Food ideas for 4 y/o (FTT and celiac) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Food ideas for 4 y/o (FTT and celiac)

Hey everyone! I have a 4 y/o with celiac. She was diagnosed in March after a + blood test and then endoscopy which showed pretty severe intestinal damage.

My little girl has always been very small and underweight with poor growth since she was and infant. Since her diagnosis she has put on weight. She has gained 3.5 lbs since she last saw her GI Dr. in April (she now weighs a little over 26 lbs). She is completely GF other than possible trace amounts here and there.

Although she has gained she is still 1% for height and weight. I also have a 2 y/o who was also diagnosed with celiac when she was. He is also struggling with the same issues although he's not as underweight (5%) and has a great appetite. He gets more gluten exposure since he doesn't understand and occasionally sneaks food and his daycare staff slip up sometimes too.

So, I saw the GI dr. last week and she prescribed 2 Pediasure drinks a day for both kids. I'm not too crazy about the ingredients in those and would like some healthier options to up their calories and fat and hopefully weight!

The 2 y/o is not picky other than disliking the Pediasure (figures). My 4 y/o will drink them but is picky with food and much of the time has a poor appetite.

So, if anyone has any ideas for nutrient, calorie fat, etc. dense foods/meals/snacks/supplements please let me know!

Thanks!

Single Mama to five 6 and under!

Last edited by josie423; 08-26-2014 at 12:05 PM.
#2 of 4 Old 09-06-2014, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Hugs to you, Josie. FTT is a heart-wrenching label to have for your kiddos. My DD2 was hospitalized at just over 3 months for FTT and it was the hardest experience of my life.

She is in the 2nd percentile now, at 19 months, and only on the WHO chart. She doesn't have any allergies or Celiac as your little one does, so it is a different scenario for us, but I wanted to share what I found helpful.

1. Daily bone broth/home-made stock. The gelatin content is healing to the digestive tract. My DD2 had really severe reflux which led to her feeding aversion. The bone broth was really helpful and she still drinks it. I cook our veggies and grains in stock as well.

2. If she tolerates them, eggs are your friend. I make a soaked baked oatmeal with coconut oil, butter, eggs, and either coconut milk or heavy cream. If you google baked soaked oatmeal a bunch of recipes will pull up.

3. Pates, organ meats. Your DD is older so this may be tricky, but it is worth a try because they pack a serious nutritional punch.

4. I use lots and lots of Paleo baking recipes. Nut flours are calorie-dense and most Paleo recipes require lots of eggs for binding so they are caloric.

5. Carbs!! I fed my DD2 mostly animals products--meats and fats, but we saw a big turn around when we started giving lots more complex starches like root veggies with home-made mayo to dip them in, sweet potatoes with lots and lots of butter, roasted squash, etc...

6. Smoothies with an avocado base. They puree up really smooth and creamy and compliment loads of flavors like berries and banana. I'd add a little ricotta cheese too for extra protein.

7. Raw milk. We no longer have access to raw, but at the time we were really working hard on her healing/weight gain, I had milk from jersey cows (super high fat content) and added 2 TBSP heavy cream for every cup of whole milk I gave her.

8. Fatty treats. Both my kids love butter mints (again, Google has tons of options here) and the multitudes of Paleo coconut oil/butter treats. I mix equal parts coconut oil with coconut butter and the zest of a lime or lemon, and a spoonful of honey and divide it into mini muffin cups then freeze. They make a nice sweet treat with lots of good fats. Home-made ice-cream with minimal sweetener, puddings, custards made with coconut milk.... Yum!

9. Have I totally over-whelmed you yet? If I serve a grain, like rice, I cook it in stock with a spoonful of gelatin, then I add fat. So, instead of just buttered boiled rice, we have brown rice casserole made with cream, butter, and an egg. Or I make a sauce with caulflower, garlic, parmesan and cream to make basic brown rice more like a risotto.

The ages and causes for our kiddos is different, but I hope you find something beneficial for your family and right away. Hang in there, mama!
#3 of 4 Old 09-06-2014, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie423 View Post
Hey everyone! I have a 4 y/o with celiac. She was diagnosed in March after a + blood test and then endoscopy which showed pretty severe intestinal damage.

My little girl has always been very small and underweight with poor growth since she was and infant. Since her diagnosis she has put on weight. She has gained 3.5 lbs since she last saw her GI Dr. in April (she now weighs a little over 26 lbs). She is completely GF other than possible trace amounts here and there.

Although she has gained she is still 1% for height and weight. I also have a 2 y/o who was also diagnosed with celiac when she was. He is also struggling with the same issues although he's not as underweight (5%) and has a great appetite. He gets more gluten exposure since he doesn't understand and occasionally sneaks food and his daycare staff slip up sometimes too.

So, I saw the GI dr. last week and she prescribed 2 Pediasure drinks a day for both kids. I'm not too crazy about the ingredients in those and would like some healthier options to up their calories and fat and hopefully weight!

The 2 y/o is not picky other than disliking the Pediasure (figures). My 4 y/o will drink them but is picky with food and much of the time has a poor appetite.

So, if anyone has any ideas for nutrient, calorie fat, etc. dense foods/meals/snacks/supplements please let me know!

Thanks!

Hi!!! First off I just want you to know I have been exactly where you are!!! My girl turned 7 yesterday, gluten allergy and FTT...Her ped also wanted me to do the Pediasure because L was so tiny..I declined because she is also dairy allergic and those drinks are full of crap...I have always used lots of good oils and fats...she is eating well and growing again so I don't worry...

It took almost a year of healing before she started to grow again...but she is still tiny and petite...I have accepted that she will always be smaller but she isn't abnormally so anymore...

You are headed in the right direction but I would work towards making sure they stay 100%...they will heal inside so much faster...

We eat lots of meats, potatoes, rice, hm bone broth soups ect...she loves avocodos and is doing better with eggs...think lots of protein...oh and one other thing I do if I notice L dropping weight ect is give her organic baby rice cereal with pears 2xs a day...she loves it and it seems to help her maintain and even gain a little weight...

I know the FTT is scary but it will be ok...you know the cause and can help her heal...

Last edited by Mylie; 09-06-2014 at 12:19 PM.
#4 of 4 Old 09-06-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Baby's Only makes a natural Pediasure without the gunk...it's called Pediasmart...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page