Does anyone have a link for... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-06-2004, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I need a link for a vegetarian food guide pyramid for toddlers...anyone have one?

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-06-2004, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YES!!! I have an actual triangle one, really great from Vegetarian Baby and Child magazine, from the Dec 2000 edition. I photo copied it and it has been hanging on my fridge for years. It is no longer in printVeg Baby and Child Dec 2000 issue
But you can order it here! It is called the New Veg* n Pyramid
#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2004, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
here's a quote from veg source--the above listed link. As I was reading it (by the way thank you for the link) I came across this quote which really rubbed me funny. I don't necessarily think the dairy is REALLY good for you, but this is how they described milk.

Milk is an excellent source of growth hormones, fat, cholesterol, allergenic proteins, blood, pus, antibiotics, bacteria, and viruses, and what the dairy industry touts as "the perfect food."

OK...I understand that this is a vegan site, but this would lead me to believe that all of these "bacteria, pus, blood etc" is also in breastmilk, since it is essentially the same thing with a different nutrient make-up for a different species. So, either the "yucky" is ok if it is in breastmilk, or the quote is just another play on words by vegans to show how bad milk is for you.

ps...i just found this interesting and would like to hear what others have to say. I was vegan for about a year and have recently started eating dairy again.

Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#4 of 4 Old 05-08-2004, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
T "bacteria, pus, blood etc" is also in breastmilk, since it is essentially the same thing with a different nutrient make-up for a different species
well, the flora in human milk is relative to the environment of the baby. The flora in another species milk is not. Florida allows the highest white cell count in cow milk in the South.
Yes, the dairy industry touts the "got milk" marketing and of COURSE veg sites warn consumers in a blunt way.
If you really want the milk of another species, go for the organic where the cows are not kept on BgH, and keep mastitis all the time from over production and thereby flow pus and the trace antibiotics they have to give the cows.
Children do very well with no dairy and I get lots of great suggestions from the vegan food pyramid I posted

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page