Teflon Free Rice Cooker - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm in "need" of a new rice cooker but would also like to minimize my appliances that I have. I'm considering getting a huge rice cooker to replace my old one and my croc pot; however, it looks like all the ones a google search provides me with are either teflon coated for $100+! Any suggestions? 

#2 of 8 Old 02-12-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Also, how worried should I be about teflon in a rice cooker? Most things I read say that most of the toxicity is from high temps, which I do not believe this appliance comes close to that...

#3 of 8 Old 03-08-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

If you're worried about the teflon getting into your rice you might want to consider that US rice can be high in arsenic and imported rice can be high in lead. We do not eat rice at home and only eat it when we are out if it is one of the few options available to us.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 8 Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Though white rice has less arsenic and I always believe every thing in moderation. Quinoa is a great option that can be cooked in a rice cooker bit only takes 15 to cook it on the stove.
#5 of 8 Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 AM

We have a microwave rice cooker w/ a ceramic inset.

I think one can also buy electronic rice cookers w/ ceramic inner-parts instead of the standard metal.

#6 of 8 Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 AM

I bought this one recently and have been happy with it.  It's about $50. It has a stainless steel bowl and a glass top.  I've found that the rice sticks a bit on the very bottom, but I just see that as the trade I need to make to eliminate the teflon.  If I put some water in to soak before I wash it, the stuck rice comes out easily.  

http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen/appliances/ARC-757SG.html 

#7 of 8 Old 08-10-2014, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wink multicooker vs rice cooker

Maybe you choose multicooker? I bought REDMOND 4502 – it is fast, clever (can work in 34 programmes), and what is important it for me – it can cook baby food! Now money isn’t wasted on such items. What is more – it can cook rice too.
#8 of 8 Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayBee View Post
Maybe you choose multicooker? I bought REDMOND 4502 – it is fast, clever (can work in 34 programmes), and what is important it for me – it can cook baby food! Now money isn’t wasted on such items. What is more – it can cook rice too.
Hello, first time i saw multicooker in the house of my friend. He is single, live alone, so this thing is better for him). I have a family, but i thought it could be great to have the same multicooker in our house. My friend cooked pasta in this thing, when we've visited him. It was yummy enouph and he did nothing! Just take the water and then the pasta and salt inside. Thats all!
I decide to buy the the same multicoker, but I prefer to save my money, thats why i find multicooker Redmond in the internet shop, in one like that http://at.multicooker.com/. And I am happy in the kitchen with this thing now, its easy to cook a lot of dishes, even some soups.
If you have any question, you can ask me.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page