All time best soup/ stew/ stewish recipes! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-10-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We have been eating tons of soups and stews lately, the COLDAGEDDON has taken over here and we are craving easy hot meals. I have been doing a basic chili, basic soup, basic stew, I would love new recipes.

Hit me with your best recipes!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Here's one of my favorites:

Vegetable Lentil Stew

1 large onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic cloves, minced

2 pounds fresh vegetables of your choice, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted

1 15-ounce can cooked lentils (or 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils and cooking liquid)

4 cups broth of your choice

1 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)

1/2 teaspoon hot smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed very well

2/3 cup pumpkin (canned or cooked and water pressed out)

salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Sautee onion in a heavy pot large enough for your stew ingredients. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the vegetables, tomatoes, lentils, broth, and the spices and cook until vegetables are tender.  Add the quinoa, reduce to medium-low heat and cook till tender (15 -20 minutes) Add the pumpkin and season with salt and pepper.  Cook for 5-10 minutes.

ian'smommaya likes this.

#3 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our kids like any kind of chili. I can't say I use a recipe; I just throw in what strikes me. Usually it's a pound of browned ground beef or ground turkey 28oz can diced tomatoes, 15oz can kidney beans, 15oz can garbanzo beans, 15oz can corn (they get annoyed when I don't have corn in it). I add chili powder, red pepper flakes and a little cayenne pepper and cook it in our slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 hours.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I love this lamb stew https://www.google.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.exclusivelyfood.com.au%2F2008%2F08%2Flamb-stew-recipe.html%3Fm%3D1&newwindow=1

And also Pioneer Woman's Sunday Night Stew but, if you're already doing a beef stew it's probably the same sort of thing. I also like her chicken and dumplings.

I do a chicken dish which is good with rice

500g chopped chicken thighs
400g tin tomatoes x2
1 cup tomato paste (I use the little tubs, not sure of exact amount. Doesn't really matter)
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt

Fry onions, garlic and chicken in some oil until chicken lightly browned. Add tomatoes. Cover pot and simmer for 2hrs, stirring occasionally. Add sugar, vinegar and salt to taste. Serve with rice. Freezes well.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#5 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Oh, speaking of chicken with dumplings... My favorite dead of winter dish was made for me by a cowboy in Humboldt County. Super fatty chicken soup - lots of broth and then baked in a shallow soup pot with butter milk biscuits floating on the top. The biscuits soak up the fatty broth and are flaky brown on top and dumpling like on the bottom. So yummy!  

My most recent success was FINALLY getting around to caramelizing onions in the crock pot. Put thinly sliced white (storage) onions and some butter in a crock pot on high. Cook with the lid off for like 4-6 hours until really, really brown. Stirring occasionally (but you CAN leave them for couple of hours). Pour a bunch of sherry on them when they're done and let that reduce down. Cover and let them really caramelize for another hour or two. They will be good just like that or you can add beef & chicken stock and make onion soup. Top with bread and Gruyere cheese and broil for a bit. Oh, my gosh, so yummy!  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#6 of 15 Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Oh, speaking of chicken with dumplings... My favorite dead of winter dish was made for me by a cowboy in Humboldt County. Super fatty chicken soup - lots of broth and then baked in a shallow soup pot with butter milk biscuits floating on the top. The biscuits soak up the fatty broth and are flaky brown on top and dumpling like on the bottom. So yummy!  

My most recent success was FINALLY getting around to caramelizing onions in the crock pot. Put thinly sliced white (storage) onions and some butter in a crock pot on high. Cook with the lid off for like 4-6 hours until really, really brown. Stirring occasionally (but you CAN leave them for couple of hours). Pour a bunch of sherry on them when they're done and let that reduce down. Cover and let them really caramelize for another hour or two. They will be good just like that or you can add beef & chicken stock and make onion soup. Top with bread and Gruyere cheese and broil for a bit. Oh, my gosh, so yummy!  

Wow, that sounds great. We don't have a slow cooker but my DH does caramelised onion recipe. I like it with sausages or on bread rolls with cream cheese.

#7 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Wow, that sounds great. We don't have a slow cooker but my DH does caramelised onion recipe. I like it with sausages or on bread rolls with cream cheese.

Crock pots/slow cookers have made a big comeback in the States in recent years. I have one (two actually) because we got to a lot of pot-lucks and have a lot of parties that require us to feed a lot of people w/o a bit effort during the event. Crock pots cost like $30 bucks!  If you have the storage, I recommend one. 

I know IM was looking for stew recipes but now I've got crock pot on the brain...ha!  

Another favorite use of my crock pot is pulled pork. I plop a big pork shoulder in the crock pot. Cover with salt, pepper, cumin, some garlic powder and molasses and heat on high for a long while. I don't like mine cooked to death (I like it to hold it's form in cubes).  When we're ready to eat, I cube the pork and toss under the broiler with a little fat from the pot -- easy carnitas. 

IM, my favorite stew (that I haven't made in ages, come to think of it) is a turkey tomato stew that I had first in Southern Italy. Boneless Turkey breast is a bit hard to come by here though. But, if you find some (freezer section, maybe) it's a yummy and different dish. As recall the recipe goes something like cubed turkey, breaded and browned in a pan. Cook in a dutch oven with onions, celery, a bit of garlic, and blended tomatoes. Simmer till done. Serve over polenta (or just with bread). 

Also, my SIL taught me a good cheat for tortilla soup, which is to add a pack of taco seasoning. Not super natural but it makes the soup super brainless, which I appreciate from time to time. The nice thing about this soup is that it doesn't require any pre-sauteing to get a good flavor. Toss shredded chicken (I like to use a rotisserie), bells, onion, some canned whole tomatoes and taco seasoning in a pot. Cook for a while. Serve over rice with garnishes like cilantro, sour cream, cheddar cheese, avocado. 

#8 of 15 Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post

Our kids like any kind of chili. I can't say I use a recipe; I just throw in what strikes me. Usually it's a pound of browned ground beef or ground turkey 28oz can diced tomatoes, 15oz can kidney beans, 15oz can garbanzo beans, 15oz can corn (they get annoyed when I don't have corn in it). I add chili powder, red pepper flakes and a little cayenne pepper and cook it in our slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 hours.

I had a great white chili recipe but have lost it. I'll see if I can find it online. It ws delicious!!

#9 of 15 Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Administrator

I can't find the white chili recipe but I did find one that is a family favorite. 

Vegetable Stew with Couscous

• 1tablespoon  ground cumin
  • 1teaspoon  ground coriander
  • 1teaspoon  curry powder
  • 1/4teaspoon  ground allspice
  • 1/4teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 3/4teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4teaspoon  freshly ground pepper
  • 1 1/4cups  water
  • 3tablespoons  olive oil
  • 1/2cup  chopped onion
  • 1tablespoon  chopped garlic
  • 1tablespoon  chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 2zucchini, diced
  • 1cup  green beans, cut into 1/2-inch diagonal pieces
  • 1cup  canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1cup  diced fresh tomatoes
  •  

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, cilantro and spices together for 1 minute, or until onion is soft.

Add the vegetables and cook for few minutes. Add 1 1/4 cups of water and bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and cookuntil vegetables are done.

Add the chickpeas and tomatoes;and cook 5 minutes more. Serve with couscous. 

ian'smommaya likes this.

#10 of 15 Old 01-16-2014, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Garbanzo bean chicken chili
I just made this tonight and I make it all the time....super easy
4 cups of chicken broth
1can of garbanzo beans( I cook my own but canned is not much different)
1 can of stewed tomatoes chopped
1 cup of cooked short grain brown rice
2 chicken breast ( chopped and cooked) ( my husband likes it when I use ground chicken better)
1 onion
1/2 bell pepper
2 celery stalks
4 garlic cloves
2 t cumin
2 t coriander
1 t of cayenne pepper( I like this a bit spicy)
1 t salt or a dash more( I like salt too)
1 t ancho chili powder
Bunch of cilantro
Sautéed spices with onions and chopped cilantro and other veggies( sometimes I add corn)
Add tomatoes rice and corn then dd broth ,chicken and cooked rice!
There you have it!
I like to top the bowls with olives and sharp cheddar and we eat it with tortilla chips!
ian'smommaya likes this.
#11 of 15 Old 01-17-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

This.

I am going to try this recipe

• 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil

• 8 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced

• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped

• 4 cups chopped raw kale

• 4 cups home made broth. I make mine with astralagus root for immune building and a tad of vinegar to get the marrow out of the bones.

• 3-4 cups prepared beans. I am using navy.

• 1 can tomatoes

• 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning

• Salt and pepper to taste

• Leftover chicken (thigh meat probably)

In a large pot, heat olive oil. Add garlic and onion; saute until soft. Add kale and saute, stirring, until wilted. Add 3 cups of broth, 2 cups of beans, and all of the tomato, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. In a blender or food processor, mix the remaining beans and broth until smooth. Add chicken meat. Stir into soup to thicken. Simmer 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls.

I'll let you know how it goes over. I think it sounds sooooo good! I might next time add rice and skip the chicken.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#12 of 15 Old 01-17-2014, 03:10 PM

I make chili too -- and even won and award for "best flavor". :love  I use ground meat: beef, turkey, sausage. Browned really well in small batches. Then cook a big variety of green colored peppers (the more variety the better) and at least a whole storage onion. I use whatever chili power I have on hand (I tried grinding my own and didn't notice a better flavor) and add that to each batch of meat and vegetables I'm browning. No beans for us unless I mash some canned red beans (not my favorite). I like a tomato chili and think the key is in really good tomatoes, which I process and freeze every August. I buy non-paste tomatoes so they can be a bit thin for sauce but they're great, perfect in stews. 

#13 of 15 Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Crock pots/slow cookers have made a big comeback in the States in recent years. I have one (two actually) because we got to a lot of pot-lucks and have a lot of parties that require us to feed a lot of people w/o a bit effort during the event. Crock pots cost like $30 bucks!  If you have the storage, I recommend one. 

I know IM was looking for stew recipes but now I've got crock pot on the brain...ha!  

Another favorite use of my crock pot is pulled pork. I plop a big pork shoulder in the crock pot. Cover with salt, pepper, cumin, some garlic powder and molasses and heat on high for a long while. I don't like mine cooked to death (I like it to hold it's form in cubes).  When we're ready to eat, I cube the pork and toss under the broiler with a little fat from the pot -- easy carnitas. 

They've taken off a bit over here too. I have thought about one but DH is vegetarian and I wasn't sure how many vegetarian recipes there were.

I'm not a huge fan of pork but I love this pulled lamb recipe. I have done it with the pomegranate juice, with apricot nectar and so just rubbed with a bit of olive oil. The roast carrot and chick pea salad at the bottom of the page is also very good. I do a mixture of carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2837673/pulled-lamb-shoulder-with-sticky-pomegranate-glaze
IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

#14 of 15 Old 01-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

My favorite stew and soup recipes are from the book Soups and Sides by Catherine Walthers. From this book, I particularly like her Beef Stew recipe, her Chicken Tortilla soup recipe, and her cheddar dill biscuits. I'm getting hungry just thinking these recipes!

IdentityCrisisMama likes this.

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#15 of 15 Old 01-19-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Cheddar biscuits! Omg. I want! I have the flu, so I need something yummy and comforting. I have homemade stock, it is excellent if I do say so myself. I am gonna to try cheddar biscuits and the kale soup recipe I posted above. Yum!

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page