Recipes for parents and children - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Forgive me if a thread has been started about this somewhere else; I couldn't find one.

I was reading this article on BabyCenter http://www.babycenter.com/0_cooking-with-kids_1433902.bc?scid=mbtw_post5y_8m_3w&pe=MlV3NkpuVXwyMDEzMDcxMA..  and thought I'd start a collection of recipes that can be made with children, not just because I don't have the money to buy any of the cookbooks they're recommending at the moment but also because I know that Mothering members would have great ideas to share.

My 7-year-old daughter likes to spread Nutella on bread, or lately, cream cheese on bagels.

One of my personal favorites that I'm pretty sure she could help me with if she wanted to is peanut butter and jelly. Find your favorite kind of preserve or jelly and spread it on one piece of bread (or one half of one piece of bread if you're feeding a small person who only needs one piece of bread, not two), and put peanut butter, or a different kind of butter like almond butter, on the other side.

A super easy snack that can be made by a child who has good coordination is peanut butter spread inside celery. All you have to do is cut off the ends of the celery, rinse it off, and use a dull butter knife to spread the peanut butter (or your preferred butter) in the celery.

I don't know if these qualify as recipes, since they're so simple and easy and don't have that many ingredients and don't require any cooking. But they're a start, and I look forward to seeing what others make with their children, and what their children make on their own.

cynthia mosher likes this.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#2 of 10 Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

This is a very nice idea! if we get a bunch of good posts of recipes we can pull them into an article. thumb.gif

#3 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Cynthia!

My daughter enjoys making this one from her Cheerios cookbook, called Frozen Yogonanas:

1 to 2 containers (6 oz each) yogurt (any flavor)

3 to 4 cups Cheerios cereal (I substitute Cascadian Farm Fruitful O's or Honey Nut O's)

4 firm ripe medium bananas

1. Line a cookie sheet with foil.

2. Spoon the yogurt into a shallow dish. Pour the cereal into another shallow dish. Peel the bananas and cut each one into 6 pieces.

3. Roll each banana piece in the yogurt, then in the cereal to coat. Place the coated banana pieces on the cookie sheet. Freeze uncovered until firm, about 1 hour. (These are best eaten the same day they are made.)

8 servings (3 coated banana pieces each)

These good-for-you treats are easier to handle (and eat) if you stick a strong plastic straw or a wooden stick with round ends in the banana pieces before you coat them with yogurt and cereal.

#4 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

My 5-year-old son has helped me with this one before.

Banana Bread

1 cup sugar (I sometimes substitute 4 packets of stevia)

1/3 cup softened butter

2 eggs

3 to 4 medium mashed ripe bananas

1/3 cup water

1 2/3 cup flour (not self-rising)

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of loaf pan (mine broke so I use an 8 x 8 square dish). Mix sugar and butter in 2 1/2 quart bowl. Stir in eggs until blended. Add bananas and water; beat for 30 seconds.

Stir in remaining ingredients except nuts until moistened; stir in nuts and pour into pan.

Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean:

8-inch loaf 1 1/4 hours,

9-inch loaf 55 to 60 minutes,

muffins 25 minutes

Cool 5 minutes.

Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing.

#5 of 10 Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

My daughter gave me this recipe to share with you.

Fruit Cake

Ingredients:

3 cut bananas

Chopped strawberries

1 sliced peach

4 containers of yogurt (Stonyfield YoKids size)

Get a plate. Chop the banana. Put it on the edges of the plate.

Put the strawberries inside the edge.

Put the peaches inside the strawberries.

Plop the yogurt on top.

It's done - enjoy!

(This is good frozen too.)

#6 of 10 Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

Anyone else have things to add? Maybe we can get Cathe Olson in here to suggest a few things. love.gif

#7 of 10 Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I don't mean to be a party pooper here, but my kids helped with any meal, from a very early age. ElderSon was super coordinated and conscious of safety, and I taught him to slice veggies (start with mushrooms - they are the easiest) at 2 or 3. The other trick is to use a very sharp knife - you have much better control if you aren't forcing it. Sure, he cut himself occasionally when he was learning - don't we all? By 4, he was creating his own recipes - try scrambled eggs with soy sauce and fresh dill - it's fantastic! BigGirl has cooked from serious gourmet recipes since she could read. YoungSon, with autism and dyslexia, has a limited repertoire, but cooks bacon and eggs, popcorn (not microwave), and a few other preferred treats. He also helps chop veggies and stir fry.

I don't get creating recipes "for kids" - I would rather teach them to cook regular food. And all my kids, even foster kids, prefer helping with the real work of the family, rather than created kid projects.

Catholic Mama likes this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#8 of 10 Old 08-24-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

mamarhu, I don't think you're a party pooper. From my point of view though, my parents didn't teach me how to cook. By the time I was in high school and I started asking my parents if they needed help with dinner, they almost always said no, they didn't need help, so I went to do something else instead of learn from them. (Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but that's how I remember it, sadly.) So I want to teach my children - both boys and girls - how to cook by the time they leave home, with the limited knowledge that I have.

Plus my oldest child cut her hand badly in the past year, even though she was 7. So what my children do in the kitchen is still pretty limited. She is fairly coordinated, but I am still wary after what happened months ago.

I would like for my children to help at any (most) meal like yours do, but they are usually too busy playing to care, and if I were to make them help, they might resent it and not enjoy it or learn anything. So we have Cooking in our 7-year-old's and 5-year-old's chore charts so they do something daily and leave it at that. I let helping with dishes count for that too when there wasn't much for them to help with.

I don't do just-for-children recipes, either. I guess what I was looking for when I started this discussion is recipes that aren't too hard for children, and are challenging enough for both adults and children while helping them learn.

#9 of 10 Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a healthy version of "shake n' bake" would be fun. Just put the breading (almond meal, cornmeal, healthy bread crumbs, etc) in a bag and give it to them to shake!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#10 of 10 Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I let the kids help with the parts of any meal that they can. I bought one of those large plastic lettuce knives, which is pretty sharp but doesn't cut skin, and the kids love to use that to chop produce. They also measure, pour, stir/whisk, crack eggs, grate cheese, and lots of other stuff. So I don't really look for recipes where they can do everything from start to finish, but rather view cooking as a group effort where we all have a role to play, within or abilities.

I know you aren't looking for cookbook recommendations, but before my kids could read I really liked Pretend Soup, because all the recipes are shown in pictures, so the kids loved being able to tell me what came next. They still like to do that, but with written recipes now. I just sometimes have to double check because they sometimes say "tablespoon" when it should be "teaspoon." It's a good teaching moment though, telling them how important precise measurements are in baking, while in cooking we do most stuff to taste instead.

DD likes to help me bake, mostly because she likes to eat the sweet treats afterwards, but DS really seems interested in the cooking process, and retains information like when we add baking soda to a recipe, there's usually an acid (like buttermilk) to react with it and provide leavening, or when we combine oil and vinegar in a salad dressing, we need to add an emulsifier (like dijon mustard) to make it a uniform consistency rather than separating. He's into the science of it all. I think he'll be a good cook when he gets older!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page