• 1 Post By JudiAU
  • 1 Post By BitesofHealth
  • 1 Post By blemsbouife

#1 of 13 Old 06-10-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quick and healthy breakfast ideas?

So lately DH has been on a cereal craze and it's driving me crazy! Not healthy cereal either, you know the type chock-full of sugar, corn syrup, food dye, and preservatives. I didn't mind occasionally indulging in bad food, but it has now become his go-to breakfast and snack food. Then DD wants it too. Anyways I talked to him about it and he said "But it's easy!" So I'm kind of stumped on good alternatives that are as easy as cereal, and thought you Mamas would have some good ideas!

I'm open to suggestions that I cook/bake ahead of time too!
Here's what I have so far:
Banana Bread
Steel cut oatmeal (I cook ahead of time and he just microwaves)
Yogurt with Granola
Toast with melted cheese
Fruit
Breakfast sandwich (I could make ahead and freeze)

(I would really love some no/low sugar options!!!)
#2 of 13 Old 06-11-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can contact me, i give the perfect quick and healthy breakfast ideas, good luck
#3 of 13 Old 06-11-2014, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I do a variety of quick things like homemade oatmeal bars, boiled eggs, muffins, banana bread, oatmeal, cream of wheat, peanut butter waffles, and yogurt smoothies with fruit. I make sure there is actual fruit with each breakfast because it cuts down on sugar cravings.

I think suggesting he eat a fruit first to be a good role model and rethink his morning routine may help him find time to model better eating habits. Oatmeal, and other hot cereals, is a quick food to make even without a microwave, we boil water and pour it in the bowl before covering it and getting ready for the day. Ten minutes later you have breakfast. It stays hot under the plate even if you take longer to be ready to eat.

If he really wants the sugary food I suggest insisting he hide it and eat it when your kids aren't around. It's a very normal thing for parents to do.
#4 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 09:40 PM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quesdilla with beans.
Smoked salmon and bagel
scrambled egg with salad
soft boiled egg with toast fingers and asparagus
healthier muffins like those from weelicious
bullseye egg
pumabearclan likes this.
#5 of 13 Old 06-16-2014, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
We are a low-carb-high-fat family and for breakfast we eat:

-cold cuts or meat salad* & cheese
-soft boiled eggs (with 1/2 piece sprouted grain toast) and butter
-cold omelet or souffle (leftover from dinner) with mustard & hot sauce
-raw beef or fish sashimi with herbs

with a glass of organic vegetable juice

sometimes if we;re hungrier, raw cream or a few raw egg yolks as well

* there is no limit to what you can have here. I love jerky when I can get it. Ham, chicken, tuna, roast beef; all these made into "salad" is very economical if you add a few hard boiled eggs to the mix; it's also a great place to sneak in raw supplements like seaweed flakes, algae, or/and a drizzle of cod liver oil

Last edited by pumabearclan; 06-16-2014 at 12:05 PM.
#6 of 13 Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM

Oooooo I love this topic People think I'm crazy, but my go-to breakfast is liver with scrambled eggs, 1/4 of an avocado and homemade sauerkraut! It is surprisingly quick to make, and soooo nourishing!

Other quick breakfasts I sometimes make are:
-smoothies
-homemade granola with kefir or yogurt
-good-old bacon and eggs with a salad
-leftovers from dinner the night before
-a bowl of kefir or yogurt with chia seeds, hemp hearts and berries
-homemade egg nog (if you can find raw milk and good eggs)

Or have you thought of making a breakfast casserole with eggs, vegetables and sausage? You could make up a big batch on Monday and have it for the rest of the week as leftovers.
pumabearclan likes this.
#7 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 05:08 AM

yeah,sometimes if we;re hungrier, raw cream or a few raw egg yolks as well,thank you
pumabearclan likes this.
#8 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I've been on a journey learning about healthy eating and changing our habits. Hubby is open to try new things but sometimes still has a preconceived notion and I think that affects how he tastes new food. I'm trying to eat foods that I can read all the ingredients on the label, aren't loaded with high fructose corn syrup/agave nectar, preservatives, or food color. I try to make sure there is protein, veggies/fruit, and whole grains with every meal. We do really well for lunches and dinners, it just seems to be breakfast that misses the mark. I make lunches/dinner from scratch and since I'm not a morning person I don't have a lot of energy to jump up and make breakfast and tend to steer towards convenience foods that are typically unhealthy. Also hubby has a varying schedule and sometimes has to run out the door and there's not enough time for me to make breakfast.

With that said, I love all the ideas so far! I can't do the raw cream because there is no place near me to buy it. The eggs I get from the store and don't really trust to eat raw, our next place I want to raise some chickens so then I can verify they're cleanliness and will feel alright eating them raw. I love kefir, and smoothies in the morning! (The first time I made DH a banana/yogurt shake he didn't believe me that there was no added sugar!) I think I'm going try to start making breakfast the night before, that way it's grab and go for the next morning.
#9 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
I usually try to keep a stock of quick breakfast foods in the freezer so we can heat and go in the mornings if needed. Some of the favorites here are:

banana nut bread
pancakes
muffins
breakfast burritos
muffin tin breakfasts (do a search for muffin tin breakfast or meals and you'll find tons of suggestions)

I'll also freeze a few "family size" meals like quiche or casseroles to go. For other quick breakfast we use homemade oatmeal or grit packets and homemade granola or bars.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#10 of 13 Old 07-09-2014, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I often have dinner leftovers for breakfast. This morning I had chicken soup with bread and butter.
#11 of 13 Old 07-10-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslandess View Post
I think I'm going try to start making breakfast the night before, that way it's grab and go for the next morning.
Using the PP's idea: could you make ingredients that can be used in a cold wrap, pita or burrito?
#12 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM

I love a good, healthy smoothie. I read a blog where she pre-packed her smoothies so all she had to do was stick it in the blender. She got freezer ziplocks and put whatever she wanted into the individual bags. I suggest any combo of, frozen strawberries, banana, frozen blueberries, frozen raspberries or blackberries, fresh spinach, fresh kale, apple (with skin), frozen mangos, chia seeds, steel cut oats, etc. I have a magic bullet which is glorious because it takes a second to blend and is the quickest clean up ever. I got mine at costco so it was discounted and it's not that expensive to begin with. You'll definitely get your moneys worth. If you'd rather make a big batch, then I'd suggest sticking with a regular blender. Oh! and I only add water to it when I'm ready to blend...no yogurt, milk, juice, or anything (I feel it keeps it healthier) Hope that idea helps!
#13 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My mother does breakfast burritos ahead of time, and freezes them. And its pretty high fat I guess, but I've done casseroles in the crockpot, with hashbrowns, cheese, sausage, onions, and milk. I got the idea from pinterest.

I do love apple, banana, or zucchini bread for a light breakfast.

Jocelyn caffix.gif, totally in love with my hubby and best friend! nak.gifSAH Mama to one smiley baby girl 10/11/13 Artist/Writer/Farm Manager  familybed1.gif  saynovax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page