How do you get your toddler/preschool to eat CLO/butter oil? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

My green pastures order just came. I got capsules for the 6yo and I, but the boys need the "gel". I got the chocolate flavored clo/butter oil blend. I tried giving it to the 4yo straight, without putting the idea in his head that it would be yucky. He immediately spit it out. Ack. I tried a new tactic for the 19mo, squirted a little organic raspberry chocolate syrup on it. He doesn't quite "scrape" spoons off with his lips, so regardless of what he's eating, there's always significant amounts of food left on the spoon after a bite. In hind sight, I should have put the chocolate syrup on the bottom so that would have been what was left! He doesn't particularly like being spoon fed (and lacks the coordination to use a spoon himself yet) so its a bit of work to convince him to open his mouth for the spoon in the first place. Ugh. So I managed to get what I hope is approximately 1 dose in his mouth, but I don't know if I'll be able to replicate those results 2-3x/day, every day! And that doesn't even get to the 4yo. Eek! How does everyone get their little ones to eat this stuff? We're taking it largely because all of us, except the 6yo, have really bad teeth. the 4yo already had a mouth full of fillings put in last year under GA, and the 19mo's teeth are looking horrid already. I think the easiest way I might be able to get the little one to take it would be with a straw mixed in with some kind of smoothie. He would have to like it well enough to be motivated to drink it all. And the 4yo.. who knows. Maybe he'll take it smoothie style. Anyone have any great tricks to share?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Haven't had troubles with this specifically but I definitely sneak stuff in with smoothies and (coconut) yogurt!

#3 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

lurk.gif  No tips here. The only reason I haven't invested in clo/butter oil is that I have no clue how to get a toddler to eat it!

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#4 of 4 Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Luckily, we got a good routine with it. The toddler, who needs it the most, takes it with the chocolate syrup. Its so much easier after its been in the fridge. The 4yo will take it if he feels like it.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page