Do you cook from scratch every day? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went to a wellness lecture at our chiropractors office, and learned that microwaving food kills all the nutrients and changes the molecular structure of the food. It becomes unrecognizable to our bodies. Did you know that?? Another great reason to cook from scratch whenever possible!
#32 of 43 Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I have heard about microwaving changing the food, but I'm not sure if it's hype mixed with fact or not.  We don't currently have a microwave, and I'm in no hurry to get one.  They seem to have extremely short livespans in our home, lol, and I have very little counter space so I don't really want another.  However my husband does use it to reheat made from scratch food when he's on lunch break.  I think they have their place, and really a bigger issue for me is the type of food you'd typically be microwaving in the first place (highly processed stuff).

cynthia mosher likes this.
#33 of 43 Old 08-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Based on the research I've done, I believe the dangers of microwaving thing is pretty much a myth.  If you google you'll find articles from both sides of the issue, but IMHO the ones saying bad stuff about microwaves are from less believable sources.  There's a good article from Scientific American (which I consider to be a reputable source) that explains why it's a myth.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#34 of 43 Old 08-26-2013, 07:43 PM

Because I eat mostly raw and vegetarian, I also tend to cook from scratch every day. And also because I'm "boycotting" the Downtown San Francisco overpriced lunch food options. They are all amazing, organic and delicious, but also oh so expensive!! So I'm making boxed lunches for myself every day... as for cooking time, since most everything is raw (salads), there's not much cooking, but a lot of chopping and peeling. I do my groceries once a week at a farmers' market and then have a marathon with myself every week to go through all the veggies and fruit I purchased that week before they go bad. I usually make big experimental salads with a million ingredients in them, or big quinoa/farro/couscous/some other grain salads that can last in the fridge for a few days. 

For example: 

One boiled beet, one avocado, 2 green onions, a bunch of baby heirloom tomatoes, a handful of alfalfa sprouts, a handful of parsley, half a cucumber, a jalapeño, hemp seeds, some shredded parmesan, olive oil, lemon zest, pepper and salt.

#35 of 43 Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

Based on the research I've done, I believe the dangers of microwaving thing is pretty much a myth.  If you google you'll find articles from both sides of the issue, but IMHO the ones saying bad stuff about microwaves are from less believable sources.  There's a good article from Scientific American (which I consider to be a reputable source) that explains why it's a myth.

If it is a myth that would be really good news for me. I try to avoid it as much as possible but would love to be able to take advantage of quick heating more often. Got a link to the article?

Has anyone tried salad jars? Can you really make them in advance for the week and quality not be compromised?

#36 of 43 Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Cynthia, I trust Natural News and this is what it says (about the same as what Dr. Mercola says on mercola.com with a little more detail):

http://www.naturalnews.com/021966_microwaves_microwave_ovens.html

and more articles
http://www.naturalnews.com/microwaves.html

I'm interested in hearing about salad jars, too.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#37 of 43 Old 08-27-2013, 07:02 PM

Here's the link to that Scientific American article: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=is-there-any-evidence-tha

And here's a link to Snopes, where they tested out that commonly spread idea that microwaved water kills plants: http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#38 of 43 Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 PM

I cook everything from scratch except we buy bread (gluten free vegan food for life brand millet/rice bread) and salsa/hummus premade. I make hummus occasionally but I really do like this one local organic brand better and it comes out to be about the same price as if I made it. Maybe once a month we'll get something like vegan ice cream (coconut bliss) that is a little more expensive... I really want to invest in an ice cream maker though so I can make my own healthy sugar-free vegan sorbets, frozen yogurt and ice cream!! I've been making big batches of stuff and freezing it too and that really helps cut down my food prep time. 

#39 of 43 Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 PM

I make vegan ice cream in my ice cream maker (with coconut milk).  It is SO good!  And much cheaper than Coconut Bliss (which is also delicious). 

#40 of 43 Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I cook almost everything from "scratch", but often it is as simple as a packaged or frozen meal would be. I put 3 or 4 ingredients in a pan, put it in the oven, and take it out a while later. Or I stir-fry some veggies, and cook a pot of rice. Even freshly made salad dressing can be simple (olive oil, soy sauce, and chopped garlic - 2 minutes, and SOOOOO good!) I detest the taste of most prepared foods, but I don't feel especially noble or virtuous about avoiding them. 

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#41 of 43 Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Absolutely! "Scratch" has many meanings though, such as pulling a home-cooked meal from the freezer, or eating something produced
during my Saturday "Food Factory" sessions, such as a huge tossed salad that will last a few nights.
*Plan your dinner menu and make your grocery list from that.
*Cook more than you need for one meal. Leftovers work well for lunches and leftover veggies go nicely in an omelette, fritatta or stir-fry.
*It's so easy to double or triple a recipe and pop some in the freezer.
*Crock pots help busy moms, too!
*Stock your pantry with extra canned beans, salsa, broth, nuts, frozen veggies. Basics that can be turned into a meal in a flash.
*Start a pot of soup in the morning and let simmer while you go about your day.

Blessings!

Catholic Mama likes this.
#42 of 43 Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Hi! I hate meals that come in packages and canes. That is not food to me. It happened to us (me and my husband) that during a busy week end up eating foods with little preparation (like pizza, empanadas, sandwiches, etc), and it only takes a few days of eating like that to make me feel sick and craving a salad, a steak, some roasted chicken, a home-made pasta, anything simple.

My husband does the cooking at home, and he is very good at it. We have italian and spanish background so we eat a lot of mediterranean-like food (a lot of salads, olive oil, etc), we have most our meats grilled, roasted or in the oven. We have salad with every meal, I love different types of lettuce and ruccula.

I wouldn't reccomend switching to frozen meals (unless they are your own) because everything that comes in a package has ingredients that are unhealthy and artificial.

#43 of 43 Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Wow, anablis, I'm impressed at how nutritiously you and your husband eat.

I just popped in to say that maybe when some of the other posters say "frozen meals", they are talking about a meal that you make, like in a 9 x 13 pan for example, and then freeze. I've done that with Ground Beef Spiral Bake and Shepherd's Pie. The night before we're going to eat it, I thaw it in the fridge, and bake it before we eat it. (If that isn't what anyone else meant, then never mind, but maybe this is a healthier meaning of "freezer meal".)

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating , Mom Made Foods Cheesy Mac Meal 7 Ounce Boxes Pack Of 8 , Nita Mehtas South Indian Recipes , Bobs Red Mill Organic Scottish Oatmeal 20 Ounce Bags Pack Of 4 , Vegan , Cookbooks , Stonyfield Farm Yogurt Cookbook , Feeding The Whole Family Recipes For Babies Young Children And Their Parents

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page