Homebrewing 2013 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I didn't see a recent thread on homebrewing, so let's chat about it. 

We've done one batch of generic red wine (with a friend's equipment) and one small batch of beer (a standard brown ale) with our own supplies. We do micro-batches of beer - one gallon at a time - it's easy to do right on the stovetop in the apartment and doesn't take up a ton of room to have a gallon jug in the pantry. We get a nice six pack out of the gallon, so that also makes it great for trying a lot of different recipes without a big outlay on ingredients, and if it turns out awful we only have to suck down six bottles. 

Next week we're going to do our next batch of beer - probably an American red. 

What's everyone else up to?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#2 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

How's your brewing going? I'm bumping this up so that other homebrewers see it. Anyone else brewing? If so, what are you making? Does anyone give their brews as homemade gifts for anniversaries, birthdays, etc.? I've not brewed, but it seems like it would make a fun gift.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'd like to.  A friend's husband does it, and his stuff is really good.

#4 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyMommy View Post

How's your brewing going? I'm bumping this up so that other homebrewers see it. Anyone else brewing? If so, what are you making? Does anyone give their brews as homemade gifts for anniversaries, birthdays, etc.? I've not brewed, but it seems like it would make a fun gift.

Thanks for bumping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I'd like to.  A friend's husband does it, and his stuff is really good.

You should give it a try! We've started out with small batch brewing because it's a small financial investment and it's easy to do because you're dealing with smaller quantities. We do single gallons, which will give you about a six pack of beer. The other great thing is you can try a lot of different styles, and if the beer doesn't turn out quite right while you're learning, you only have to drink a few bad ones instead of a couple of cases! Check out the Beer Making Book - it's all one gallon recipes. 

We haven't gotten our next batch going yet - it's tricky because my husband works Friday-Sunday nights, so we don't have a lot of time together after the kiddo is in bed for brewing. I'm hoping Monday or Tuesday night we can get the red ale going though. We need to pick up a mesh brew bag - we do all grain small batches, so putting the grain in the bag will make the sparging easier - straining it into a smallish strainer in a second stockpot is kind of a pain. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page