so confused about supplements! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

OK, so i thought i had everything right and on track until DS1, who is 5.5, revealed some cavities.  pretty big ones.  so now im dropping all things chewable and looking into extra calcium for him.  which im not even sure he needs.  but im thinking he must need more minerals in general.  im thinking of starting:

-liquid multi

-liquid calcium/magnesium

-FCLO/BO blend

-d3

but i want everything to be as close to real food as possible and i dont want to give him something he doesnt need etc.  id go see a nutritionist, but im not so sure i agree with thoughts such as dairy is needed for calcium and other mainstream ideas.  

any experience out there?

#2 of 6 Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

It looks like your post may have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share? OP, I hope you find something that works well for your DS.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I have learned that it's not actually calcium you may need but vitamin d. Vitamin d is what you need to absorb calcium. Calcium is naturally in a lot if green veggies. We get vitamin d in sunlight and the best way to get it is from about 15 min a day in the direct sunlight in mid day. So as you see this is not always possible. Especially if you live north. Anyhow they recommend 400iu in a supplement a day. But maybe have his vitamin d checked because he may need more. With that said I do think that teeth is not of those things that are just heredity. I am not good at flossing and sometimes don't brush before bed but have never had a cavity and I know others who are vigilant about their teeth and always have cavities. Well I'm sure diet and sugar have have something to do with it.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 5; DS 1; Baby due Dec 17th
#4 of 6 Old 12-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Animal fats that were raised outdoors are very high in VitD. Bone broths have a nice balance of minerals for dental health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great advice.

#6 of 6 Old 12-14-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the input ladies! I've started back up with nettle infusions and am going to rotate with some other herbs as well. We already eat some grass fed animal products, though not everyday. I truly think the chewable vitamins and his teeth being so close together, along with not flossing, may have caused the cavities. He eats so well, but then again, mom and dad have pretty bad teeth too! I'm still on the search for a new multivitamin for my son that is either liquid or a super small capsule. All from real food or at least close to it. Any suggestions?

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page