School gone too far?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend called me frustrated the other day. She could understand the healthy snack policy at her son's school. Basically what is dolores is fruits, veggies & no sweets. They'd likely allow Goldfish but have banned specifically chocolate chip granola bars & "fruit snacks". Great. Teach then this break is for good fuel!

BUT someone is also policing lunchboxes...INCONSISTENTLY. The kid is in kindergarten. Lunch is typically a meat/cheese sandwich, a fruit, a veggie & a small treat. He had been told he could not way a honey-oat granola bar free of offending sweet bits & a little pack of 100% fruit juice gummy snacks. But nothing was said when the treat was a cookie.

They called her when she sent a note with a pumpkin muffin explaining that said muffin was homemade with homegrown pumpkin & please stop telling what she can/can't feed own kid.
Has yet to connect with person at school.

Is this going too far?? I see nothing wrong with teaching children treats in moderation by occassionally including a small one in their lunch.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#2 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Allowed..mobile.

lovin DH since 1/04, SAHM to 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#3 of 4 Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

eat not way

#4 of 4 Old 10-01-2013, 11:28 PM

If I were her, I would throw a total fit. As in, not sending passive notes, but walking straight into the principals office and reminding them straight up that I am the parent. Under no circumstances do they get to tell me what I can feed my child or embarrassing them at lunch time. The school is not the boss, the parents are, and sometimes they need to be reminded of that very clearly. 

I remember the school was getting my older brother in trouble for walking home for lunch in junior high (at my parents request) because there were only certain days it was allowed and special permission slips needed to be signed (along the lines of "you will be responsible for your child during lunch hour" - well no shit) and basically a bunch of BS. So my mom went in and got the permission slip, grabbed a Sharpie marker and wrote right over it "MY CHILD COMES HOME FOR LUNCH WHEN I SAY" then signed it and walked out, lol!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page