Share Your Recipes for a Chance to Win a Huge Prize Package from Classic Hostess! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

This giveaway has ended. Thank you to everyone who entered--the recipes are all wonderful and we'll be publishing many in our recipes section. Thank you as well to Classic Hostess for donating such an amazing prize. They have many wonderful items so check out their site!

The randomly chosen winner is....MrsKoehn! You will be notified by email. Congrats!!!

LL

Have a tasty and healthy recipe you'd like to share? Post it on this thread for a chance win a delightful prize package from our friends at Classic Hostess AND to have it considered for publication in Mothering's food section!

What You Can Win

One lucky winner will be chosen randomly on Sept 6th to win the entire prize package from Classic Hostess shown below. Value is over $250.

Ceramic Bakeware Set

The lime green 9 piece ceramic bake ware set is a must have for any serious chef that appreciates style and color too. Each individual piece can be used for baking, cooking, microwaving, serving, and storage.

Dublin Crystal 4 in 1 Cake Plate with Dome

Breathtaking and surprisingly versatile, this footed dublin cake dome is specially designed to be used for a variety of functions. By simply combining the dome lid and plate in different ways, the cake plate reverses to a four compartment tray with an attached bowl. Turn over the dome and voila! a beautiful punch bowl appears.

Happy Birthday Dessert Plates

Happy Birthday, one of our most beloved collections, featuring hand-drawn, topsy-turvy cakes, is a perfect for celebrating family occasions. Set of 4 assorted dessert plates, gift boxed. Made of refined porcelain. Microwave and dishwasher safe.

Ceramic White Cookie Jar

Elegant and attractive, it is a practical way to display your cookies or any baked delicacy in style. This elegant cookie jar with tight-sealing lid features an interchangeable pineapple motif and includes a dry erase marker.

2 Gallon Beehive Beverage Dispenser with Stand

Have your guests buzzing around this glass beverage dispenser to serve themselves some water, iced tea, lemonade, sangria or any favorite drink. No bees in the hive, but the bees on the wrought iron stand give this drink dispenser an authentic and fun look.

Doodle Placemats

The dinner table is a great place to "draw" the family together. With our adorable set of 4 place mats, your guests can personalize their dining experience. They will have both kids and young adults sketching, sharing and playing. Set of 4 with 8 washable markers.

About Classic Hostess

Classic Hostess is a celebration of stylish serveware and glamorous glassware that sets the standard for excellence in entertaining. From Beverage Dispensers, Cake Stands to the GG Collection, find innovative and inspiring Home Decor.

Classic Hostess also carries dazzling collections of dinnerware, Pitchers and barware, flatware and even Ravenscroft Decanters. Whether you need a dispenser for summer iced tea batches, a crystal cake stand for a special birthday, or champagne flutes to toast a celebration, Classic Hostess has got you covered!

How to Enter

• First, either "like" Classic Hostess on Facebook and/or follow them on Google +.
  • Then, following the guidelines below, post your own recipes to this thread. You may post as many recipes as you like but each should be in a separate post. Each will count as a unique entry into the giveaway.

For an Additional Entry

• Share this giveaway with friends and then post a separate response letting us know that you did.

Recipe Guidelines

Every recipe shared here that meets our guidelines will be considered for publication in the recipes section of Mothering.com so that other moms can easily find it in the future! If your recipe is published your username will be credited and you will be notified. Recipes must be your own or that of a friend or family member and shared with permission. 

All recipes should contain the following:

• A full list of ingredients and ingredient amounts
  • Clear directions for preparation and the number of servings
  • Relevant special notes (ie gluten-free, vegan or perfect for those with nut allergies)
  • A photo (this is optional--recipes with photos will not be given preference but we encourage them when possible)

All recipes are welcome and we'd especially love to publish recipes that include one or all of the following elements:

• Wholesome
  • Frugal
  • Fun to make with kids
  • Easy/fast to prepare
  • Great for school lunches/snacks
  • Festive
  • Great for freezing
  • Use fresh, seasonal ingredients
  • Vegetarian
  • Vegan
  • Gluten-free
  • Allergen-free

Rules

Giveaway ends at 11:59 PM PT on Sept 9th. All members may submit recipes for publication consideration, only residents of the US and Canada will be entered to win in the giveaway. Please read the full rules before entry.

Image credit: Nick Nguyen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 77 Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Only logged-in members can post responses and enter the giveaway, but you can become one in the blink of an eye! (We offer both easy Facebook Connect and new account registration, the choice is all yours.)

Once you have signed up, just post your recipe below!

#3 of 77 Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

[Disclaimer: I can't enter the contest since I am a staff member, but wanted to share this cool recipe that I'm really proud and excited about. Y'all should try it! I gave a lot of these to my friends to try out and they all loved it!]

Raw Vegan Energy Bars

A few weeks ago I made my first batch of energy bars!!  I'm really proud and happy with the result. Unlike traditional bars that are too dry and too sweet, this one's moist, a bit tart from the apricots (key ingredient for taste, btw!), a bit bitter from cocoa nibs, a bit spicy from ginger. The amounts below gave me about 20 bars - which I wrapped in cellophane and store in the freezer. The recipe is inspired by recipes I read in this book, but doesn't follow them identically. I just used whatever I had in the house and improvised. If you like more tart things - this will be right up your alley. I eat one every morning on my way to work and one in the evening before I hit the gym. 

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/4 cup hempseed (protein-filled - one of the best way for vegans to get their protein) 
  • 1/4 cup cocoa nibs (I ground these a bit in a coffee grinder - they add a nice crunch and bitter taste) 
  • 2 cups chopped soaked dates (make the mix more mushy and moist rather than dry and chewy) 
  • 1/4 ground walnuts
  • 1/4 sesame seeds
  • 1 cup coconut flakes 
  • 1 cup chopped dried apricots (I'd love to try dried cherries as well - the apricots give this mix its tart flavor) 
  • 1/2 golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup almond flour
  • 1 lemon juice & zest
  • fresh grated ginger 
  • agave nectar (a few tea spoons) 
  • 2 spoons of coconut oil (essential ingredient to tie everything together into a doughy texture)

Directions: 

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix them all together. I mixed mine with my hands. It can get messy. Shape it in a log, cool it in the fridge or freezer for a while so it can solidify a little, then cut it into shapes of desired thickness and wrap each individual one in either waxed paper or cellophane. Store them in the fridge or freezer. 

If anyone else ends up making it, let me know how you liked it! I'd love to hear your feedback! Also, if you have variations of these ingredients or recommend to use others, please let me know. Enjoy!! 

Melanie Mayo likes this.
#4 of 77 Old 08-29-2013, 05:20 PM

Here's my recipe for Super Mama Lactation Cookies! (dairy free)

Super Mama Lactation Cookies

1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 rounded tsp kosher salt
3/4 c almond peanut butter*
3/4 c butter*, softened
1 c flax
3 T brewer’s yeast
1/3 c water
1/3 c sugar
2/3 c brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
10 oz chocolate chips*
1 3/4 c oats*

Preheat oven to 350 F

1) Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.

2) In a large bowl, beat almond butter, butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, brewer’s yeast, flax and water until creamy.

3) Gently add in eggs.

4) Gradually beat in flour mixture.

5) Add chocolate chips.

6) Gradually add oats.

Place spoonfuls of dough onto greased baking sheets pressing down with the back of the spoon to flatten a bit.

Bake 12 minutes.

*Couple ingredient notes:

- Almond or Peanut butter, I’ve tried both and like them either way
- Oats: I use GF whole oats, just don’t use quick oats
- Butter: I use earth balance, because we are dairy-free, but you can use regular butter in the same quantity
- I use Enjoy Life Mega chunk chocolate chips (dairy free)
- You could add nuts if you like that sort of thing

#5 of 77 Old 08-29-2013, 05:24 PM

This is a family favorite, and is also dairy-free - and very quick! 

Chicken, Carrots and Couscous
(4 servings)

3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger 
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper 
6 carrots, thinly sliced on the bias 
2 c chicken stock
1/2 c water
1 c couscous 
2 c coarsely shredded chicken 
3 tbs olive oil 
1/2 c sliced almonds 
1/3 c dried dates or raisins 
4 scallions, white and light green parts only, sliced  
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro

1) Bring stock and water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon, the ginger, salt and pepper. Add the carrots and cook until just tender, approximately 6 minutes. Drain the carrots, reserving the cooking liquid.

2) Place the couscous and chicken in a medium bowl; pour the hot cooking liquid on top. Stir and cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit 5 minutes.

3) Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet, medium heat. Add the almonds, currants, scallions and 1/4 tsp cinnamon and cook, stirring, until the almonds are toasted. Stir in the cilantro.

4) Fluff the couscous and chicken with a fork, then divide among 4 bowls. Top with the carrots and sprinkle with the almond mixture. 

Melanie Mayo and Monica S like this.
#6 of 77 Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 AM

Black Bean Brownies (can be made vegan and gluten free)

1 (15-20 oz) can plain black beans, drained and rinsed (the recipe works fine with either size of can so I go with whatever is available on sale)
3 eggs OR, for vegans, either 'flax eggs' OR three canned peaches ( 6 peach halves mashed with a fork)
3 T coconut oil or other vegetable oil but coconut oil is most delicious!
1/4 c cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 t vanilla
3/4 c white sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t (heaped) instant espresso powder (look for it at your local Italian grocery store -- so worth it!)
1/2 c quality chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate (I use Callebaut)
1/4 c walnuts, chopped (I usually make one pan with walnuts and two without since I don't like them)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

2.  Lightly grease 8x8 baking dish or muffin tin or mini muffin tin (I liked the pan brownies the best though the bite-size are cute and great for kids).
3.  Mix black beans through espresso in a food processor. 
4.  Pour mixture into a baking dish. 
5.  Sprinkle on chocolate chips and/or walnuts. 
6.  Bake for 30 minutes or until top is dry and starting to pull away from the sides (if using the mini-muffin size, reduce cooking time by five minutes).

Especially if you use the mashed peaches for binder instead of the egg, these brownies are chock-full of fibre, but they taste as good (or better!) than a conventional brownie.  I love taking these for potlucks as most vegan desserts aren't appealing to kids.  If you use appropriate brands of cocoa and chocolate, they can even be gluten free which is also great for a potluck.  As good as they are fresh, they are seriously better the second day :)

The recipe is a mashup of a bunch found on Pinterest.

Melanie Mayo likes this.
#7 of 77 Old 08-30-2013, 10:57 AM

I shared on my Facebook :)

#8 of 77 Old 08-30-2013, 11:34 AM

Lemon Chia Seed Muffins

This is a grain-free, dairy-free all around healthier version of the traditional lemon poppy seed muffins.  The addition of coconut oil, almond flour and chia seeds make it a healthy treat rich in protein, healthy fat and omega-3 fatty acids.  Kids love these muffins for their flavor.  Mom’s love them because they are healthy and they keep the kids going for a while!

Ingredients:

3            eggs (preferably organic and pasture-raised)

1/3            cup melted extra virgin coconut oil

¼            cup honey

1               tablespoon lemon zest (2 small or 1 large lemon)

2               tablespoons lemon juice  (2 small or 1 large lemon)

2 ½             cups almond meal or flour

½            teaspoon salt

½            teaspoon baking soda

1            tablespoon chia seeds

Procedure:

·      Preheat oven to 325 degrees

·      Line muffin pans with muffin/cupcake papers or squares of parchment paper..

·      In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs

·      Add coconut oil, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and beat until well combined.

·      In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and chia seeds.

·      Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.

·      Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them to the top.

·      Bake at 325 degrees for 20-3- minutes until golden brown.

Yield:  9 muffins

Options:

·      Double the recipe and freeze the muffins for future use.  

·      This recipe can be used to make a loaf or coffee cake by doubling the recipe and using a loaf pan or square baking pan and increasing the baking time to 1 hour until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

·      Coconut flour can be substituted for part of the almond flour. About 1 Tablespoon of coconut flour per ¼ cup of almond flour.

Source:  Tina Green, Natural Chef

Cost Per Serving:  $.78/muffin           

Melanie Mayo and Monica S like this.
#9 of 77 Old 08-30-2013, 03:44 PM

This is one of those dishes that hits the spot. eat.gif

Captains Chicken

4 chicken legs (drum and thigh)
1 large can whole peeled tomatoes
1/4 cup raisins
1 onion chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder

Sauté the onions in a 12" pan that has a lid. When the onions are soft, add the chicken. Brown chicken on a medium high heat. When both sides are a light brown, add the canned tomatoes, raisins and curry.
Cover and simmer for an hour or longer, until chicken pulls easily from the bone. Adjust the curry, add salt to taste.

Serve with rice and a side salad for a delicious meal.
It tastes even better the next day!

Gluten free, casein free, soy free, corn free
#10 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Black Bean and Quinoa…Burger?

For picky, I mean, moody eaters, especially!

Makes 4 adult burgers and 3 baby burgers:)  (or 6 adult burgers)

blackbean and quinoa burger

These are our go-to burgers when we're not actually having burgers.  They are great to freeze and are a breeze to make.  They're also fun to make with your kids.  We have them for dinner or I bring them along in our bento for lunch.  The only thing is that these are addicting!

Happy cooking!  Happy Eating!

You’ll need:

1 C dried black beans, soaked

1 1″ piece of kombu

1 bay leaf

1 t ground cumin

1/2 t ground coriander

1/2 C cooked quinoa

1/2 C walnuts, finely chopped

1/2 C finely shredded carrots (1 medium sized carrot should suffice)

1 small red onion, chopped

1/4 C parsley, finely chopped

3 T extra-virgin olive oil

Sea salt

Freshly ground pepper, to taste

To make:

1.  Cook off the beans.  Drain and rinse and add beans to a soup pot with enough water to cover.  Add kombu and bay leaf and let boil on high heat for 10 minutes.  Skim the foam off as often as needed.  After 10 minutes, reduce heat to medium, add cumin, coriander and a nice, solid pinch of sea salt.  Partially cover and cook for 50 minutes or until beans are very tender.  When done, drain (reserve some liquid, just in case) and mash with a potato masher.

2.  Add the rest of the ingredients to the beans and mix well.  (Optional:  You could refrigerate the mixture at this point to let is set and get firm before making patties, but it’s not necessary.)  Form 6 even patties.

3.  Heat 1/2T of oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat.  Cook burger about 5 minutes on first side or until golden brown, then flip burger and cook for another 4-5 minutes.

4.  Serve on a roll or pita (when in Rome, right!) and top with your favorite burger toppings.  I also like to serve it over an arugula salad with avocado.  YUM!

5.  Enjoy!

Monica S likes this.
#11 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 11:01 AM

Grilled Lemony Kale

Makes 1-2 bunches 

grilled kale

This is such an easy and delicious way to get some greens in at any meal.  Yes, breakfast too!  Another great thing about this recipe is that it's a great way to get the little ones into greens.  They're crunchy and crispy and the flavors of the olive oil, lemon and salt are irresistible even to little and young palates!

You’ll need:

• 1-2 bunches of kale (depending on how much you want to end up with)
  • 3 T extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 healthy pinch of sea salt or my new staple Himalayan pink salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper, optional
  • 1 t lemon zest (from an organic lemon), for garnish

To make:

1. Turn the grill on and keep setting to low.
  2. Wash and dry the kale leaving the leaves and stems intact. Then drizzle with olive oil and turn to coat the leaves.  You don’t want to use too much oil or the leaves will simply get limp.
  3. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper if using.
  4. Arrange the leaves to line up next to each other on the grill.  After about 2-3 minutes, turn leaves over.  You may need to do this a couple of times until you reach your desired level of crunchy to wilted ratio.
  5. When done (5-6 minutes, really), remove and place in a bowl.  Garnish with lemon zest.
  6. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy all summer long!
Monica S likes this.
#12 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 AM

GF Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yields 24 cookies

These delicious bits of sweetness came to me from a good friend while I was postpartum.  They are super easy to make and quite good for you as they are just the right amount of sweet with such little sweetener actually used.  They are also gluten-free, but you wouldn't know it!

You’ll need:

1/2C organic butter (1 stick), softened

1/4C coconut or date sugar

2 large organic eggs

1 t vanilla extract

1C almond meal or hazelnut meal

1C Brown Rice Flour

1/3C oat flour

1 t baking powder

1/2 t baking soda

1/2 t sea salt

1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips (or more if you want them chocolatey)

1/2 dried cherries, roughly chopped

a handful of pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

To make:

Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

1. In a food processor, add butter and coconut sugar and process until creamy (about 30 seconds should do it).  Add the eggs and vanilla and process to blend.

2. Add the almond meal, rice flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and process until dough forms.

3. 2 options: 1. You can add the rest of the ingredients and pulse to blend.  This will break up the chocolate chips and make chocolatey ‘streaks’ in your cookies.  Or 2. Place dough into a bowl and using a rubber spatula, incorporate the chocolate chips, cherries and pepitas.  (I go with the first option because it’s easier and there’s less to clean…every little bit helps when you’ve got a 5 month old to look after!)

4. Make walnut size balls (I use a heaping tablespoon as my measure) and press down lightly on each one.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool completely before digging in!

5. Enjoy!

Monica S likes this.
#13 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 11:09 AM

Kingdom Date Truffles

Makes 20 ridiculously amazing truffles

Say hello to your new favorite, super easy and very impressive desserts.  They're also a great dessert for kids as there is no added sugar.  The kids will also REALLY enjoy rolling these with you!

You’ll need:

2 C pitted dates, roughly chopped

1/4 C cacao powder

1 T ground flaxseeds

1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut, separated

1 T coconut oil (+ more for rolling truffles)

1/4 t cinnamon

1/2 t vanilla extract (optional)

For coating:

1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut

1/4 C hazelnut meal (or crushed hazelnuts)

1/4 C sesame seeds

To make:

1.  Place all the ingredients in a food processor and begin to process.  It will be noisy and tough to break up the dates, so it’ll take some time.  Add 1 T of water at a time to help loosen it up, but do so slowly so the mixture doesn’t get too wet or sticky.  If it does (it happened to me), add more coconut and a touch more cacao powder.

2. Refrigerate mixture for 20 minutes or so before rolling into little truffles.

3. Put some coconut oil on your hands before rolling.  Measure about a scant T and roll away.  I ended up with 20 exactly…kind of lucky I think, but of course it’ll depend on how large or small you roll them.

4. Coat the truffles in your desired coating or mix and match.  Then refrigerate for about 30 minutes or longer.  Just let them sit at room temp for a few minutes before serving.

5. Enjoy! 

mamapigeon and Monica S like this.
#14 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Love all of these so far! Keep them coming!

#15 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Chicken Bacon Ranch Wraps

Serves 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 children

Prep 30 min, plus chicken and bacon cooking times (I use left overs)

4 Burrito size tortillas, sprouted or flour

2-4 tsp Chipotle mayo

2-4 tsp Ranch dressing

Salt and pepper to taste

2 free range chicken breasts, grilled and sliced

4 strips nitrate free bacon, cooked

8 long leaves Romaine lettuce

2 Roma tomatoes, sliced the long way

1 avocado, sliced

Opt. Fresh jalapeno, sliced the long way

About 1 oz shredded cheese

Warm tortillas, slice chicken and veggies. Spread 1/2-1 tsp each sauce 3/4 of the way down the center and one side of each tortilla. Layer chicken, bacon, and veggies in order listed. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle a bit of cheese. Fold the bottom up snugly, then roll the filled side toward the center, tuck the "flap" under. May grill on a fry pan under a press if desired. Slice in 1/4 or 1/2 for small hands. Can secure with toothpicks or pretzel sticks.

You can easily use gf tortillas and use meat/dairy/eggless alternatives. We're gf/ egg free/ dairy free and use a lot of our garden produce. So yummy! Experiment with your garden/CSA/farmer's market produce for variety. Little ones enjoy layering the foods on the tortillas, the older will like to help chop the veggies. Perfect to use up bits of left overs and not heat up the summer kitchen! 

Monica S likes this.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim. Sheepish.gif

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#16 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 04:24 PM

Shared via FB, liked Classic Hostess. :)

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08heartbeat.gif, Ana born at home 11/12 slingboy.gifdust.gif

#17 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 04:37 PM

Guacamole Dip

Serves 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 children

Prep about 15 minutes

2 ripe organic avocados

1-2 organic garlic cloves, minced

1 medium organic tomato, diced

2 tsp fresh lemon juice (concentrate works in a pinch)

2 tablespoons organic sour cream (plain yogurt, mayo, or whole milk may be used or to go dairy free, omit entirely)

1 tsp fresh cilantro, minced

1/4 teaspoon cumin

salt and pepper to taste

Mash all ingredients together with a fork or whip up in a food processor. Yes, it's that easy and it's SO GOOD. If there happens to be any left over, cover with parchment or plastic completely touching the top layer of dip to keep from blackening. Serve with tortilla chips, on tacos, sandwiches, wraps, the possibilities are endless.

#18 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM

Grilled Chicken/Beef

Serves as many as you desire

Total time about 5-6 hours though your work is about 20 min total

Meat to marinate - I do a whole value size pack of chicken or grilling meat at a time and either use in various recipes or freeze.

1/2 cup prepared Italian dressing (for about 3 lbs chicken breasts)

1/4 tsp chili powder

1/4 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp oregano

Mix all ingredients (except meat) in a large bowl. If doing multiple types of meat, use separate bowls and marinate mixes. Add meat and coat well. Cover well and refrigerate 4 hours to overnight. I have even divided my meat up in Ziplock bags when I buy it and marinate it before I freeze it. That's a lovely time saver if you know you're going to be grilling soon. Fire up the grill to about medium temp (mine said 300 and was fine). Grill on both sides until meat juices run clear. Let set 5 min before slicing. This is great in the above posted wraps, in fajitas, in chicken salad, on a sandwich, or just plain and cold from the fridge.

Monica S likes this.

#19 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Lentil Herb Soup

1 bag dried lentils,rinsed and drained

1 onion, chopped 

2-3 sticks of celery, chopped

2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped

2 tablespoons olive oil

4 cubes of chicken or vegetable bouillon

OR

about 6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth

1 tablespoon dried parsley

OR

2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced

1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

1/2 teaspoon dried sage

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1 bay leaf 

salt and pepper to taste

In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute until transparent around the edges, about one minute. Add lentils and broth or bouillon cubes. If using bouillon cubes add enough water to cover the lentils. Add vegetables and bring to a simmer. Add herbs and reduce heat, simmering the soup till the lentils and vegetables are soft, about two hours. Add more water as it cooks out, stirring from time to time. Season with salt and pepper before serving. Makes about 8 servings.

Monica S likes this.
#20 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I love to make sushi, its easy to make a healthy meal using leftovers.

Stina's BLT Sushi

1 sheet seaweed / nori
1 cup leftover brown rice (any kind will do)
2 strips of bacon, cooked
1/3 tomatoe, sliced thin
1-2 tbsps wasabi mustard
1/3 cup daikon sprouts
1/4 an avocado, sliced thin

1 kale leaf, rough chopped.

Working on a sheet of plastic wrap, get your hands damp with water and gently distribute the rice over the bottom 3/4 of the nori. Line up your ingredients on the non-rice part of the nori. Stack them neatly on top of one another. Roll the un-riced part of the nori over the ingredients, taking care to keep it tight and contained. 

When the nori has encased all of the ingredients, use the plastic to help you continue rolling until all the rice is encased in what looks like a seasweed pipe. Lay the plastic over the roll and with a sharp knife that has been dipped in water, slice the roll into 8 equal segments. It helps to clean the knife between cuttings. Remove the plastic and serve.

#21 of 77 Old 09-01-2013, 10:16 PM

Did I mention I love, love, love sushi? I keep nori in the pantry for a quick, easy leftovers lunch.

Stina's French Sushi

1 sheet seaweed / nori
1 and 1/3 cup leftover white rice (any kind will do)
3oz smoked salmon

1 pickled apsaragus, sliced in half

2T brie (the creamy inner part, no rind ;) )
1/4 an avocado, sliced thin

4-5 spinach leaves.

Working on a sheet of plastic wrap, get your hands damp with water and gently distribute the rice over the bottom 3/4 of the nori. Line up your ingredients on the non-rice part of the nori. Stack them neatly on top of one another. Roll the un-riced part of the nori over the ingredients, taking care to keep it tight and contained. 

When the nori has encased all of the ingredients, use the plastic to help you continue rolling until all the rice is encased in what looks like a seasweed pipe. Lay the plastic over the roll and with a sharp knife that has been dipped in water, slice the roll into 8 equal segments. It helps to clean the knife between cuttings. Remove the plastic and serve.

#22 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

There's still a couple of days left to enter this giveaway. If you haven't shared your recipes post them below!

#23 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 PM

Easy Apple Pie

4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces

2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces

1/2 cup sugar

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon allspice

pinch of salt

3 tablespoons flour

1 package deep-dish pie crust

2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut in 1/2 pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl combine apples, sugar, lemon juice and spices. Mix well. Add flour and salt, mix thoroughly. Separate the two pie crusts in the package. Fill one apple mixture. Scatter the butter pieces on top. Carefully remove the remaining pie crust from its foil pan and arrange it on top of the filled pie crust. Pinch the edges together. Using a sharp knife, slash the top of the pie a couple of times. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.  Serves 8-10.

#24 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

Here's a recipe I shared in a Mothering holiday dishes article several years ago. Just thought I'd share it again.

Eid is a day of grand celebration for the Muslim world. There are two Eids. The first, known as Eid Al-Fitr, follows the month long fast of Ramadan. The second, Eid Al-Adha, is celebrated on the tenth day of the month of Dhul Hijjah, following the Hajj, or Pilgrimage.

Because the Islamic calendar is based on lunar sightings, the dates of Eid do not fall on the same Gregorian calendar dates. This year the Eid Al-Adha will occur in October. 

There is a wide range of customs and traditions that mark the Eid celebrations in various countries. Though there are public festivities, it is looked upon as a day of family gathering and visiting of neighbors, and of giving charity to those in need. The day starts with a special Eid prayer, either in an open field or in a main mosque. It is usually followed by a celebratory meal at the home of the eldest member of the family. Sweets are served to all guests and one of the most popular in many areas around the Muslim world is Ma’mool.

Ma’mool

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 cup farina
1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
Dash ground cloves
1 cup butter, softened (butter is traditional for the recipe but I prefer coconut oil, which gives it a nice flavor; Earth Balance works good too)
2 Tbs. water
1/4 tsp. rose or orange blossom water
1/4 cup chopped nuts of your choice or dates
1 Tbs. sugar, if using nuts (optional)
Powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
To make the pastry mix the flour, farina, cardamom, nutmeg and cloves. In a large mixer bowl cream the butter. With mixer at low speed add half the flour mixture and combine well. Add remaining flour mixture, sprinkling the water, and the rose or orange blossom water in until dough is well mixed. Cover the dough and chill while you prepare the dates.

If using nuts for the filling, combine the nuts with the 1 Tbs. sugar if desired.

Using a cookie mold, take a ball of the dough, place it into the mold and press into the center to make an indentation. Place a teaspoon of the dates/nuts into the indentation and bring the dough over the dates to cover. Press lightly to seal the dough over the dates. Repeat to form 12 cookies.

Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Note: If you are unable to find farina in your area, simply use 2 ½ cups of flour.

#25 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Sundried Tomato Salad

1 bag of mixed salad greens rinsed and patted dry

1 bag of spinach leaves, rinsed and patted dry

1 8.5 oz. jar sundried tomatoes, cut in 1/2 inch pieces

OR

1 3.5 oz.bag sundried tomatoes, cut in 1/2 inch pieces

3 tablespoons sunflower seeds

1 teaspoon dried dill

2 strips of cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)

1 bottle Italian dressing or favorite vinaigrette 

1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese for garnish

Combine salad greens, spinach, sundried tomatoes, sunflower seeds, dill, and bacon in a large bowl. Toss with dressing to taste. Garnish with cheese. Serves 10.

MrsKoehn likes this.
#26 of 77 Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 PM

One of the great things about being part English is getting to taste an authentic English trifle. I've loved this since I was a kid, and so has everyone else I made it for! It's great for a frugal dessert that not only you, but the kids can enjoy making (omit liquor if serving to children).  It's fun, quick, easy, and doesn't take ages to make! This recipe usually gives meeh about 5-10 servings..depending how big your pieces are.

013-2.jpg

Ingredients

1/2 pound cake in your choice of flavour

1 serving Bird's Custard (or any ready made custard or vanilla pudding)

2 cans fruit cocktail or your choice of freshly sliced fruits

1 package Strawberry or Orange Jell-O

3 to 4 tbsp sweet sherry or Jamaican Rum (for extra kick)

Cool whip or whipped cream

Cut pound cake into medium sized pieces and place in bottom of large trifle bowl or large serving bowl. Place cut pieces and place in bowl add both cans of fruit cocktail on top of pound cake pieces. Pour sherry or Rum on pound cake and let soak while preparing the Jell-O. Once the Jell-O is prepared pour it all over the pound cake and make sure it's all covered. Place trifle in the fridge long enough for Jell-O to set. Prepare custard according to package, and let cool slightly, but not too long or else it will get thick. Pour custard over the entire trifle and let it disperse. Once again, refrigerate until the custard has set. When ready to serve add whipped topping and fresh fruit or almond flakes to garnish. Yum!

MrsKoehn likes this.

Meehrainbow1284.gif (25) and DPrainbow1284.gif (35) Started TTC DS/DD #1Jan12 IUI #1 2/12-BFN, IUI #2 Oct12-BFN. IUI#3-BFN Mar13-BFFN, Jan14- ???--Giving it a go at home this time with KD and fresh swimmersribbonrainbow.gif 

chartnew.gif  www.fertilityfriend.com/home/fee2806

#27 of 77 Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 PM

Homemade granola

Ingredients
3 cups oats
2 cups coconut chips

½ cup chopped dried white raisins
1 cup chopped dried cranberries
1/2 cup coarsely chopped raw walnuts

1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons walnut oil
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon pink salt

Directions
Arrange the racks in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Toss the oats, coconut chips, berries and nuts in a large bowl. Whisk together the brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a second bowl. Stir everything together so it is evenly coated.

Spread in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden and brown, 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheet tray halfway through baking and stirring the granola with a spoon so it will cook evenly. Remove from the oven and put in a large bowl so it will stop cooking. Let cool before serving.

Makes four breakfasts for two adults and two toddlers.

#28 of 77 Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM

Dutch babies

2 eggs

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup milk

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 Tablespoon butter

maple syrup for serving

berries for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Melt butter in an 9 in ch cast iron pan in the oven.

Whisk all ingrediants together in a bowl.  Pour into hot pan.

Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick in the middle will come out clean.

Serve immeadiately topped with syrup and berries.

Feeds two adults and two toddlers or three not very hungry adults.

#29 of 77 Old 09-05-2013, 12:10 AM

Garden Cheese And Nut Trays

Ingredients
olive oil

2 good sized zucchini
1 tablespoon butter, melted

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup coarsely ground almond flour (you can make your own in any blender but I looooove my vitamix for this part).
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees.

Coat a baking sheet with olive oil.

Cut the zucs into 1/4-inch thick round “tray” shaped slices. In one bowl, toss the zucchini trays with the melted butter. In another bowl, mix the Parmesan, almond flour, salt, pepper. Dip each tray into the Parmesan mixture, coating it evenly and press the coating on to make it stick.  Carefully place trays in a single layer on the oiled baking sheet.

Bake the “trays” until browned and crisp, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove with spatula. Serve immediately. 

#30 of 77 Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Gluten-free, dairy-free waffles

2 c. gluten free oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
2 tsp. baking powder
3 eggs
2 tbsp. coconut oil ( or any oil will do)
3 c. of non-dariy milk (rice, soy, coconut will all work)
1 medium ripe banana

Combine oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder in a blender and blend until oats become a flour consistency. In a separate bowl combine eggs, oil, milk and banana. Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Fire up the waffle iron and be sure to oil it well, as these will stick if you don't. Enjoy! Tip for extra fluffy waffles: separate the egg whites from the egg yolks and beat the egg whites until stiff. Add egg yolks to recipe with other wet ingredients. After combining wet and dry ingredients add the stiff egg whites and hand-stir to incorporate, then on to the waffle iron. Enjoy!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating , Food , Baby Food , Traditional Foods , Recipes , Brain Foods For Kids Over 100 Recipes To Boost Your Childs Intelligence , Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food For Kids 150 Family Tested Recipes , Feeding The Whole Family Recipes For Babies Young Children And Their Parents , Contests

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page