How to wean off of caffeine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2004, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done it successfully, and what did you do?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2004, 05:48 AM

Cold turkey. Felt awful for three days, head was like lead, tired, dull fuzzy brain etc.. Drank TONS of water to flush out system. Took afternoon naps and waited out the storm. I took asprin or non asprin pain meds for the headaches.
HTH,
Kathryn
Old 05-03-2004, 09:13 AM

If you want to avoid the WORST headache of your life, I would suggest cutting down slowly over a week or two until you eliminate it entirely.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:46 AM

I quit cold turkey this time. I've been trying for years, doing it slowly but it never worked. I drank lots and lots of water. I believe the water helped. I did have some minor headaches but they weren't too bad. I don't even crave caffeine anymore and it's been 3 months!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:04 AM

I decided to go cold turkey OUCH
my heaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadddddddddddddddd!

I am on day 3.
Day 1, headache and took a nap which is something I haven't done in 3 years.
Day 2, grouchy, couldn't take noise, kids had to play outside with dad all day.
Day 3 , today, HEADACHE, but both kiddies are at school, well the little one until lunchtime, and I intend to do nothing. I am going to look through my homeopathics and see what may help. I also bought some Indian tea that is supposed to help, it is called Raja's Cup I believe and smells like coffee, but is non-caff tea.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:09 AM

Switching to green tea gives you a gentler form of caffeine and gives you good antioxidant support. I did this and avoided the headaches. I drank about 4 cups the first days and then lowered that amount over time.

Good luck
Old 05-03-2004, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've done both. Cold turkey sucks, but if you can plan to get lots of exercise (double your normal) and water (more than double your normal) in the first 3-4 days, you're set~no headaches.. I've weaned myself slowly, first cutting to half-caf, half-decaf and then phasing out the coffee habit once I was all decaf. I did the slow "wean" over two weeks.

I fall off the wagon easily, though. I'm on my second cup of the morning....
Old 05-03-2004, 11:55 AM

I would say cold turkey. I quit with both of my pregnancies, and was the hardest thing to give up of all the vices. (Of course I drink it like a madwoman now I'm not bfing or preg, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me) Seriously, tho, dh was starting to have major problems with the coffee, he drank more than anyone I know, and he just started drinking green tea (I know, it still has caffeine), and his belly has never been happier.

Mama to 3:
Old 05-03-2004, 05:45 PM

I did it slowly about 10 years ago. I started by replacing 1 tbsp of regular coffee with decaf. Then gradually adjusting the caf/decaf ratio as I felt ready. I can't remember how long it took but I don't remember any headaches or withdrawal with this method. I haven't drunk regular coffee in years and I rarely drink decaf these days.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:49 PM

This is a little OT but can someone tell me the advantages of going the no caffeine route? I never had a drop of coffee until after ds3 was born. Now I have to have at least 1 cup of coffee/day. I don't drink pop. I do drink regular chai, though. Not everyday, however. I really don't think I could stay awake without coffee. Even with excercise and at least 120 oz. of water. HELP!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Old 05-03-2004, 06:32 PM

no cold turkey here. why stress your bod out unnecessarily? green tea was a good suggestion. i used to be, literally, about a 20 c a day (big cups, more like 10 actual- 2 pots) when i had an extremely physically demanding job, but that was awhile ago. my half a pot a day successfully dropped to nil with judicious use of tea, then green tea, than herb teas. no headache, no misery, i didn't miss it. (now i'm back to a little; i sometimes put one spoonful of caf in my pot of decaf, but i usually just have a cup or two of tea. i find i am much more sensitive to the nuances now & get jumpy on quite teeny amounts.)

suse
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 PM

Green Tea worked for me!
I was up to about 3/4 of a pot of coffee per day and would get BLINDING headaches if I didn't get my coffee. I swithced to green tea, still got headaches, although much milder. After a few weeks I was able to cut out the green tea and all caffine for good. It's been at least 4 or 5 years now and I don't miss it at all. Now if I do consume any caffine it affects me horribly. I get the jitters and all shakey. I ordered a decaf iced coffee once from a coffee shop and realized immediately after I chugged it down that the girl gave me regular. That was an aweful experience!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:40 PM

I quit coffee over two years ago and switched, abruptly, to yerba mate tea. This still gives a little kick, from a caffeine-similar substance called mateine, but without the jittery, overanxious, sick-to-your-stomach, get-a-headache-if-you-go-without qualities (these were the reasons I felt the need to cut out coffee). Nice thing about yerba mate is that I can drink it all day if I like, with no ill effects. No trouble sleeping, no anxiety, no metallic taste in my mouth. If you Google yerba mate, you could find some info. I get mine at Trader Joe's: Guayaki, for $3.99 for a package of 25 bags.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:29 AM

Cold turkey is working for me. Why stress my body? Why prolong the inevitable I say. For me, I am an addict. I cannot wean gradually. Same when I quit smoking. Cold turkey, no patches, etc. Detox and Jones and get through it.
I am on day 4 and I feel great today!! yeah!!!

ekblad- for me, I get fiberous lumps in my breasts from too much caffeine for one. Also, I would get really anxious if I did not have any. I hate being a slave to a substance. For me, not healthy physically or mentally. Also my doctor suggested I get off of it because I do have some anxiety that can be attributed to caffeine.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:50 PM

I did this 6 years ago, and I could not do cold turkey. I am too much of a wimp. I quit caffeine in the same way I get into a cold swimming pool: ridiculously gradually. I went from two cups a day to 1 and a half, to one, to half, to 1/4, to 1/8...over the course of maybe a month. I was to the point where I was fine and happy drinking 1/8 cup a day until my midwife sternly said "Okay, you need to just give it up now!" So I did, and it was fine. I did occasionally drink green tea, and very occasionally drank decaf coffee (although I'm told this is bad because you're still getting the acid). I stayed caffeine free until ds was 4 (he quit nursing at 3.5). I had sworn I would never go back to drinking it, but we were in an extremely stressful situation where my son was in ICU for ten days, and when dh would come into the hospital room with a big cup of coffee and I was totally sleep-deprived, I could not resist. Now I'm a regular junkie again. I need to quit again. (Mmmm this iced coffee from Peets is sure good!) Oh - I also used Caffeine Withdrawl homeopathic pills which definitely helped - the best way I can describe it is that it did not cure the headaches, but it did take the edge off, big-time. I think the brand was Boiron, not sure.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad7
This is a little OT but can someone tell me the advantages of going the no caffeine route?
Your caffeine intake sounds pretty moderate to me. I've weaned myself off coffee at times when my intake has crept up to 3-4 cups a day. It's hard on the stomach, and I find it hard enough to drink enough water to counteract the effects of the caffeine. Also, it's just no fun to sleep in for an extra two hours on the weekend (ahhh, prekids...) and wake up with a headache because normally you've already had 2 cups by that time. Also, some babies don't sleep well if nursing from a mom consuming caffeine. I think that's a pretty common effect. I tried it for a month with no effect on DD, so back to the coffee I went. I know other people just don't like to be dependent on a chemical substance, no matter how little it is.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:29 PM

I did it! It has been since 5/1 , and I am free ! How about anyone else???
Old 05-19-2004, 03:02 PM

Trying!! Ugh. So hard. Yesterday I was so proud of myself for only drinking 1/2 cup and getting through the day just fine - then woke up this morning with a MAJOR withdrawl headache. Proceeded to drink 2 cups.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk4two
Has anyone done it successfully, and what did you do?

TIA
I've been caffeine free for four years now after I had horrible heart palpitations and had to go to the hospital - I was diagnosed with a caffeine overdose. When the problem first got brought up my doc said "So what do you drink 20-30 cups of caffeinated beverages a day?" and I thought "No way! Not nearly that!" But then he had me count them out and I realized that his number was pretty darn accurate.

I was told NOT to go cold turkey - to slowly wean off over the period of several weeks. Of course mine was an extreme case - if you are at less then 10 then I would still recommend weaning but you could cut down to one cup a day for a week or two and then cut it all out.

I don't miss caffeine at all!

Kitty

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I had horrible heart palpitations and had to go to the hospital
I did too, just went to the doc though. Made him do an EKG on me! He was like "hmm, 32 year old vegetarian that stays home..." did not seem like a likely heart attack victim :LOL So he asked about my caffeine, and suggested I stop. I did, and those palpitations are gone. I was only about a 3 cup a day gal so I guess I was sensitive!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:09 PM

Does anyone else get horrible nightmares or just have weird sleep or racing heartbeat if you have caffeine and/or lots of sugar before bed? The other night I had some chocoalte ice cream right before bed (2 scoops) and all night long my heart was racing, and I had a dream that someone was trying to kill me.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

I did it too. I'm still amazed. I had horrible headaches for several days but on day 2 when I drank a Pepsi and it didn't help I decided to just forge ahead. Congratulations to us!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:31 PM

:
Old 06-03-2004, 04:12 PM

Anyone working on quitting caffeine right now? I made a half-hearted attempt and failed, and now need to get serious about it!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:22 PM

Wow. I wish I could say you ladies were an inspiration to me...sad truth is, I have no desire to give up my coffee. I'm in love with my morning coffee And my afternoon iced tea, too

Congrats to you who have given it up!
Old 06-03-2004, 05:16 PM

I hear ya Wendy! But I want to be pg again and so need to quit.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:29 PM

working on it....it is a never ending process

i quit cold turkey (sort of) about 2 weeks ago and have been having an occasional diet coke here and there.

i feel better physcially without it. but i miss the java in the am. So i've been either doing herbal tea or decaf.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
Old 06-03-2004, 05:31 PM

hey. I've never listened to it but i just got this free cassette in the mail
"kicking the caffeine habit with stephen cherniske and caroline macdougall"

i got it cuz i thought i had ibs and had to quit caffeine, but it turns out that my gallbladder was fried and i had that removed last week. my half cup a joe per day is ok now.

anyway. if you want this, pm me and i'll send it out free - won't cost me but a stamp or two i'm sure. my treat

lm k
Old 06-03-2004, 07:43 PM

Hi, my name is ja mama and I'm a coffeeholic.

I want to be able to drink it because I love it, it's one of my favorite things. But I wish I weren't addicted. Every couple of months for the past year I'll cut myself back to one cup a day and even try to vary the time of day I drink it. But it's hopeless. I love coffee so much I think I'll go make myself a cup now.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:16 PM

oh this is so funny :LOL
I made an afternoon pot!
My friend and I always make a pot when we are working making stuff, scrapbooking, creating, yadda yadda yadda
but I have quit, when I was prego both times I quit, then I gradually go to 2 cups a day, plus an occasional(ok, weekly) afternoon cup or two.
But....
ok I'm confessioning :
I had 2 cups in the am
had a med ice coffee during noon errands
now my 2nd afternoon cup is cooling
I drank the water that was next to it
Does anyone know how much coffee and the caffiene effect bf?
I hate hate hate the headaches , but I also hate knowing I know how to cure them(with my coffee drug!)
Has anyone read 'sugar blues' by William Dufty? Now there's one thread I don't want to read! lol

User Tag List