Anyone on here have children with PKU - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-05-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't seem to find anyone that talks about having PKU.  I only find links to threads where people have talked about refusing the infant screening at birth. 

My identical twin girls, 14 months, have PKU and I am looking to connect with others that have children with PKU.

Amy, SAHM to 6yo Nadia and 2mo Darcy and Penelope

#2 of 4 Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I wonder if you posted this in "parenting" if you get a response??? You posted in 'nutrition and good eating"

http://www.mothering.com/community/f/35/parenting

Good luck and if you need help let me know!!

#3 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

From the Mayo Clinic website:

PKU:

"Phenylketonuria (fen-ul-ke-toe-NU-re-uh) is a birth defect that causes an amino acid called phenylalanine to build up in your body. Phenylketonuria is caused by a mutation in a gene that helps create the enzyme needed to break down phenylalanine.

Amino acids are the building blocks for protein, but too much phenylalanine can cause a variety of health problems. People with phenylketonuria (PKU) — babies, children and adults — need to follow a diet that limits phenylalanine, which is found mostly in foods that contain protein.

Babies in the United States and many other countries are screened for phenylketonuria soon after birth. Although phenylketonuria is rare, recognizing phenylketonuria right away can help prevent serious health problems."

Thank you for suggesting that I post in the Parenting Forum, and I may re-post there, but this is actually the correct place to post, in my opinion. 

My girls are on a protein restricted diet and I am wanting to connect with other parents that have to deal with this diet lifestyle.

Amy, SAHM to 6yo Nadia and 2mo Darcy and Penelope

#4 of 4 Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Cool, I was just trying to get you to a wider audiencesmile.gif Good luck!!!

ETA: And I was not sure if you knew exactly where you postedsmile.gif. I saw that you are a new member and when I first started here I always posted in the wrong section *sigh*

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page