What do you cook from scratch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do a ton from scratch. Stock, both veg and meat, plus all the usual. I tried bread but even after many many many tries it never came out as good as the artisan bread I can buy. My stock is delish so I compromise on the bread.

Any really good ideas for made from scratch you do?

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#2 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not sure if I do everything completely from scratch.  I haven't made bread in awhile, but I do like it when I make it.  I don't make pasta from scratch either, although I'm tempted to try it.  I do like making stock from scratch, however. 

I need a good recipe for refried beans, though, because I like making bean burritos, but I don't seem to ever do the same thing twice, and it would be nice to have something good.

#3 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Gravy

Many soups

Most veg & meat dishes

Lentils

Taboulleh

Salads in general

#4 of 5 Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I go through phases where I do more or less from scratch. Sometimes it really is everything - bread, yogurt, granola, doughnuts, potato chips,...whatever I want to eat pretty much. The rest of the time I'm lazy (or busy) so I buy bread, tomato sauce and yogurt. Oh, and cheese. But I still make stock regularly, cereal, baked goods, and pretty much every meal.
I would like to make pasta, but I don't have the right equipment. I enjoyed making it as a child.

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 5 Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Hmm. Regularly? Chicken stock, bread (including pizza bases, raisin bread, burger buns, foccacia, fougasse, you name it), gravy, custard, sauerkraut, pastry (including puff pastry) and sponge cake for any purpose (ie, even if it's for a trifle.) I usually cook my own dried beans or lentils rather than using canned. I make my own pizza sauce, but it has tomato paste in it - does that count? Oh, and I make my own ice cream - haven't bought ice cream in years! With an ice cream maker and a good recipe, the homemade stuff is so much better. Well, better than the cheap stuff we were previously buying, at any rate. :p

In the past I've made jelly from scratch; I've also occasionally, experimentally dabbled with cream cheese, jam, fresh pasta, butter and ginger beer, but I have no intention of taking those up on a regular basis. :p I make my own basil pesto when I have enough fresh basil, but I'm a terrible gardener so that's rare!

I do buy won ton wrappers and peanut butter (the homogenised, commercial stuff, even - I mostly use it in baking, and the 'natural'-type stuff doesn't work so well for that). Also ravioli on rare occasions (DH doesn't like it.) I also keep custard powder on hand, but NOT for custard - just for one specific cupcake recipe I have. :p And oddly enough, I'm snobbish about boiling up my own sweetened condensed milk into dulce de leche rather than buying the pre-caramelised stuff, but I have zero desire to make the sweetened condensed milk itself in the first place. Though come to think of it, maybe that's all because the only brand of pre-caramelised stuff you can get here is Nestle, which I boycott? 

Anyway, don't let it cause you angst. Making stuff from scratch is great if you have the time and inclination, but it's not worth stressing yourself out over. I *could* learn to master non-rubbery jam and have the warm glow of a pantry of well-filled shelves with gingham squares on the jars... but ehh. I don't really want to, it'd almost certainly cost more than buying jam, and it's really easy to find commercial jam that's additive-free and as low-sugar as your average homemade recipe. So I don't let it make me feel like a Bad Mother. Ditto buying cans of chopped tomatoes and sweetcorn. And Bundaberg, which not only won't explode in your garage, but doesn't taste like dishwater...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page