Going gluten-free...how long to eliminate before seeing a difference? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been considering putting ds (who is 6) on a gluten free diet.  He has several of the usual markers/symptoms for why one might eliminate gluten.  So, I'm trying to move forward with it, researching and in general trying to wrap my head around it.  It will require a major overhaul of his diet, but if we have good results it is totally worth it.

I know that when milk is a diet-suspect, it usually encouraged to eliminate for at least two weeks, so that all the proteins are out of the blood stream, try to eat some again, and see what happens.  *Is there a similar recommendation for gluten?*  Should I try it for two weeks, and see how it goes, or does one need to entirely avoid for more time...months?...before you can really see any difference?  I guess I'd like to know a preliminary timeline before going in.  Ds's main complaint is tummy aches.  Will two weeks be enough time?  Would it make a difference sooner.  I can't seem to find any information about this specifically in my casual research. 

Thanks!  Any info would be helpful!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have any research-based advice for you, but I can tell you my DH noticed a difference very quickly. He was very gassy when he ate gluten, and has been much more comfortable since eliminating it. I think it took less than a week for him to notice a difference. I know that's not very helpful!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

When we took our (then) 2 year old off gluten to see if it would help her speech, she made a major leap 3 weeks later. Then she accidentally got  gluten every day for a week. Then she went 4 weeks without gluten and had another huge leap in her speech. She continued with GI issues so we did allergy testing. We eliminated all those foods for 6 weeks with no improvement. Then we took her off dairy even though the tests didn't show any problems. That was right around her third birthday. She had her first solid poops in her life. We just had to eliminate ALL the problem foods.

Our son was having trouble with his emotions. Since we already had a gluten free household, I just stopped buying his favorite extra foods and we stopped going out to eat. Almost immediately we saw a change in his emotions. Then he had some gluten and it was awful. Within a couple days of his last gluten exposure his emotions were much better.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List