An alternative to UNFI? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone know of an alternative to UNFI?

I've looked at Frontier but they do not offer many of the items my group purchases.  (like kombucha, cheese, etc.)

I am really irritated with UNFI and would love to find another source.  I've purchased from UNFI for ten years and realize a lot of the products are now more widely available at grocery stores, vitacost, and Costco and UNFI's prices are not as good as they used to be.  But some things are less expensive at UNFI and I like getting everything at one place once a month; then I only need to pick up produce and eggs.

I am irritated because UNFI made pricing errors on their website back in March. They sent an email about the issue so I called their customer service dept. twice to make sure our cart prices were accurate before submitting our order; they assured me they were. But now they've retro-actively increased the prices and sent me an invoice - a month after we picked up and paid for our orders!  We are paying for UNFI's mistakes.

We wouldn't have ordered the items if they were more expensive. Every time I open my pantry or freezer I get irritated. Heck, I only bought an entire case of tamari, and other items, because it was on sale...or so I thought.

Plus, I do not like how they have thrown their employees under the bus. The staff has to deal with the angry calls but has no authority to do anything. The department managers are not picking up the phones or answering voice mails. I guess UNFI treats their employees as poorly as they treat their customers.

So, if you got through my rant, have any suggestions for a different buying option?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-26-2014, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Wow, that is incredibly frustrating.  I don't know how they can get away with that, honestly. I don't know much about natural food wholesalers, but I know some people around here use Azure Standard in addition to UNFI.

#3 of 3 Old 04-26-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

Wow, that is incredibly frustrating.  

It was very frustrating.  They told me there were groups that were charged an additional $800!!  

They ended up reversing my group's charge.  I do not know if they reversed the retroactive charge for all the groups or only those who didn't pay and complained.

I am going to look into Azure Standard.  Thank you for the suggestion.

update...Now they've called me again and said they reversed the additional charge from March but then found other mistakes and are adding another charge from march.  This is nuts!  I looked into Azure - thanks for the suggestion.  They look great (except their high delivery fee of 8.5% of the order).

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating

User Tag List