Is it bad to give your children Cheese??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2004, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My children love cheese and I give it to them when they want it. My dh keeps telling me not to give them cheese because it is bad for them. I keep arguing with him saying noit isn't, "Where are you getting your info"? : He keeps saying "its just bad for them".

So what do you think, Is it bad? I mean anything excessive is bad but this isn't the case here. I don't know what to think! I tell him "how can it be bad, its a source of calcium". this argument is continuous because I keep giving them cheese.

I don't know, is it?

Steff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2004, 06:33 PM

HUH? Tell him he needs to be more specific about what is "bad". Is he worried about cholesterol? Hormones? Fat? Once he can identify what he is worried about, we can talk. But no, I don't think it is "bad" to give kids cheese.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:35 PM

I don't see how it could be (unless abused) : It's a dairy product and it has calcium... I guess the only stuff that would be "bad" is the processed stuff that's not really cheese IMO anyways...

Cam would rip my head off if I tried to take cheese away from him - it's his favorite food in the world!!!! He's especially fond of cheddar - he can be balling his eyes out over something and if I give him a piece of cheese he'll instantly stop :LOL

Karen

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:29 PM

hi steff,
Dairy products are not something that I or my daughter have in our diet because of what I have learned about them since having her...it is scary to me how dairy has been pushed onto people and the reality is that they have a very negative impact on your body.

here is an article about eating dairy that gives an honest look at consuming dairy, something you would never get from the dairy industry or the government who also pushes dairy on us.

http://www.**********/general26/milk.htm

dust.gif
Old 04-29-2004, 07:39 PM

I guess it would be bad if that was ALL your child ate, but not in moderation like everything else. My DS went through a stage of refusing any food but cheese. And I was just happy that he was eating SOMETHING.

It also depends on what kind of cheese you are talking about. Some are high in sodium or cholesterol. And some super processed cheeses remind me of sheets of plastic, so I don't think that kind of cheese could be that great for you.

I guess you can make a valid debate about cheese and dairy, no matter which side you are on though.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:27 PM

I don't think milk or dairy is the cause of unhealthy Americans. We can blame that on processed foods, artificial sweeteners and sugar. Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar does. Cheese and milk are GREAT for kids - better than teddy grahams and tang by far!
Old 04-30-2004, 01:39 AM

I would like to add some things which I should have put in my original post on this thread.

Most dairy that is being pushed on us out there is not good for many reasons, it is pasturized which means it is cooked and that makes it very mucous forming and kills any living enzymes that are present in it.

Cows are being shot full of growth hormones which get into the body...anyone see any link between the serious numbers of overwieght children and the dairy consumption? I know its not all caused by dairy, kids are eating lots of growth hormone meat, refined sugary foods, hydrogenated oils, preservatives and all kinds of other scary stuff. And there is a difference between bad fat and good fat...bad fat will make ya fat...btw...I agree, milk is great for kids, mamas milk or nut milks but isnt it logical that cows milk is for baby cows and human milk for baby humans (and artificial growth hormones arent for any of us)??

I wonder, if milk has so much calcium in it than why is it that we have so many people with osteoporosis, being prescribed a calcium supplement? I would'nt be surprised to find there is more calcium in a carrot than a gallon of milk!

Chedder Cheese is not yellow naturally, it is dyed and dye is not a healthy and natural thing to be eating...and neither is the table salt in most cheese for that matter...it takes a very discriminating eye these days to avoid all the bad food out there because it is everywhere.

Small/moderate amounts of *raw*organic* dairy preferably goat or sheep in the diet can be okay even beneficial but 99% of the diary out there is neither raw or organic. There are so many yummy dairy replacements that make it very easy for dd and I to leave it out. Making fresh nut milks, seed cheese and yogurt at home is easy and so much better than cows milk, of course that is my opinion.

The proof of the effect your chosen diet is having on you and your children is in your health and well being and that is all the proof you should need to deciede what works best for you.

dust.gif
Old 04-30-2004, 09:19 AM

I would be very surprised to learn that a carrot has more calcium in it than a glass of milk. Now, if you want to compare a bunch of spinach, then we're talking.

Salt is not an unhealthy substance unless you're sensitive to it, in which case you should limit your consumption. Most people have no trouble consuming pretty much any amount of salt. The idea that high salt consumption gives everyone high blood pressure is outdated and has been proven false.

And finally, no, I don't see a link between dairy consumption and overweight kids. Kids have been drinking cow's milk for a long, long time in this country, but only in the last 20-30 years or so has there been a big problem with overweight children.

There are lots of good and valid reasons that a person might want to avoid dairy or other animal products. I am definitely not disputing that, or trying to say that they're the healthiest choice you could make. But I do see a lot of claims made about dairy products that seem a little unfounded to me.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:41 AM

I agree totally with Jan B. We can blame the processed foods and refined sugars for our fat kids these days. I was born in 1971 and milk was my beverage of choice - I never wanted juice. My brother always wanted orange juice and drank lots and lots of it, and guess who was the "husky" kid? My brother, thanks to all the sugar in the juice. My son LOVES milk and always asks for that if I give him a choice between that and juice. He's healthy, smart and strong. The only time he avoided it was when we were in Mexico and he didn't like the taste of it there. He just drank water. People have been milking cows and drinking milk, making butter and cheese for centuries, and it has just been recently that we have this SURGE of obesity. Its not the dairy. Yes, of course, organic is better. I agree with that. I know for a fact that my son would not like soy milk's taste as much as cow's milk - I don't like it as much either!
Old 05-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm brand new at MDC, but wanted to add my 2 cents. Dr. Jay Gordon has an interesting FAQ on cheese:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/nutrition...d/danger03.htm
Old 05-02-2004, 07:39 PM
spu

Can dairy also cause a skin rash if the baby is sensitive to it?

We've already eliminated eggs and strawberries, which helped, but when I started making Charlotte smoothies with milk, yogurt, and fruit, her rash came back. No red ring around her tushie, just a skin rash on her torso and legs - almost like chicken skin or goosebumps that wont go away.

susan

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

I had my husband read these replies and evertime there was a thread against cheese he was like "SEE" "SEE" LOL When it was pro cheese he was silent. LOL

Thanks everyone for you input appreciate it!!!

Steff
Old 05-03-2004, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spu
Can dairy also cause a skin rash if the baby is sensitive to it?

We've already eliminated eggs and strawberries, which helped, but when I started making Charlotte smoothies with milk, yogurt, and fruit, her rash came back. No red ring around her tushie, just a skin rash on her torso and legs - almost like chicken skin or goosebumps that wont go away.

susan
Yes, dairy is a very common allergy in little ones Both of my kids are allergic to it.

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Old 05-03-2004, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just want to agree with Rainydaywoman about cheese and dairy. The way it is made now isn't healthy. There is PLENTY of calcium in other sources: almonds, sunflower seeds, garbanzo beanc, black beans, pinto beans, kale, collard greens, tofu, etc.

There's lots of books available on the subject, but for a simple, fun read check out Susan Powters book "Food", there is a section on milk, and all her stuff is very referenced. Saves some legwork, lol!

Kristi

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 AM

Little time, a few words:

Organic, raw milk, moderation
Old 05-04-2004, 01:15 AM

That was almost a haiku.

Sometimes we differ
On whether to give dairy
Jasmine blossoms fall
Old 05-04-2004, 02:25 AM

Dr. Spock and Dr. Sears say that animal milk is for animals and not humans! There has got to be a reason.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:53 AM

"Dr. Spock and Dr. Sears say that animal milk is for animals and not humans! There has got to be a reason."

But I dont think Sears is against dairy - just milk. He approves of yoghurt and cheese as far as I recall.

Dont know about Spock, have never read him.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:03 AM

wow no clue! we don't do alot of dairy but my gals love string cheese (organic).they also love it when i take yogurt and freeze it,i also add some flax oil without them knowing!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:44 AM

I think most people think cheese is bad because it is high in fat. But for young children, it is necessary for them to get a lot of fat for brain development. FOr toddlers, fat is a good thing-- rather, it is better to avoid empty calories like juice or other sugary snacks.

I don't think cheese makes children overweight-- I think juice, french fries, and sitting in front of the TV all day makes kids overweight.

I am huge consumer of cheese. It is how I get most of my protein and calcium. I love it. ANd so do kids.

Yep, probably better for you and your kids to eat organic, but if you have to choose organic foods due to cost, I would choose organic thin-skinned fruits and veggies over cheese. Fewer hormones get through in milk than pesticides get into fresh veggies.

My kid eats tons of cheese-- of course, we live in France, so he gets lots of cheeses, even the stinky kinds. ANything but Kraft singles and velveete and cheeze whiz I think if good for kids.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 AM
spu

Isn't that amazing that Dr. Spock actually approves breastfeeding? I have his old old old book from when my mom was a new mom, and some of the things in there are soooo funny! The section on twins is a hoot. It says to have "the husband" construct a little wooden divider to put in the crib to keep them separated.

susan

twins 7.02 ⢠DS 10.06 ⢠OMG #4 1.08 ⢠ebf + tandem nursing!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM

About Dr. Sears:

He's definitely OK with cheese, yogurt, etc:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030500.asp

Cheese at 9-12 months, actually!
Old 05-04-2004, 10:49 AM

I don't think it's bad if given in moderation. We don't drink milk, but we do use cheese.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB
I would be very surprised to learn that a carrot has more calcium in it than a glass of milk. Now, if you want to compare a bunch of spinach, then we're talking.

I don't know if anyone has replied to this yet, but, there's no way a carrot has more calcium than a glass of milk. A GLASS of straight carrot juice has about 24 milligrams of calcium. A serving of spinach has 122 milligrams. A glass of milk is about 300 milligrams. Not that I think milk would be a good choice.:LOL

http://www.nichd.nih.gov/milk/whycal/sources.cfm

http://www.notmilk.com/
Old 05-04-2004, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

There is another thing I heard about cheese that I am not sure of and it is that, Cheese causes constipation when consumed on a daily bases. It actualy bounds you up, or slows down the function of the intestines.

Has anyone heard this before??? :
I had a pediatrician tell me once don't give your child milk. It wasn't meant for her to have. I just don't get it You use milk in a lot of stuff.
I just not sure what to think anymore. My children Love chocolate Milk. How do I take that away. I also heard chocolate milk is better than just plain milk.

What do you think??

Steph
Old 05-04-2004, 01:51 PM

I use rice milk most of the time when I cook. I have never given my kids milk. I really believe that human milk is for humans and cow's milk is for cows.

I've heard that - binding- about cheese, but never experienced it myself, nor have my kids.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:12 PM

Okay, I was waaaaay off on the carrot thing

I wonder how much calcium from cows milk the human body can actually assimilate and use? Our systems have got to be much different from a baby cows.

I have recently eased up on our consumption of cheese and now we do occasionally as a "treat" have pizza with cheese on it. Its not a regular part of our diet and it is organic cheese. I do not think that very moderate amounts cheese is going to be horribly detrimental but eating lots of it I do believe will cause many problems like constipation (which I definitly agree with forumla fed babys can get very consitpated...but thats another topic ), wieght gain, colds and sickness when the body tries to detox to mucous and not to mention the pesticides and growth hormones effect on the body.

Steff,
If you make the choice not to give your kids chocolate milk and just quit giving it to them thats all you have to do...of course you should replace it with something like carob or raw cacao almond, rice or soy (if you use it) milk. Chocolate milk is not better than plain milk in any other way than the chocolate taste...processed chocolate is very hard on the body and can do nothing but bad things for your health. This is an addiction I am adament that my daughter does not get...not all chocolate is bad though so its not like you cant have it. Raw Organic Cacao beans are real chocolate and I love them they are delicious, you have to sweeten them with honey or agave nector unlike processed sugary bad chocolate. It is a natural craving to have but we need to eat it from its natural source, hope that makes some sense and doesnt seem like I was jumping all over you because I am not meaning too at all. Just answering you question in your post is all...

sarah

dust.gif
Old 05-28-2004, 07:19 PM

Yes, cheese can be very binding.

We don't eat cheese because we all have seasonal allergies, and milk and milk products just add to the congestion. Anyone with these kinds of allergies or asthma would benefit from reducing or eliminating cheese from their diet.

I am also concerned about the hormones given to cows, which can be avoided if you eat organic?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:24 PM

Organic cheeses should have no hormones in them. I prefer goat or sheeps cheese its easier to digest from what Ive read and it tastes soo good...but costs twice as much as cow cheese.

Its been a while now but when dd and I were on an all raw diet we used to eat raw cheese...that kind of scares me now...I'm thinking of trying some fermented cheese products like Kefir, anyone eat those??

sarah

dust.gif
Old 05-28-2004, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

rainys~mama

It is so strange the things you hear and what really holds true.
Thanks for answering.

I thought this thread died.
Steff

User Tag List