New Traditional Foods (NT) Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 132 Old 05-09-2004, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I freeze everything in a plastic bag, labeled and dated with a sharpie and I try to use it within the next 10 days to two weeks so it doesn't get freezer burn.

Question: how do you make butter/buttermilk? Do you need raw cream or will pasturized work? The organic cream and milk I've found is "ultrapasteurized" and I haven't found a local source yet for at least raw cream (although I know they are there).
#62 of 132 Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 AM

Regarding chicken broth: I use 3-4 chicken backs that I get from the co-op. They're cheap, freerange and sometimes from organic fed chickens. It's like 69 cents a pound. I boil them for a couple of hours and it makes a very fatty thick gelatin broth. I make all ds food with the broth (he's allergic to everything) since I started doing this his appetite has increased a lot and he is normally the type that won't eat a thing. It seems to me the fattier the broth, the more he will eat of whatever I use it in (soups, rice, etc).

Regarding the sauerkraut: I tried unsuccessfully to make it one time (I didn't have anything to properly pound it down with) but one head of cabbage doesn't make very much. ANother note: at my co-op they sell naturally fermented sauerkraut and it is not very acidic at all. Not like the stuff in the cans we ate as kids (for whoever was concerned about the acidity)

Also, at my co-op (can you tell I love this place?) they sell Kombucha and I tried it and it's pretty good. My dh tells me it is like this stuff they sell in Mexico called "tepache". What is Kombucha and how do I make it? Is it in the SF book?

To whoever make the rejuvelac, how did you like it? My mom made this a lot when we were kids and it has a strange light and lovely taste, do you think so?

gotta go my 2 month old is calling....
#63 of 132 Old 05-10-2004, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For veggie stocks -- I keep a glass jar in the freezer. I usually use the water from steaming veggies, so it's not too much. I let it cool, and add it to the jar. I haven't had any problems. I don't usually bother doing that now, mostly because if I'm just cooking veggies plain, I now cook them in butter instead of water. Yum!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#64 of 132 Old 05-10-2004, 12:21 AM

Oceanmomma...I too the Kombucha. Most of the time my brew is also a combo sweet and sour, tending toward the sour though. Right now I brew two batches at a time in these glass sun tea jars I got at the grocery store for about $6.00 each That lasts about 2 weeks for me and ds, since dh doesn't drink it. I think I'm going to get two more of them strictly for storage in the fridge as they have the spigot on them...Kombucha on tap!

I had my mother over today for Mother's Day and made an NT meal...everyone loved it! It was wonderful to make something so healthy and have everyone love it some much: zuchinni cakes, carrot salad, and brocolli with cheese sauce. Dessert wasn't NT though...strawberry shortcake. I made butter on accident though! Was whipping cream and I didn't think about it not being "whipping" cream....so now I have some homemade butter in the fridge. I may just start doing this on a regular basis now that I see how easy it is.

--April

#65 of 132 Old 05-10-2004, 01:56 AM

hmm, I've never tried freezing in glass jars- I was always afraid of cracking too...

Suseyblue, I think you listed the books in the NT recipes thread on the food/nutrition board- I was scanning it last night- I'm going to buy those books. Wild blueberries - yum. I'm going to try it.

Wow, I think it's time to go ahead and buy the NT book- all the different histories of the food origins on their website are really fascinating.

well, I've got a sick mom and babe here... better go for now. Next week, I start stock!
#66 of 132 Old 05-10-2004, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSeeds
To whoever make the rejuvelac, how did you like it? My mom made this a lot when we were kids and it has a strange light and lovely taste, do you think so?
i think you described the taste very well. it's almost lemonadey and so easy to make.

heartbeat.gif

#67 of 132 Old 05-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Lou

was wondering if there was a nourishing traditions website i could look at to get more info?
thanks ladies-
#68 of 132 Old 05-10-2004, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

just wanted to post, that two toddlers with a potato masher and a large bowl can do a fine job of pounding kraut...
suse
#69 of 132 Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM

Carrie Lou,

I learned most of my info at www.westonaprice.org .
#70 of 132 Old 05-16-2004, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

my beer is purple!!! gonna rack tomorrow. better start drinking; i hope i have enough bottles in a week to start loadin' 'em up, wild blueberry ale sounds so refreshing for summer, don't you think?

i am just so nonplussed when i open it up and it smells and tastes like BEER. amazing. wow, you really don't need hygrometers and gypsum and isinglass and wort chillers etc to make beer- easy peasy!

so purple!!!! 'barney beer', lol.

suse
#71 of 132 Old 05-16-2004, 01:35 PM

LOL, suse......enjoy your barney beer! So, where did you get your wild blueberries??? Did you just use frozen ones? Rebekah....I miss you!!! Where have you been hiding yourself lately??

Still waiting for my Carl's sourdough starter........anyone else waiting too? We're also trying to figure out something to do on a cloudy Sunday here in Tacoma.

tah tah for now...

Lisa
#72 of 132 Old 05-16-2004, 10:11 PM

Brisen, what recipe did you use for the bread that turned out so yummy? I'm going to bake my first ever loaf of bread and I don't want to be disappointed. I have NT, so if it's a recipe in there just point me to the right one.

Thanks!
#73 of 132 Old 05-17-2004, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It was the yeasted buttermilk bread. But I used yogurt instead of buttermilk the first time, and I've also subbed water + 1 Tbsp whey per cup of water for the buttermilk too.

I find, though, that despite how nice the dough feels, it hasn't really been rising well for me, and the bread is moist, but falls apart easily. I'm still experimenting. I'm wondering if I need to let it rise more, I'm so impatient with that part. I want fresh bread now!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#74 of 132 Old 05-17-2004, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, they were on sale at kroger's... yeah, i know, big business, but i'm just glad they are carrying a wider variety of fruit than they used to. no way to grow 'em here anyway.

suse
#75 of 132 Old 05-18-2004, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
Elainie. I remember you saying that your children's bone structure was different since you stopped being vegan. Do you think, if you change their diet early enuf, you can correct their jaw & teeth development? How much of it is hiereditory ? The reason I ask is dd#2 has quite a small jaw & her teeth look like they are going to be very crowded when she gets bigger. She's been drinking raw milk & eating lots of raw butter & fish oil since about November & I am sure her teeth are spacing out & straightening a bit. She is only just 3 so it may not be that at all. She was vegan until she was nearly 2.
(bumping this up so Elainie will see it!)

I don't want to answer for Elainie, but I asked her a similar question a while back, and from what I understand when the body is in a growth phase it will do its best to achieve full potential if all nutrients are available. Jaw size and crowded teeth are not hereditary, they are developmental.

Sorry I've been so quiet lately, I just got back from a 2 week trip and am just getting back into the swing of things!

Kefir is super easy to make, you can find grains here:
http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/kefir/kefirlist.php
or I've heard you can post to the kefir list as well:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Kefir_making/

just dump the grains in milk and let it sit until to your liking.
I still can't get used to the taste though! Maybe I have a bad batch of grains?
#76 of 132 Old 05-18-2004, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou
a
those jars were from thrift shops and really old- i wonder if they made glass jars differently in the days before freezing was commonplace? any experience with that?
Glass is a liquid. Over time it will weaken in spots as it runs. That's why really old windows tend to be thicker at the bottom than the top, btw.

Of course, my new glass jars have broken all over the freezer, too. Sigh. Maybe we should develop a new product line -- some sort of nonplastic freezer container.

Anyway, great thread/great tribe. I just found it. I love lacto-fermenting, but have nothing currently fermenting due to general craziness here. Reading this, though, I'll probably start something tomorrow. I give my parents stuff like sauerkraut and corn relish for Christmas.

Does anyone sprout grains, dry them, then grind for flour? I tried it once, but my little handgrinder couldn't cope.

Oh, btw, 8yo dd was just fitted with a palate-expander (I think the women in our family have a problem metabolizing calcium, but that's another story). I wanted to ask the ortho if diet could help the problem, but figured he would just think I was nuts. I've been giving the kids cod liver oil over the winter (blithely ignoring the threads about the dire threat this poses to their health due to toxins). I'm wondering about giving it in the summer, though, since they get lots of sun -- would it overload them with vit.D?
#77 of 132 Old 05-19-2004, 03:16 AM

Some people don't give their kids as much in the summer b/c of that. Some people don't give their kids any in the summer b/c of that.

Maybe you should just cut down on the amount if you're using butteroil.
#78 of 132 Old 05-19-2004, 11:45 PM

What is the use for flax seed oil? Is it just for use in cold foods and condiments or can it be taken internally like clo? I've only been using it in dressings and the like.
#79 of 132 Old 05-20-2004, 12:44 AM

Dh takes flaxseed oil by the spoonful for the EFAs. He has an entire book on the subject of flaxseed oil somewhere around here.

I've heard that it's better to grind up the flaxseed and eat it, though, since the oil is fresher that way. FWIW, I dump the ground flaxseed on oatmeal, etc. I also put it on granola to assuage my guilt over eating improperly prepared grains .
#80 of 132 Old 05-20-2004, 01:19 AM

Ground flax seed in granola. Now that's a concept for me. Thanks for the idea--I've recently started making my own granola (changing the recipe to more healthful as I can) and I'm glad for the oats but this will make it better. AND it will get some flax seed into dh. What a bargain! Thanks!
#81 of 132 Old 05-23-2004, 01:28 PM

Ocean- I don't think that by simply changing ones diet affects what I see as a constitutional aspect. With my own daughters (who are now 13) they did require braces even after years of dietary change. The children born after
the change have different constitutions. My 8 year old son has a very wide palate and his adult teeth are growing in perfectly.
My two younger children are too small (4 and almost 5 months) but their palate is wider loooking and my four year old has space in between her baby teeth.
One thing that did occur when I changed my older dd's diet was the decay that had occurred (they were vegan until age 3 1/2 even though I was not vegan the whole time I was nursing them as I ate fish once a month or so).
#82 of 132 Old 05-27-2004, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

now, where on earth can i find non-ultra pasteurized cream? (my local farm has been sold out of raw cream & butter for months.) even wild oats is just ultra-pasteurized, & every serious MAINSTREAM cookbook calls for skipping the ultra as a bad product! what gives? this has been driving me crazy for years.

suse
#83 of 132 Old 05-27-2004, 06:20 PM

If you find any please post the source. It all seems to be "ultra".
#84 of 132 Old 05-28-2004, 06:53 PM

Natural by Nature brand has non-ultrapastuerized. I think it's just low heat pastuerized. They have a website http://www.natural-by-nature.com/

I've been trying to get it through my co-op. There is a "stores" icon to click on the left hand margin, which is a store locator for stores that sell their products. Good luck!

April

#85 of 132 Old 05-28-2004, 10:32 PM

If you're willing to pay shipping, you can mail order from:
http://www.organicpastures.com/

Raw, organic, pasture-fed dairy products! I got their butter and it's tasty.
#86 of 132 Old 06-01-2004, 04:37 PM

Hi everyone. I just found out that I'm pregnant! We were planning on "trying" end of this year, but someone else had other plans

So I'm wanting to add roe to my diet as I recall in NT it is supposed to be super healthy for child bearing years, pregnancy, birth, etc. Do any of you eat roe at all? Also, how does the issue of mercury contamination relate to roe?

#87 of 132 Old 06-01-2004, 05:37 PM
RAF

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldshakerz
Hi everyone. I just found out that I'm pregnant! We were planning on "trying" end of this year, but someone else had other plans
Congratulations! What a very lucky baby to have a mom following such a super-nutritious diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldshakerz
So I'm wanting to add roe to my diet as I recall in NT it is supposed to be super healthy for child bearing years, pregnancy, birth, etc. Do any of you eat roe at all? Also, how does the issue of mercury contamination relate to roe?
I have eaten salmon roe before. I just bought whole salmon and used the roe we found inside. Of course, we eat it raw, but I think there are recipes in NT for cooking it. We put it raw in smoothies. It tastes just like egg yolks to me. I guess as far as mercury goes, you have to get the roe from a fish that is lower in mercury, like salmon. Anyway, hope that helps.
#88 of 132 Old 06-01-2004, 08:03 PM

Thanks RAF. I was thinking salmon would be the way to go. That's a good idea too for putting in smoothies. I usually have the NT banana yogurt smoothie and I can just add it in there. Where do you get the whole salmon?

#89 of 132 Old 06-02-2004, 04:55 AM

Cograts WorldShakerz! I'd never even dare taste roe as I would expect it to be too fishy so I am very interested to hear how you find it in your smoothie.

I was actually coming back to ask what you mamas do about dairy or, to be more precise, do if you don't have any. The farm I get my raw milk from is drying their herd off for their 2 month break at the end of the month so I am facing 2 months without any raw dairy. Since I was vegan for years before raw milk & the baby was not good with me eating soy. Not to mention my toddler who drinks bulk milk & cream. She has always been drawn to eating lots of fat. I am getting a bit worried as I have no real experience here. I'm not keen on the idea of pasturised milk - even if it is organic. I've found a limited supply of cultured, organic, pasturised butter so that will have to do there. Any ideas on what we can do to keep us going until we get the milk back. It is the dead of winter here so water is not really a feasible option for drinks.
#90 of 132 Old 06-02-2004, 07:31 PM
RAF

Hello,

I have some experience being dairy, soy and rice free, so if there were no raw dairy around, I would use nut milks and coconut milk. Scott and I used to make coconut milk icecream that was really good. Also, almond milk is really good and easy to make if you have a blender and a strainer. Also, if you don't want to use pasteurized butter, coconut oil/butter or palm oil is a really good option. You need to get a good brand of coconut oil or palm oil, rather than the deodorized, heated stuff you usually find in health food stores. Also if you want to use pasteurized butter, Kerry Gold is good. It is from Ireland from cows on pasture. Anyway, if you are interested in any coconut milk/cream recipes or sources for good coconut products, let me know.

Also, for Worldshakerz, I used to be able to get whole salmon from a local indian reservation, but we moved, and I don't know where to get them from now. It was only like 25 dollars for a huge, wild salmon too.

Tags
Food Items

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page