Which is healthier: organic white pasta or whole wheat pasta? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I try to feed my family as much whole, organic, unprocessed foods as possible, but I haven't gotten around to making pasta yet. The local grocery store has 2 options: organic white pasta and whole wheat pasta (100%). I'm trying to decide which is healthier. The fact that a lot of wheat in the US is GMO is not good for the whole wheat pasta because it could be GMO and we *really* try and avoid any GMO products. However, I understand the benefits of whole wheat vs. white products, so that is the downside of the organic white pasta which because it is organic would not be GMO. So.. which is healthier for my family to eat?

#2 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 PM

I would definitely say the organic white pasta. I agree that whole grains are always preferable but the fact the non-organic has pesticides AND is potentially GMO is enough for me to never eat non-organic foods again. It's decidedly toxic and likely carcinogenic. I would consider the white pasta to be an occasional treat. As long as you're not eating many pasta meals a week, I don't think eating white pasta should be a concern. Have you looked at other grocery stores? Maybe find another place further away and stock up on organic whole wheat pasta?

#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 12:19 PM

As far as I know, there is no GMO wheat anywhere at this time.

#4 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post

As far as I know, there is no GMO wheat anywhere at this time.

Wow, really?  I had no idea.   If that's true it's awesome!

To OP:

I actually avoid GMO produce and eat local and organic for largely political and ethical reasons, and while I know there are many possible dangers to most GMO foods, it's not the priority for myself.

I think, nutritionally speaking, the nutrients stripped from white breads and pastas are negligible if kept in balance with a diet that is high in other healthy grains, low glycemic fruits and vegetables, and lean proteins.    A meal that is just pasta is certainly healthier if 100% whole grain, but a meal that is white pasta with an equal amount of veggies is even healthier.

So, it's all going to balance out.

I personally like the texture of mixing 50% whole grain in to 50% white.

#5 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's true that GmO wheat is not commercially available to humans at this time.

I buy the Barilla yellow box pasta for my family. It has the extra protein that my carb lovers need!
#6 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post

It's true that GmO wheat is not commercially available to humans at this time.

I buy the Barilla yellow box pasta for my family. It has the extra protein that my carb lovers need!

Awesome and gives me s many more choices. Although I prefer organic there is not much choice in pasta where I am so it's great to know the non-organic is at least GMO free, not to mention bread.  

#7 of 7 Old 05-15-2013, 12:12 PM

A friend who has a degree in ag science told me that wheat is such a low-value crop, it is not cost effective to use much in the way of pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides on it, either. I don't know how true that statement is, but that's what she said. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page