Favorite Jam and Preserve Recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

I have all the basics  Strawberry, raspberry, plum, etc.  

What are your favorites?  My jam cupboard is looking a bit bare these days and I need some inspiration!!  Hit me with links!  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I sadly don't have as much time as I would want to dedicate to making my own preserves, but this is an item that I purchased a couple of weeks ago and I ABSOLUTELY LOOOVE IT!! (I use all caps when I'm really excited about something): 

http://www.madeincalifornia.net/MFC020.html 

In other words, the mysterious link above is for Sour Power: a tart fruit spread made with sour cherries and rhubarb. I'm pretty crazy about tart and sour food items, so this one is right up my alley. 

I also make a delicious quince marmelade using my grandmother's recipe - I'll post it here later. It takes a lot of work, as quince is a hard fruit and you have to grate it (similar to grating pumpkin if you want to make pumpkin pie from scratch) - but the result is a flavorful, chunky golden bliss. 

Old 07-08-2013, 09:15 AM

I just picked like 12 pounds of wild mulberries, so I made a ton of triple berry jam with mulberries, strawberries, and raspberries. SO SO good!!

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 PM

We use raspberry and wild black raspberry the most, but other more unusual flavors we have made and enjoyed include strawberry kiwi, peach orange marmalade, Asian pear ginger, Black Forest, spiced blueberry, sour cherry vanilla....I have so many jars of jam in my basement. Actually if anyone has some creative recipe suggestions to USE jam, I'd be all ears.

Wife to my DH Mama to my two girls  hearts.gif'03 and love.gif '06 and my sweet babyboy.gif 3-'10 I am blessed.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 PM

I love strawberry-banana!!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

Three of my favorites - 

Wine jelly

Herb jelly

Apricot jam

All three are great with roasted meats, and I make a crockpot pork roast with a full jar of the apricot jam fairly often that is amazing. 

Apartment Farm - the chronicles of my cooking, gardening, crafting and other such things. 

Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchensqueen View Post

Three of my favorites - 

Wine jelly

Herb jelly

Apricot jam

All three are great with roasted meats, and I make a crockpot pork roast with a full jar of the apricot jam fairly often that is amazing. 

I do a similar pork roast with apricot jam and caramelized onions. I'm so jammy lately-I've been making a ton! 

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List