Newbie crockpot question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I don't use my crockpot much, but right now I'm making chili (on the stovetop, not in my crockpot) to bring to a school function tomorrow.

Can I pour the cooked and cooled chili into the crockpot insert, refrigerate it, and reheat it in the crockpot tomorrow morning? Are there issues with the insert cracking if it's fridge-cold when you place it in the warmer?

Also, how much time should I allow for getting it back up to serving temp in the morning, and at what setting? Thanks!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#2 of 3 Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know this is too late at this point, but I do that all the time - pull it out of the fridge and reheat on the "low" setting.

#3 of 3 Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post

Can I pour the cooked and cooled chili into the crockpot insert, refrigerate it, and reheat it in the crockpot tomorrow morning? Are there issues with the insert cracking if it's fridge-cold when you place it in the warmer?

Both my real Crock Pot and my cheapie slow cooker say in the manual that cracks due to this practice void the warranty.

That said, my real Crock Pot cracked after being on low for like 12 hours.  They sent me a new one and it, too, cracked while making bone broth.  I'm on my 3rd one now and I wouldn't risk the temperature shock thing with it.  YMMV.

Bring back the old MDC

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page