Need Help with buying eggs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am considering making a Dobosh Torte for Christmas Dinner - its a layer cake that tastes quite a bit like a giant Milano cookie and is deceptively easy to make....It calls for 3 raw eggs in the frosting.  I am fine with raw eggs for my immediate family - i eat runny eggs pretty much every day ...im not concerned about most of the family members - Except my 90 yr old GIL - she is in pretty decent health - tho frail....i am feeling totally paranoid about serving her "Dobosh Torte with Salmonella Frosting"  - am i being paranoid?  long ago my pediatrician told me - and the Food Channel backed it up...that chickens fed a 'dry mash' feed never harbored Salmonella - that the bacteria grew in the wet mash that many chickens ate.  So choosing "Organic Eggs" was pretty simple - that was 20 years ago.....it seems as if the meaning of teh word 'Organic" has changed a bit - 

is there a raw egg i can trust?  Should i skip this dessert?  Or am i overthinking this completely?  

thanks for any advice!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#2 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I would use pasteurized eggs, just to be on the safe side for GMIL. They're available at the grocery store.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

What kind of frosting?  Often you can heat the egg whites with part of the sugar measure.  You can also use powdered egg white or pasteurized eggs.  The only raw eggs I trust these days are from chickens I raise myself, and even those I would cook them for my daughters and the elderly.  Heating the eggs and sugar up only took a few minutes when I made royal frosting recently. 

Though I'm not sure where the facts are about salmonella and eggs.  I remember a recent study about bacteria from raw chicken.  Commercial birds (Tyson et al.) had some bacteria (Salmonella) at something like 97% of all specimens in the study and even campylobactor at over 50%.  Meanwhile, other brands (Rocky, the organic Rosie chicken's non-organic counterpart) was 0% for any of the bacteria tested for.  So, that makes me wonder if any similar testing has been done  for the egg industry?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i checked the CDC website and they estimate  about 1 egg in every 20,000 is infected.  Even then , salmonella is easily killed with heat.  So its not really ever a HUGE concern....  i guess i worry that heating the frosting will ruin the consistency.....of course i suppose i could try it and then have lots of chocolate frosting lying around! lol -  

i hadnt even heard of pasteurized eggs before - i will look for those  thanks!!

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#5 of 5 Old 12-22-2013, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)

Do make sure that you can heat the frosting.  Most modern cookbooks will offer a pasteurized version of a frosting or other recipe using raw eggs, if it is available.  You can always use pasteurized eggs, or egg white powder if it's just the whites that are called for (usually is).

Salmonella is everywhere.  It most commonly lives in commercial birds, but it is carried by wild animals and rodents, so really any chicken can carry the bacteria.  The wet vs. dry food is probably more creating an environment for salmonella to breed in.  Usually feed contamination is commonly caused by rodents.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page