When you overeat, how is your appetite later? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: When you overeat, how is your appetite later?
I feel full (low appetite) for a longer amount of time than if I eat normally 1 25.00%
I feel hungry sooner AND/OR I feel hungrier than normal at the usual time 1 25.00%
No change 0 0%
It varies 1 25.00%
Other 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-28-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Unfortunately I've been overeating a lot lately greensad.gif but it reminded me of how a lot of people seem to take it as a given that overeating reduces your appetite until at least the next major meal is scheduled. That's never been my experience, so I wanted to see how common it actually was. Whether or not I'm hungry at a certain mealtime seems totally unrelated to how much I ate last time. Actually, if I overeat a lot, it seems like I get hungry earlier and more intensely.

#2 of 4 Old 05-29-2013, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Hi Cyllya,

What are you overeating - what is your diet?

If you are overeating carbohydrates, you can spiral up your tolerance so that you are constantly craving more. This is an indication of the addictive nature of a carbohydrate-based metabolism. The body is unable to tolerate large drops in blood sugar, so after a serving of, say, pancakes and syrup, a person may "feel hungry" again soon when the blood sugar falls off, even though the amount of calories consumed is more than adequate to sustain them for many hours.

What I'm describing is not hunger. Jitters, irritability, fuzzy-headedness, dry mouth, cravings, etc is not actually hunger. Hunger is a gentle "awareness" of the stomach that doesn't affect mood. A truly hungry person can wait 3 hours without needing a snack, being entirely focused on eating again, or having any side effects.

I eat a very low-carb fat-based diet and if my husband and I eat twice a day. Each meal is the size of a typical restaurant appetizer. If we eat a large meal (brunch with friends, for example) we will eat only once that day. I can't imagine overeating on a high-fat diet. I would become nauseated, I think.

Is it possible that your overeating is carb binging for emotional reasons or a nutritional deficiency? Many of my mood and emotional challenges were actually resolved once I quit the carb-addiction. I didn't realize how much my diet was affecting my life in a negative way.

I've found that low-carb has been 110% right for me and I highly recommend it to others for health and happiness.

I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Puma

#3 of 4 Old 05-30-2013, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i spent 3 nights last week over-eating, totally stress related, i wasn't even hungry during the night eating in excess period .... yet i was totally eating "normally" each day during the day-time ....i put on 2 kg in 3 days ... i don't know what happened and why but i 've been eating "more like normal" since Monday ....and then for 24 hours my guts seemed to want to get rid of so much ... that i lost 1.5 kg, not understanding why/how .....

am quite baffled ... (though i know what were my stressors

- 24 hours in hospital with DD2, -yet i came home before 6:00 am and prepared healthy food to take with me when going back to hospital, - my bingeing episode happened 24 h after we were discharged .... although i was home with any healthy eating option i could have wanted

- some other emotional issues

- disrupted sleep, VERY disrupted

over the last 2 months, i drastically uped my levels of B vitamins ... i don't know if it's because of that or a combination of other factors ... but there have been many times when i felt that i was SO capable of being very reasonnable with food (and i lost about 3 kg over that period of time) ... as if i was in a totally different mind-set ....sort of a different person even (= not interested in using food as emotional props, not "needing" too ...) ... i think, but have no proof of that, that beforehand my over-eating was a mix of

- coping mechanism to emotional issues

- my body lacking some nutriments (but am not sure which ...)

i do well with very little carb (i mean i eat fruits and veggies but i drastically limit bread, rice, potatoes etc ...) and coconut oil liberaly over proteîn and vegetables ... being the only one to eat that way, and having to cook for my family, i slip though, and it can spiral badly sort of "out of control"

so no advice, just commiseration, i know the feeling, eating loads, not the best choices .... and still eating a regular dinner on top of it !!!!!

pumabearclan likes this.
#4 of 4 Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Sorry, IsaFrench about your hospital visit -- I hope your DD is ok.

But I also totally understand the emotional/stress-related overeating.

On the survey, I answered other because while I feel full when I overeat, I will continue to eat anyway. For example, I snack a lot at work -- too much for what I'm doing (sitting at a desk) -- and then I eat a lunch & then a full dinner with my family in the evening. In fact, I'm hardly ever hungry, which is not a healthy way to be.

I actually feel like my body is rebelling (I have felt terrible lately & my digestive system is off) & in the last week I have really tried to follow my appetite & eat mindfully. It's actually been quite wonderful feeling hungry for lunch or dinner or breakfast.

From since I was young (& this is a "nurture" problem I think I inherited from my family) eating has been more about ritual or celebration or habit or emotion than it has been about nutrition. Those are some powerful attitudes to try to change. Mindless eating because I'm in a particular situation, eating because it's expected socially, not regulating well -- These are all problems that have led to overeating for me. I simply have trouble saying no to food (& now that I am eating healthful foods, I think, the more the better, right?!).

Sorry, OP, that's a little off topic but it's weird that you posted this right as I've also been thinking about patterns of eating.

As for your post, I agree with Puma that it might depend a lot on what you are eating or if you might have any deficiencies that are simply not satisfied by what you are eating. (Or, if you have a gut that needs healing and is sending your brain the wrong signals.) I find that if I am eating the right things (for my body) I do not get hungry when I overeat because I'm satiated. If that makes sense. (It doesn't explain why I continue to overeat...). But I do remember times when I was eating less healthily & getting very hungry, even if I snacked between meals. OP, what are you eating/overeating?

Edited for typos & clarity.

pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page