFsigncirc1.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gifhomeschool.giffamilybed1.gif

***4***8***12***16***2ndtri.gif***24***28***32***36***40**

#8 of 20 Old 04-17-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesiesGirl View Post

No one said that soy was evil. I was referring to the OP's comment that she had read some concerning things about soy. Sorry if what I said was misinterpreted. I tend to get defensive about this issue because I've heard a lot of ludicrous claims about soy, but I didn't need to use such strong language here.

No problem. I just wanted to be sure my remarks hadn't been misinterpreted. Thanks for the clarification.
#9 of 20 Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM

We're an almond milk family.

Back when ds's allergy first started soy was the only one REALLY readily available. I didn't like him drinking so much soy on top of him going thru his "I only want tofu and soy sauce" stage eyesroll.gif so once almond milk came on the market we were quite happy

Now we do almond milk. Honestly it's been so long that I don't even notice a "nutty" taste when I use it in things like mashed potatoes or vegan mac and cheese and we LOVE it in curry. Tho my mil who uses almond milk always has a teeny container of cows milk for her mashed potatoes/kd fix. She hates the almond milk in cooking.

I have used the coconut milk in the cartons but the fam all didn't like it. Seemed it was too strong of a coconut taste and they find the almond milder. I ended up using the coconut milk in baking.  The kids won't touch soy anymore. Tho when it's on sale I do buy it to use in school baking since ds's school is nut-free. But mostly I just use the canned coconut milk watered down for baking(leftover canned coconut milk from recipes frozen for when the time comes I need it)

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#10 of 20 Old 04-17-2013, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have unsweetened almond milk in the house for anyone who wishes. I'd like to try making my own cashew milk one day.

I don't use much soy because of the gmo status of much soy but also because of the estrogen issues. I've tried to do a lot of research about soy in the mainstream medical literature. It's pretty much all positive about soy. But given lots of non-mainstream people have concerns about soy I just stay away from it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#11 of 20 Old 04-19-2013, 05:47 AM

You may want to try raw cow or goat milk before swearing off animal milks altogether. None of the "nasties" you are referring to and can definiely have different effects on your body than pasturized, homogonized stuff.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#12 of 20 Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post

We have unsweetened almond milk in the house for anyone who wishes. I'd like to try making my own cashew milk one day.

I don't use much soy because of the gmo status of much soy but also because of the estrogen issues. I've tried to do a lot of research about soy in the mainstream medical literature. It's pretty much all positive about soy. But given lots of non-mainstream people have concerns about soy I just stay away from it.

I'm not a fan of soy. I like unflavored almond milk. 

Things against soy:

http://www.naturalnews.com/025513_soy_food_soybeans.html

http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/whole-soy-story

#13 of 20 Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Milk isn't a necessary (or natural) part of the diet after about age two or so, so there is no need to find a substitute. 

Bring back the old MDC
#14 of 20 Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post

Milk isn't a necessary (or natural) part of the diet after about age two or so, so there is no need to find a substitute. 

While I agree that milk contains nothing nutrient-wise that cannot be gotten elsewhere, if you are used to having cereal with milk, or pancakes made with milk, etc., then substitutes are desired. It makes the switch a bit easier. After a time, the OP may choose to give up those things, or may not. In the meantime, substitutes can help ease the change.
#15 of 20 Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 PM

We keep coconut milk on hand for the rare need, but honestly, after some years of being dairy-free, it kind of dawned on me that I had shed a bit of brainwashing from my upbringing...."must drink white stuff from glass. It is good. It is a must. It is the only wayyyyyyyyy" and now I notice more often when it is just a part of life for so many folks we visit..."oh, you don't do dairy. What kind of milk do you drink?"  "We don't"....As a beverage, I find the milk-substitutes kind of gross.....and we're trying to avoid anything processed/packaged these days, which pretty well eliminates any of the subs unless we're looking at nutmilks.

#16 of 20 Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM

It depends how you're using the milk.

If you are looking for a nondairy milk that is most nutritionally similar to cow's milk and/or this milk will be a source of protein then soy milk is best.

If you also need calcium and vitamin D from it, get soy milk that's fortified. Or you can take a supplement if you make your own soy milk (homemade soy milk is very inexpensive).

If its just vitamin D and calcium you need then choose any fortified nondairy milk - choose by taste mostly.

Generally, almond milk is going to be the lowest calorie nondairy milk. It's a good choice for most adults but may not be high enough cal or have enough protein for some children.

Coconut milk is going to have saturated fat. Most people don't need any extra sat. fat in their diets and should work on cutting down rather than finding sources of it (although plant sources are better than animal sources). But some people and small children need sat. fat... Although soymilk is still usually a better choice for small children than coconut milk because kids need the protein in soymilk. But if the milk is only going to be used in small amounts then again choose by taste. Some people really like the taste of coconut milk.

Other options: rice milk, hemp milk, grain milk. Also, they all generally come in sweetened and unsweetened versions, flavored (vanilla and chocolate are most common), nonfat or lowfat or regular. The unsweetened, unflavored have less sugar, obviously.

You may find it makes sense to have soy milk for the kids and rice milk for the adults. Try a wide variety!
#17 of 20 Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

Coconut milk is going to have saturated fat. Most people don't need any extra sat. fat in their diets and should work on cutting down rather than finding sources of it (although plant sources are better than animal sources). But some people and small children need sat. fat... Although soymilk is still usually a better choice for small children than coconut milk because kids need the protein in soymilk. But if the milk is only going to be used in small amounts then again choose by taste. Some people really like the taste of coconut milk.

Although I don't agree with conventional wisdom and fats, it is coming to light that cocnut fats are healthy for you.  It is rich in medium chain triglyerides, which are quickly metabolized by the body and increase metabolism.  It also had a lot of lauric acid, which is converted in the body into a anti-microbial substance.  Lauric acid is one of the fats in breastmilk that is vital for infants.

Anywho, IMO coconut fat isn't anything to be afraid of.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#18 of 20 Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm in loving with FLAXMILK. I have never been a cows milk drinker. I made my mother crazy as a child.hopmad.gif

#19 of 20 Old 04-26-2013, 11:34 AM

Soy is not a "fine substitute" for anything, let alone milk.   Soy contains a substance called isoflavones which is a mimic estrogen.   It functions exactly like estrogen in your body.   Soy is a cheap digestable filler that most manufacturers use just to bulk out their products.   It is contained in about 65% of all processed food you can buy in your local grocery stores.   It is the reason that the USA is #1 in obesity.   It is the reason that men have been getting "breast cancer"; That flab they thought they were accumulating above their stomaches is actualy female breast tissue.   It is the reason that girls reach puberty way too early and some first grade girls are actually growing pubic hair and developing breasts.   This shouldn't happen!   It is also the reason that many boys reach puberty much later than what used to be the norm.   Of course their liberal school teachers are telling them that it's OK, late puberty just means that you were born a homosexual.   The only soy product that does not endanger us is "soy sauce" because the fermantation process used to make it neutralizs the isoflavones.   Don't believe me; Google this subject, but din't be surprised if you find lots of Pro-soy articles supported by the criminals in the food industry defending their poison.

#20 of 20 Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 PM

Personally, I would blame cow's milk for the puberty issues, due to the cows being given hormones to keep milk production levels high. Those hormones would get into the milk, and then the consumers. I would also be surprised that teachers are telling students they are homosexual based on when puberty starts. If they are, they are spreading false information.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page