In need of ideas! My toddler only likes bread and fruit. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 05-04-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What are some ideas to get him to eat more? He's 14 months, almpst completely solid fed. He's completely dairy free, and has learned to say "phewie" and spit out food he doesn't want to eat. Then he doesn't eat another bite no matter who gives it or how it's given. I know he's not eating enough, and we try to supplement with Nutramagen, but he doesn't like taking bottles all the time either. I just need help or ideas on how to get him to eat more than bread, crackers, bananas, and peaches.

- - - -
#2 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

This is just my opinion and experience...

Milk has a lot of carbohydrates and sugars, which is great for growing a brain and nervous system and putting on some fat stores. Weaning, for me, was getting away not just from milk, but also from a sugar and carb based diet toward a fat and protein based diet.

The best weaning food I found was soft boiled egg with butter & a bit of sea salt and shredded toast.

This was considered a very "grown up" thing to eat, something that we were thrilled to offer now that the child was old enough to enjoy it. I made a big production out of making and serving it.

Do you eat with your child or sit with him while he is eating? Part of his dissatisfaction could be boredom or lack of comraderie while eating.

Wholesome food and persuasion should get the job done.

#3 of 17 Old 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a similar problem with my 25 month old son. He drinks about 4 zippy cups of milk a day and to be honest I don't know if that's unfortunate since he eats close to nothing during most of the day.

He only likes:

• Scrambled eggs with peas
  • Cheerios
  • Quesadillas

It is very frustrating and worrisome.  I also tried every trick to get him to taste food, but most of the time he is reluctant.

#4 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaBearclan View Post

This is just my opinion and experience...

Milk has a lot of carbohydrates and sugars, which is great for growing a brain and nervous system and putting on some fat stores. Weaning, for me, was getting away not just from milk, but also from a sugar and carb based diet toward a fat and protein based diet.

The best weaning food I found was soft boiled egg with butter & a bit of sea salt and shredded toast.

This was considered a very "grown up" thing to eat, something that we were thrilled to offer now that the child was old enough to enjoy it. I made a big production out of making and serving it.

Do you eat with your child or sit with him while he is eating? Part of his dissatisfaction could be boredom or lack of comraderie while eating.

Wholesome food and persuasion should get the job done.

I do sit with him while he eats, but I can't eat with him because he gets very upset if I don't share. I will share some of what ever I'm eating but he usually doesn't like it. He's completely dairy free so I don't usually give him any kind of cows milk or butter because it upsets his tummy. There honestly isn't anyway to persuade a 15 month old that doesn't understand more than a handful of words, and speaks even less. But he does like eggs, so I think he'll be eating more of those.

- - - -
#5 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroblesd View Post

I have a similar problem with my 25 month old son. He drinks about 4 zippy cups of milk a day and to be honest I don't know if that's unfortunate since he eats close to nothing during most of the day.

He only likes:
  • Cheerios
  • Quesadillas

It is very frustrating and worrisome.  I also tried every trick to get him to taste food, but most of the time he is reluctant.

Cheerios are the one thing he will eat till they come out of his ears ,haha.

- - - -
#6 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroblesd View Post

He only likes:
  • Cheerios
  • Quesadillas

Cheerios are the one thing he will eat till they come out of his ears ,haha. I've also started giving him enriched rice milk to make up for the lack of cows milk. He drinks his whole cup which is pretty amazing to me.

- - - -
#7 of 17 Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the double reply, my phone is acting up.

- - - -
#8 of 17 Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM

Does he like rice?  My kids really like fried rice and you can grate up veggies (carrots, squash, etc) and put it in.  Plus scrambled eggs or little bits of meat if you want.  They also like rice and refried beans.

Around that age my kids also liked things that were mixed in and all flavored together--like soup, stew, chili, stirfry.

#9 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyxxmcfly View Post

What are some ideas to get him to eat more? He's 14 months, almpst completely solid fed. He's completely dairy free, and has learned to say "phewie" and spit out food he doesn't want to eat. Then he doesn't eat another bite no matter who gives it or how it's given. I know he's not eating enough, and we try to supplement with Nutramagen, but he doesn't like taking bottles all the time either. I just need help or ideas on how to get him to eat more than bread, crackers, bananas, and peaches.

My son had certain foods that he had to try at least 7 or 8 times before he accepted them, and I had to space them widely enough apart in feedings, like by several days, before he'd be willing to try them again.

Nutritionally, it seems like the main concern here is his proteins since your carbs and fiber are covered.  Start with a variety of proteins and space them apart and offer a few options from each meals.  

Proteins: Yoghurt (greek is higher in protein but my son looooooves plain stonyfield), any cheese, nitrite free lunchmeat,, tuna salad, shrimp, quinoa, spirulina, whole or mashed lentils and beans, are all foods that he has started eating after much trial and most can be stored and re-served if not eaten.

#10 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 01:52 PM

My son went through a pancake phase.  So I decided to sneak foods into his pancakes.  These are foods I snuck (sneaked?) and he ate:

Quinoa

Amaranth

Chicken (puree all pancake ingredients together)

Carrots

Sweet potatoes

Squash

Extra eggs (German pancakes are really good for this)

Oats

Coconut yogurt

Coconut butter (ground coconut meat, like peanut butter)

Almonds

Sunflower seeds

Cashews

Sesame seeds

Bone powder

The grains, seeds, and nuts I ground into a flour or meal first and then used them in the dry ingredients.  The wet foods like cooked veggies went with the wet ingredients. 

As long as it was in pancake mode he would eat it.  I would use fruit-only jam, syrup, honey, or molasses as the sweetener on top.

Maybe you could try baking your own bread and seeing if you could sneak in foods.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#11 of 17 Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM

I also wanted to add that my DH is much better at feeding our son than I am, because he just sits him on his lap and eats in front of him nd if he doesn't eat he doesn't get upset like I do.  Spicy or whatever, curiousity usually wins and he takes at least one bite.  And that's all it takes over several days he is usually on to eating whatever dad is eating.

pumabearclan likes this.
#12 of 17 Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM

Some toddler favorites of my kids were:

oatmeal (would be easy to top with banana or peaches and some non-dairy milk)

edamame (fun to take the beans out of their pods - dd1 did the same with green beans too)

black beans (small amounts eaten with their fingers)

hard boiled eggs - though, you could also try doing egg in a basket where you cook an egg in a hole of a piece of bread.  Dd1 also liked soft boiled eggs she could dip sticks of toast into.

#13 of 17 Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

We're kind of going through the same thing. Our son really loves any bread type thing, but he eats dairy so he's also big on cheese and yogurt. Mini muffins are a big hit - we've done pumpkin, carrot cake, banana bread, and are going to try zucchini bread muffins soon. Pasts with marinara sauce is also a huge hit - you can grate/puree extra veggies to add into the sauce, and you can get veggie pasta to go with it. Our son doesn't like the texture of most fresh fruits, but he will eat dehydrated fruit, so he gets a lot of that. One thing he likes a lot is green beans right now - but he won't eat the frozen/fresh kind, only from a can. So if you get the canned ones, make sure you pick up the ones with no added salt. And applesauce - you can get it in a ton of flavors, or you can other stuff into it. 

I agree with what some previous posters said - keep giving him the same things until he tastes it. Our son is the same way - he says he doesn't want it, but then he eventually tries it. Giving him his own plate and kiddie fork and spoon had helped too - he likes eating like we do. And he almost demands we sit with him to eat meals - he'll point to the chair and say "mama" or "dada" until we sit with him while he eats. So I think that's an important part of it also. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#14 of 17 Old 05-27-2013, 09:04 AM

I agree with PP.  Toddlers are often eaters of habit:  they only like things they have had in the past.  In my experience, you really have to just keep putting it in front of them enough times for them to become comfortable with the idea of eating it.  Also, as a general rule, I don't usually make anything special, but feed them off my own plate.  They want what they see me eating, which makes it easier to convince them to try new foods.  However, there are always times that I need something just for them, so I hear your frustration.  My children have liked soft-boiled eggs with toast for dipping, very thinly sliced apples, applesauce, bits of bananas, very soft, well-cooked meats (chicken, roast beef, etc.), avocado, ripe peaches, crackers, etc.  With my last toddler, I kept the squeezable pouches of baby food on hand, because if all else failed, I could almost always get my picky eater to eat one of those.  

Short of a true feeding disorder, most toddlers will eventually try most anything, given enough chances to try it.  Just keep offering, and don't make a big deal about it when he refuses.  

#15 of 17 Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I really need to sit down and make a full list of things he'll eat, and stuff he should try. The only problem I have with feeding him off my plate is, even though I have a low tolerance for dairy, he can't eat any. It all upsets his tummy too much for it to be worth the nutritional value of it. I don't care about a little bit of upset if I can have the foods I like. So I don't go out of my way to make him something separate, but he doesn't always get to share what I have.

Tonight we had pulled pork and he didn't want anything to do with it. I did have some success with chicken though.

- - - -
#16 of 17 Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 AM

I've also found it helpful when I point out and get foods that are extremely similar to others they enjoy (hey - this kiwi tastes a lot like your favorite strawberries, but it's green.  Let's eat them together), or just really work at trying different ways of cooking favorites.  It's good practice for experimenting on trying new things without it being totally unknown for young and less adventerous-eating kids - like trying eggs as an omlette, soft boiled, hard boiled, deviled, sunny side up, etc.  Or baked vs. stovetop vs. slow cooker oatmeal - or making the point to get/make oatmeal bread, rolls, and muffins.  

#17 of 17 Old 06-23-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I think starting to meal plan will help with keeping all the things he likes and doesn't like organized. My sister is super picky too so hopefully finding new things that she'll eat will help with finding things he might like.

- - - -

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page