Homemade Sweet Potato Puffs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I have a lot of sweet potatoes and I would like to make sweet potato puffs and freeze them, and bake them when we're ready to eat them. I know that I would cut them and freeze them, but do you have any other suggestions?

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Those sound yummy! Do you have a recipe? I'd like to try making them.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 09-21-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

HappyHappyMommy,

I love your username by the way!

No, I don't have a recipe yet. I was hoping to be given one by starting this discussion. I also asked my grandma, though, and she told me to try cutting one up and freezing it and baking it the next day, and if that doesn't work, cutting one up and baking it and freezing it, then baking it again when we're ready to eat it because she thinks the sweet potato puffs we both buy at the grocery store were baked before they were frozen.

Maybe we could both try it and post here about how it went!

Old 09-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post

HappyHappyMommy,

I love your username by the way!

Thank you! :love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catholic Mama View Post
No, I don't have a recipe yet. I was hoping to be given one by starting this discussion. I also asked my grandma, though, and she told me to try cutting one up and freezing it and baking it the next day, and if that doesn't work, cutting one up and baking it and freezing it, then baking it again when we're ready to eat it because she thinks the sweet potato puffs we both buy at the grocery store were baked before they were frozen.

Maybe we could both try it and post here about how it went!

I'd be happy to give it a try as it sounds delicious. What do you think you put on the sweet potato to make it puff? (Sorry if that sounds like a silly question, but I can't figure out the puff part.)

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 09-22-2013, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Not sure exactly what you bought at the store but my first thought is that you probably want to boil and mash them before freezing and then bake them when you are ready to eat. 

There is a recipehere that might be what you are looking for??? http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sweet-potato-puffs/60f22a99-cb7f-4cfd-bf26-a8e468225bfe

Old 09-23-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

HappyHappyMommy, I don't think it's a silly question, but I don't know the answer either.

fruitfulmomma, I bought Alexia brand crispy bite-size sweet potato puffs from the freezer section of the grocery store. They contain sweet potatoes, canola oil, natural cane sugar, cornstarch, rice flour, tapioca starch, tapioca dextrin, sea salt, natural flavor, spice, salad mustard (distilled vinegar, mustard seed, salt, turmeric, paprika), xantham gum, and citric acid. Though they contain cane sugar, they still taste good with ketchup. Thanks anyway for the link but that is sweeter than what I'm looking for - I'm not planning to add much to the sweet potatoes.

I guess the point of freezing the sweet potato chunks that I am going to cut up is so that a minimum of the big bag of sweet potatoes that I bought will go bad.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List