Homemade Bread Storage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do you store your homemade bread?  I've always stored mine in gallon ziplock bags and I wash and reuse the bags, but I've been throwing a lot of bags lately because I've reused them so many times.  Just wondering if anyone has any good solutions.  I feel like I must be missing something since people were eating bread long before plastic storage bags!

#2 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
My parents use a calico drawstring bag

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)

I usually store it in a glass covered cake plate, or if that's being used for something else and I don't have plans to use the crockpot, I wrap it in a tea towel and set it in there (easy since my crockpot lives on the counter. If that fails and it's down to half a loaf, I put it in my milk glass cookie jar if that's free. Totally depends on the state of baking at our house, since I tend to bake a week's worth of bread, muffins and treats on Sundays.  

What I really want is a good old fashioned wooden bread box. That's supposed to be the very best way to keep bread fresh. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#4 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

My parents use a calico drawstring bag

That is a great idea and would be so easy to sew up. I've been looking for a simple project to get back to my sewing machine with. How long does the bread stay fresh that way?

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

#5 of 9 Old 06-23-2013, 10:39 PM

Growing up in New England, we had a bread box.

Living in Hong Kong, in the summer our bread can start to grow mold overnight, so I keep it in the fridge.

#6 of 9 Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, right now we're living in the desert, so ours might be fine in a cloth bag.  The end piece might get dry, but we usually make toast so it wouldn't matter.  Thanks for all the good ideas!  I like the cake plate idea, too!

#7 of 9 Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Are wooden bread boxes really that good?  We have a new unopened one bought 3 years ago.  Was going to give it as a gift but never did.  Maybe we should take it out and give it a try.  I feel a bit weird not being able to wash it.  Especially since bread might get moldy sometimes.  I've been using ziploc bags for my bread. 

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
#8 of 9 Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poddi View Post

Are wooden bread boxes really that good?  We have a new unopened one bought 3 years ago.  Was going to give it as a gift but never did.  Maybe we should take it out and give it a try.  I feel a bit weird not being able to wash it.  Especially since bread might get moldy sometimes.  I've been using ziploc bags for my bread. 

You could always put a piece of parchment paper or a cleanable tray in the bottom as liner, that way if you get mold you can just pitch it (or wash it) and the mold never would've touched the wood. 

#9 of 9 Old 06-24-2013, 05:31 PM

This is the bread box I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Roll-Top-Bread-Bin-Finish/dp/B000BPM908/ref=lp_13880451_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1372120063&sr=1-11

Also, it's better to store bread in the freezer than in the fridge if you are going to keep it cold. The fridge makes it go stale faster. The freezer keeps it fresher without having it be stale.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page