Correct dose of DHA Chewables/Cod Liver Oil for a healthy vs. sick child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-29-2013, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I've been trying to figure something out, googling like crazy yet not finding what I need to find out.  DD (4) takes [Garden of Life] DHA Chewables (Cod Liver Oil).  It says on the label she should have 4 softgels daily.  She used to take Carlsons D3 Drops and was never sick (breastfed as well though).  Is there a chance she's not getting enough D3 from these at all (seems to be getting sick more now for no reason and it's been about a year since she weaned)?  I can't find out if I should give her more (and how much more) when she is fighting something or even on a regular basis. 

The four softgels have:

1-2 IU of Vit D (= <1% of daily value),

210-330 IU of Vit A (= 4-7% daily value) and

11 IU of Vit E (= 36% of daily value).

...but....because the vitamins are naturallyy occurring as opposed to synthetic D3....what is the correct dosage (meaning we should be taking more Vit C than generally recommended)?  If the daily value is so incredibly low, should I consider giving her more?  How much more?  I also gave her Carlson's Drops today as well (she seems to have a cold that's not going away). Obviously I don't want to harm her by giving her too much of either.  But why is there so little Vit D?  Or is it supposed to be given mainly for the DHA and not for the D3?  Can I (should I) mix it with Carlsons drop?

Can someone shed some light on this please?  Thanks!  

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-05-2014, 05:42 PM

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
It seems to be they have virtually no vitamin d.

DH 31; Me 30; DD 6; DS 1; Baby boy due Dec 17th

#3 of 4 Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly. I wonder why is the daily dose so incredibly low? I understand it is the case with other supplements as well, but THAT MUCH lower? And I thought she was getting enough... Oh well I'm upping her dose and when we use up all of the bottles I got she will be getting the oil on a spoon like we do.

I wonder how much are other mamas giving to their children(?).

Mom to dd born Dec 2009 hearts.gif, our little troublemaker hide.gif . cd.gif hang.gif fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gif

#4 of 4 Old 01-17-2014, 02:18 PM

My ND recently recommended 2000IU for my 2yo and 5yo, though we live in Seattle so not much natural sunlight.

Cod liver oil without added Vitamin D, as you note, has hardly any vitamin D.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page