packing lunch for school - identical every day or variety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm curious, those of you who have years of experience packing lunches for school. Do you pack pretty much the same thing every day? Or does it change day to day?

My DD will be entering kindergarten, but I've been packing lunches for camp for her this summer and I'm finding it way too time-consuming. I recently heard someone comment about kids liking the consistency of lunch being totally predictable and wondered if that's my key to making the prep process go faster. Then I could probably also do more of it in advance, maybe 5 at a time. If we had space in our fridge...
cynthia mosher likes this.
#2 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd's lunch is almost the same day to day. Sandwich, fruit, vegetable..sometimes crackers or dips for the vegetable as treats. Seems boring to me..but that is what she likes. Btw she is going into the third grade, and this is what her lunch has looked like since K.
#3 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 04:47 PM

My dd will go through stages of liking something a whole lot (4 of 5 lunches the same all week) to getting bored of all the same things where she no longer eats most of lunch and i have to figure out something new to send with her. She mostly doesn't like sandwiches or salads most of the time, so we have to find creative ideas anyway ( cottage cheese or yogurt, bagel, mini amounts of nibbling food with some fruit/veg).
#4 of 8 Old 08-05-2013, 04:55 PM

My kids like the same kind of sandwiches everyday. We make up a few weeks worth of either meat and cheese or peanut butter and jelly and freeze them. Then take one out the night before and stick it in the fridge. They take 100% fruit juice, a fresh fruit or veggie and either chips or cookie along with the sandwich.

SAHM  to 6run.gif

#5 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkimum View Post

My dd will go through stages of liking something a whole lot (4 of 5 lunches the same all week) to getting bored of all the same things where she no longer eats most of lunch and i have to figure out something new to send with her. She mostly doesn't like sandwiches or salads most of the time, so we have to find creative ideas anyway ( cottage cheese or yogurt, bagel, mini amounts of nibbling food with some fruit/veg).

Same here!

Mom "D" to DD1 "Z" (14) and DD2 "I" (11) DH "M"

#6 of 8 Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tend to pack the left overs sometimes done up in a new way for lunches. Unless it was a big flop then he takes a box of mac and cheese or something like that and makes it at school. Have you all seen the incredible bento boxes people do? Or the cartoons on paper lunch bags? Some of that art work is beautiful.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#7 of 8 Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 PM

I prize making things easy.  So my kids' packed lunches are almost always the previous night's supper. We usually make supper with that in mind.  If my kids don't eat their lunch, I sometimes ask why & then ask for their suggestions.

Things are easier now they are in high school. They have pocket $, some of which can go to school lunches - but they like to save that $$$ and eat the lunches I make, even if they are not the "tastiest"  - they are free. :)

#8 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 AM

I try to have consistent variety in a week, but repeat the same lunches throughout the month. I use Yumbox for my 6 year old and it really makes it so much easier to create fun lunches that she enjoys eating. So often a whole sandwich would come back minus a bite or two. Now I know that she eats much better. I also like to send some seasonal things. Like this month we are eating lots of fresh corn and melons.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating , Naturebox Healthy Snacks , Play Doh Poppin Movie Snacks , Happy Baby Happy Yogis Yogurt Snacks Mixed Berry , Fleurville Lunch Buddy , Ju Ju Be Belicious Eco Friendly Lunch Tote , Lunchbots Quad Stainless Steel Food Container Lime Green

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page