Will Coconut Oil help me gain weight? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, 

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and painfully hungry 24 hours a day - it keeps me up at night. I was underweight when I conceived, despite my best efforts. I have many food intolerances (which is how I lost so much weight to begin with) and so I'm *not* looking for general suggestions right now on what to eat. 

However, I do have a question about coconut oil: Supposedly it speeds up your metabolism (which I would think would be bad in this situation?). But it is such an easy way to add fat throughout the day. 

If my goal is to gain weight, will increasing my coconut oil intake help me or harm me?? It also is supposed to help with blood sugar, and I need that - I feel like my blood sugar is all over the place and had a bad glucose result in my last pee test at the midwife's office. 

Help... Thanks.

34 yo mom of boy #1 (Spring 2009), baby #2 is here! (Jan 2014)

2nd generation co-sleeper and extended breastfeeder, grateful to my mom for

letting me witness homebirth as a little girl and giving me confidence in my ability to birth normally.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have heard that coconut oil helps one to burn fat, and DH has been putting it in his smoothies for just that reason, so I would think maybe in your case it isn't a good thing?

#3 of 6 Old 09-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Coconut oil does not increase your metabolism. Your Basal Metabolic Rate is not a function of what you eat, but your body mass, age, height, and other physical factors. 

It is, however, an excellent and healthy way to add calories to your diet, which is what you need to do to gain weight. 

While some might envy the fact that you need to eat MORE calories, it can be difficult to do so in a way that fuels your body and doesn't burden you with unhealthy polyunsaturated fats and sugars. Coconut oil is fantastic in that regard. At 130 calories per tablespoon, it is no different in caloric content than most other oils, but it is packed with good, healthy, saturated fats. 

A tip: there are derivations of coconut oil, such as coconut butter, that you can add to many foods for a healthy, caloric boost. You might want to look into those as well. Note that Virgin Coconut Oil retains the coconut flavour, but regular (non virgin) coconut oil has been filtered to have a neutral flavour.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

I suspect that it will help you normalize your weight. Because most people need to loose rather than gain, for them, normalizing their weight means it goes down, but for you it would help it go up.  Most everything that is written about food and weight in this country is written from the perspective of people trying to loose weight, and I don't think that it would be right for you to assume that just because a food is helpful for those trying to loose weight, it isn't ALSO helpful for you.

Coconut oil, like all fats, is extremely calorie dense. Sense your body needs to store those calories, it will.

The only way to find out for sure is to try it for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Just an update:

After my weeks of slow weight gain on my traditional diet with lots of coconut oil, I gave up on coconut oil. I've been using grassfed cultured butter instead (along with Enzypedia Lacto enzymes) and continuing with the olive oil I eat anyway, and have been gaining weight more easily and also not feeling as crazily hungry as I did before. 

34 yo mom of boy #1 (Spring 2009), baby #2 is here! (Jan 2014)

2nd generation co-sleeper and extended breastfeeder, grateful to my mom for

letting me witness homebirth as a little girl and giving me confidence in my ability to birth normally.

#6 of 6 Old 09-18-2013, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks for the update!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page