Nutrition for PP Thyroid Issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't gotten in to see my midwife yet, but I'm 15 mo PP and suspecting a thyroid issue.

I'm 25 lbs lighter than when I got pregnant, and a few kind souls have begun to notice.

Has anyone here been successful at treating an issue like this with nutrition &/or other natural modalities, like acupuncture?

Which foods or nutrients helped the most? I'm confused about whether iodine is a good or bad thing in this kind of situation!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2014, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
If you are losing weight, that could be a symptom of over active thyroid, so iodine would not be indicated. Iodine can increase thyroid activity.
I think if you are concerned and there seems no good reason for such a change in weight, I would see your HCP. The weight change may be due to change in diet and lifestyle (motherhood with active toddler), but perhaps there is another reason.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My gut tells me it's worth seeking help for. I made an appt with my midwife because my daughter is an avid nurser and I'd rather see someone who isn't as likely to try and convince me to force weaning as a first resort. I also would like to consider natural treatment options. I don't know how much diet and complementary medicine might help, but I'd like to explore those first. 

Tags
Nutrition Good Eating
User Tag List