I'm going to a Ricecapade! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My group of friends have organized quite a few successful and fun themed food parties. The idea is for each party goer to bring one item that fits in the criteria of the theme. They are all displayed on the table anonymously with a number next to it and then we vote on the one that we each liked best. So far we've had a Guacathon (everybody came with their own take on guacamole) and a Popup Party (everybody brought their own variety of popcorn: cooked in different kinds of oils or animal fats, sprinkled with different kinds of cheeses, bacon bits, yeasts or chocolate nibbles, etc.) 

Our next themed food party is a Ricecapade. So far, someone is making Vietnamese spring rolls, someone else will bring a vegan icecream made with rice milk, someone else is making rice pudding. I haven't decided yet what to cook, and the party is this Sunday... 

Any suggestions or ideas on cool dishes that contain rice? 

I will also try to take photos of all the dishes that everyone brought and post them up here next week... :yum

#2 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Sounds like a fun event. We eat a lot of rice here, probably more than potatoes or other typical sides like couscous or quinoa. 

Sushi - it's the first thing that comes to mind. 

Risotto

Pilaf

Paella 

Or perhaps something with rice noodles like pad thai or a cold noodle salad. 

If you don't want to cook, there are rice candies that would be a nice little party favour. I have a fondness for Botan Ame rice candy from Japan, if you can find them. I don't know if that would be considered "cheating" by your friends. 

Monica S likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Candies would most definitely not be accepted as a valid entry in the competition. :P It would have to be something cooked at home, more or less from scratch. 

But thank you for the suggestions! 

I had in mind this rice pudding boiled in milk and with sour cherry preserves, grated lemon peel and cinnamon powder sprinkled on the top that my grandmother used to make when I was a kid. 

#4 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica S View Post

I had in mind this rice pudding boiled in milk and with sour cherry preserves, grated lemon peel and cinnamon powder sprinkled on the top that my grandmother used to make when I was a kid. 

That sounds delicious. It reminds me of a sweet, creamy lemon risotto that I've made. It's basically a lemon rice pudding. I had forgotten all about that recipe! I should dig it out again soon. 

Monica S likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up making the milk rice pudding!! And here are some party photos, as promised: 

Rice Pudding finishing touches in my kitchen on Sunday at 5pm. Here are the ingredients: arborio rice, milk, lemon zest, raisins, vanilla extract, honey, cinnamon, a bit of brown sugar and sour cherry marmalade. If you want the recipe I'll be happy to post. It's really easy to make, but you just have to babysit it the entire time by stirring to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. 

Rice Dream ice cream cake with crumbled Oreos: 

Below: Rice pilaf with raisins (in the foreground) and mushroom risotto (in the background). 

Below: fried rice cakes. 

These are just some of the things at the party... I forgot to take photos of all the rice salads, rice crispy treats and other delicious dishes. The party was a success and we're thinking the next one will be about potato dishes. 

#6 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

This makes me think: wouldn't it be cool if we had a Mothering challenge of the month dish? Where we pick an ingredient each month and we all cook a dish with that ingredient? It should be something that's more challenging to cook with, or something that kids don't like but it's healthy so they should be eating more of (kale or other veggies), or something boring and mundane that could be made more exciting (like pasta or potatoes)... 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page