Breastmilk and kefir - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2014, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this is the correct place for the question. Someone recently gave me some milk kefir grains, specifically for my (almost) 9 month old who has been sick with infection after infection in the past few months. While I plan on drinking it too, he goes to daycare during the day and I was wondering if I could put a little of the milk kefir in his bottle(s) of breast milk that I send to daycare. One consideration is that I usually make his bottles the night before so that my husband, who takes him in the morning, doesn't have to worry about the fresh/frozen rotation. If I added the kefir to his morning bottle, it would be in there for approximately 12 hours in the refrigerator before he drinks it. Do you think that would hurt the breast milk in any way? Sometimes it will be frozen, and sometimes it will be fresh milk. At home he only nurses, and while I plan on drinking it myself, I was looking for a way to more directly ingest the kefir himself. I've heard of making smoothies but I don't see myself giving him those since he's not great with a sippy cup yet and he doesn't take bottles from me. We also do blw so no baby food. Please help me figure out how to use this kefir. smile.gif

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Hmm, keifer is on the sour side. I wonder if he would still drink the bottle since it will probably make the breast milk taste different. Maybe just put it in one to make sure he will take it.
I'm not an expert on pumping and all that but I don't think it should hurt by letting it sit with breast milk over night, as long as it stays refrigerated.
One question, when the bottle it heated, won't that destroy or reduce the effectiveness of thr kiefer?

ETA- maybe you should cross post in BFing

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 03-10-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't *think* heating it would damage the kefir, as heating it doesn't damage all the goodies that are naturally found in breastmilk. They simply put the bottle in warm water, not in a microwave. My milk is high in lipase so my frozen milk tastes a little different anyway, and he takes that with no problem, so I bet he'd be ok. I'll start with just a little bit in his morning bottle to see what happens.

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List