What to do with coconut oil/flour ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been reading lots of good stuff about coconut oil and flour , but am kind of at a loss , what to use it for 

I have tried the flour in pancake batter and it was quite a hit with my kids , but have not been brave enough to try the oil

Anybody out there , who can enlighten me on the different uses and also a bit more variety ?eyesroll.gif

We are not 100% vegetarian , but working on it and I am generally quite open to trying new and unusual stuff , so throw everything at me , you´ve got lol

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#2 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Coconut oil is yummy on toast!  I would imagine you could use it in place of butter in many cases, but it's more sweet than salty.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 11 Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM

I use coconut oil for everything! Scramble eggs in it, use it for baking in place of oil or butter, add it to soups for a shot of good fat. I also use it as diaper cream, on my face, and on the baby's skin smile.gif

stillheart.gif Momma-ing the Muffin since October 2011!

#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

So , do you basically use it in a 1/1 ratio ? 

And what about the flour ? I love baking bread , but so far have only been brave enough to use it along with other flour in pancakes

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#5 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Coconut flour is gluten-free so it wouldn't make good bread unless you were using a recipe for gluten-free bread. 

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#6 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well , I was thinking about mixing it ! It worked really well with the pancakes , I made , but I am not sure about the regular flour/coconut flour with stuff like cake or bread !

Financially , I am not really in the position to experiment a lot and then maybe having to toss stuff , that has turned out like a brick , so I thought , maybe someone has a tried and true recipe for me 

#7 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 03:38 PM

I've just recently bought my first jar of coconut oil & have been using to pop popcorn in over the stove. I use a little extra in the pan with the kernels, once its popped I season with sea salt - no butter necessary.
#8 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 04:10 PM

I use coconut oil in place of butter when I bake. I also pop popcorn in it and use it when I'm cooking things like Pad Thai or curry, where the coconut flavor blends well. I also mix a teaspoon into my coffee in the morning-- it takes some getting used to, but I absolutely love it!

~may all beings be free from suffering~
#9 of 11 Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Coconut flour has no protein so needs to be mixed with eggs. I think my pancake recipe calls for 2 Tablespoons of coconut flour for 2 eggs. That's a typical recipe ratio.

I have this cookbook http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0941599884/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I'm not a big fan of coconut oil, I don't like the taste it gives food. Unless it's mixed with chocolate. YUM. Also, it has a fairly low smoking point. I mainly use avocado and macadamia oils. Here's my favorite info on oils: http://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-6-9-ratio-cooking-oils.htm

I do like this recipe:

Chocolate Macaroons

2 1/2 c. dried, shredded coconut

1/8 t. sea salt

½ cup cocoa

3/4 c. coconut oil, melted

¼ cup raw honey

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until well combined.

Form into small mounds and place in freezer for 30 minutes before serving.

Store in fridge.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#10 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 06:01 AM

Coconut flour will usually not do well when just substituted for white flour.  You could google "grain-free" recipes (grain free pancakes, grain free muffins, etc) and get some good ideas of how to use it. 

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#11 of 11 Old 04-19-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Or just google coconut flour recipes.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page