how do you know if you are overfeeding 20month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2004, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is an odd question for me because my dd is only 23 pounds at 20 months, but here goes.

My dd doesn't talk yet (she says maybe 3-4 words). Also, I'm not confident yes always means yes and no always means no. If I ask her if she wants liver and onions she'll nod yes (KWIM?) so here's the deal. We eat a lot of brown rice--daily. She LOVES IT! Which is great, but I don't know how much to let her eat, I don't want her to make herself sick. I usually start her at about 1/2 cup-3/4 cup (plus she is eating veggies/tofu etc. with the rice) well, today she threw her tofu to the dog, at 1 piece of broccoli and downed the rice before I knew it. So, I gave her another 1/4 cup and then another quarter cup. Every time i ask her if she wants more she always nods yes, but I can't just let her eat and eat......or can I. Should I be giving her the rice until she physically pushes it away? I don't really believe in eating until your full, just eating until your satisfied. After she ate a little more than a cup of the rice (and there was none left) I took her plate and asked if she was done (she nodded yes) and that was it...but I could have taken the plate after the first 1/2 cup and asked if she was done and she still would have nodded yes.

So, this is a daily occurrence for us. do any of you have any ideas on how to guage how much to feed toddlers?

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2004, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, you might try to wait to give more only if she asks for it (points at the bowl, brings the bowl to you, etc....) But I wouldn't worry about it. My kids have gone thru weeks where all they want in cheese and tortilla, and just when I start to get worried, their new kick is garbanzo beans... I wouldn't make to big a deal about it, because kids naturally regulate how much they eat, their bodies still communicate with them.

I don't ask if they want more, I want them to recognize that in themselves. (I don't refuse them either, I just want food and eating to be governed more by their tummy than anything else....

That is just my two cents!!! HTH!!!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 05-06-2004, 05:11 PM

My son eats way more than I could imagine possible, but he's not overweight. For quantity, I leave the total amount to him. I don't force him to eat anything, nor do I deny him seconds, but I do tell him that that's all for now when he wants a lot of something (like your daughter and rice -- although I have been known to let him eat a whole cucumber if he has had a variety along with it). Rarely is it a bigger deal than him asking twice. Almost always, he starts eating something else.

I know your example is very specific, but can you mix stuff in the rice?

Edited to add: my son shakes his head no when he means yes, sometimes -- it is very confusing trying to figure out what he means!
Old 05-06-2004, 05:15 PM

Meals at my house work along similar lines as Shelley's ds is 27 months so he can say all done (and pushes the bowl away - from preverbal) or say more (and point to the bowl - also from preverbal).

He has to ask, but with his favorite meals he can sometimes out eat me. If he wants he gets it and if he doesn't finish the dog or the compost pile gets it.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 05-06-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thank you everyone...very helpful.

So, If I give her a specific amount of food and just wait for her to ask for more, should I go by the toddler serving guide to determine how much to initially give her?

I guess even though I know she COULD eat a whole pile of rice(or anything else), I don't want to teach her that it's normal to eat like that, KWIM?

maybe I'll just go by the guide.

I'm going to post this in it's own category, but I'll post here to.

Does anyone have a link for a vegetarian food guide pyramid (w/serving sizes) for toddlers?

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Old 05-07-2004, 01:34 PM

I always let DS decide when he is finished. Some days he will eat so much that it shocks me, while other days he is pretty picky. I have read that we are all (with a few exceptions) born with the ability to self-regulate our eating. So, if your DD is eating a lot every day, but not overweight- then I would think that she is just a hungry little girl with a need for calories. I would offer her more until she says that she is all done. I love the book "New Vegetarian Baby," but don't have any links to offer.

~Shawnna~ Lucas 11/02 Wyatt 10/05

User Tag List