2Likes
  • 1 Post By spiderdust
  • 1 Post By luckiest

#1 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
GFDF..hungry all the time!!!!

The title days it all!!! My 6 year old is gfdfsf for food allergy...I always was at home but out I wasnt...Well a few weeks ago I decided to join her....and like I said...I am hungry ALL the time@!!!! Dont get me wrong...I feel great and am dropping some much needed weight...So does that feeling pass?? I made a Yummy Beef Satay with onion and mushrooms with Jasmine Rice...I ate a Good bowl and now here I am an hour later eating Another...lol

So...is This normal?
#2 of 15 Old 07-12-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What's your fat intake like?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#3 of 15 Old 07-13-2014, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Well Our meals are pretty much a meat with a starch and a veggie...sometimes I make pasta meals with gf pasta..I use Canola or Olive oils...We eat a lot of eggs...I use coconut Milk for cooking or baking...I dont drink it though...I like Rice milk on my cereal...

Should I be eating something with more fats?
#4 of 15 Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I would think increasing the fats would help also. Especially if you were used to high fat foods or sweets and then stopped them. We also use rice milk for cereal/dunking cookies, etc and then use almond milk for drinking or cooking. Coconut milk is just as good. I would suggest trying coconut oil in place of the olive and canola oils. It's high fat and might help. I'd also consider adding more nuts and things like peanut butter as a possibility. We use a lot of rice and potatoes and they're pretty filling.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#5 of 15 Old 07-14-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...its been better the last day or so...I think I am getting used to it...lol...I was hungry earlier so I got some crackers with PB and it helped...I will see about coconut oil...is It Good for cholesteral? That is why I am switching...It runs Bad in my family and mine is elevated enoufh to Have my attention...
#6 of 15 Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Hmmm.. Idk about the cholesterol and coconut oil. Actually I don't really know anything about cholesterol anyways so I'm not help there. We started making the switch when dd needed to be tested for Celiac. Now that they said she isn't I'm at a loss and so distracted by everything else that I've let it slip although we do eat mostly GF and all DF since she is lactose intolerance. The coconut oil became big for us during that time since I was also looking into other specialty diets like paleo, FODMAPS, and more that may/may not help her. I hope someone can come along and help with the cholesterol issue.

Actually it looks like it is good for you. Here are a few links I found:
http://www.naturepacific.com/content...conut-oil.html
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-in-women.aspx
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/surpr...ts-coconut-oil

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#7 of 15 Old 07-15-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have done several whole 30 challenges (basically no grains, dairy, sugar for 30 days) and the one thing that helped me was to make sure every meal had a fat and a protein. If I skimped on the protein and only ate fruit for breakfast I would be STARVING by lunch. If I had some apples and almond or cashew butter with some coconut flakes sprinkled on top, I would be hungry out of habit, but able to hold off until lunch. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water! If you check out the whole 30 meal planning template it gives you a good idea of how much to include at every meal! Lots of great info on that site. HTH!

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf
#8 of 15 Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Regarding cholesterol and fat intake... keep in mind that I am not a nutritionist or a doctor, but am basing this on articles I've read, my own experiences, the experiences of friends, etc.

I've noticed that high refined starch/sugar seems to affect blood cholesterol levels a lot more than saturated fat intake. Olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado are things that I consider good sources of fats that are gfdf. Of course, go with what your medical provider recommends.

Also, fat is more satisfying than starch or sugar (at least for me), so I find I actually need less food to satisfy me than I do with a higher starch meal/snack. For example, almond butter with celery sticks or with apple slices works as a better snack for me than the same amount of almond butter with crackers. Try putting less starch on your plate and more veggies and see if that helps with the "always hungries". It's sometimes harder to pull this off, depending on budgets, but a side dish can be made of less expensive veggies... coleslaw or sauteed cabbage or steamed carrots or sliced celery & carrot stir fried together, etc.
pumabearclan likes this.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#9 of 15 Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
We eat a high fat diet. Most calories from fat. Less than 100g carbs per day & 70-100g protein. Have been almost 10 years. Super health.

What you may experiencing there is "induction flu" and the best way to get through it is to stop surfing along your carb limits and get it over with by cutting back (and coping with withdrawal) once and for all. It took me 18 months, I was pre-diabetic, it was agonizing at times, but I never look back, my health & mood are super now!

A low-carb forum will help you with support & tips. Good luck
#10 of 15 Old 07-26-2014, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Less than 100g carbs per day & 70-100g protein. Have been almost 10 years. Super health.
#11 of 15 Old 08-06-2014, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
These two websites may have some recipes that help you:

http://www.elanaspantry.com

http://brittanyangell.com/

I avoid canola oil, it's not good for you. Heating olive oil can make it unhealthy. I don't buy it since I rarely use oil unless I'm cooking with it. I use avocado or macadamia oil. Sometimes coconut oil (I don't like the taste it adds to most recipes.) Refined coconut oil doesn't have the taste, but most refined coconut oil uses hexane which I avoid. I do buy this coconut oil when I have a need for the firmness coconut oil can give but I don't want the taste:
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/pure-coconut-oil.htm

Here's info on which oils are healthy and which aren't.
http://theconsciouslife.com/omega-3-...oking-oils.htm

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#12 of 15 Old 08-09-2014, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
The intense hunger is transitional - you're switching from being a "sugar burner" to a "fat burner" and as you're making the adjustment it can make your body think it doesn't have anything to burn bc it's still in carb mode. It passes as you adjust to efficiently utilizing fat for energy. It's sometimes called the low-carb flu.
pumabearclan likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#13 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I always had high cholesterol, horrible ratios, and high lipids. I took out gluten/dairy/soy and started high fat diet (lots of bacon, coconut oil, avocado, etc.) and my cholesterol went down to perfect levels/ratios. Just sayin' as anecdotal evidence. Personally I think high cholesterol is from bad carbs. We're gluten/dairy/soy free here (6 or 7 years). I have a recipe blog if you need ideas, but we use fattier cuts of meat than normal.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#14 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
I always had high cholesterol, horrible ratios, and high lipids. I took out gluten/dairy/soy and started high fat diet (lots of bacon, coconut oil, avocado, etc.) and my cholesterol went down to perfect levels/ratios. Just sayin' as anecdotal evidence. Personally I think high cholesterol is from bad carbs. We're gluten/dairy/soy free here (6 or 7 years). I have a recipe blog if you need ideas, but we use fattier cuts of meat than normal.

Thank you!!! I would love to peak at your blog!!
#15 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Blog is listed on the bottom of my post (I forgot it was in the signature portion from a few years ago, when I was more active here).

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page