Uncooked eggs during pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there.

I know that many sources say not to have undercooked or raw eggs during pregnancy, but those are also the same sources that warn against raw milk (which is the only kind i would choose to drink.) I'm just wondering if anyone has input, advice, or research based evidence that raw eggs are dangerous to pregnancy. 

We have our own chickens that are well taken care of. I mainly am asking because i make my own mayonnaise, which uses raw eggs, and want to know if i can continue to consume this during my pregnancy. 

Thank you in advance for your input!

#2 of 3 Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The risk with raw eggs is salmonella poisoning. Pregnant women are not at increased risk of contracting salmonella but, if they get it, it can cause direct foetal harm such as miscarriage or foetal death although this is rare.

The risk of eggs being infected by salmonella is quite low. One source estimated 1:10000 - 1:30000 egs in the US. And, of course, not everyone who is exposed develops an illness.

So, I would say the risk is very low but not non-existent. What you do with that I don't know, I can't even stand to eat soft scrambled eggs lol.gif

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 3 Old 11-13-2013, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since they are home-grown eggs I'd be less concerned about them than store-bought, particularly if you are very diligent about finding and refrigerating them as soon as possible after they were laid. 

In general I just ignore all of the pregnancy "food safety" stuff, because it is mostly fear-mongering with very little evidence to back it up. Yes, there is a small risk of salmonella from eggs. But you also might get E. Coli from store bought spinach, yet no one is telling pregnant women not to eat spinach. 

You'll have to do your own risk analysis of course, keeping in mind that everything has a certain amount of risk - like driving to the grocery store to buy pasteurized eggs is probably significantly more "dangerous" than eating your own raw eggs. It just depends what the benefits are to you (less processed food, saving money, more nutrient dense eggs, enjoyment of your own homemade condiments, etc) vs how risky you perceive it to be. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page